Cable boxes

Read that yesterday.

Unbelievable that a box like that can use more than a fridge/freezer. Just think about that unnecessary use x millions of households.

Makes me all the more happy we cut the cable cord (figuratively) ~15 years ago. An antenna is good enough, and in turn of picture quality for HDTV, it's better b/c it's uncompressed. I had been looking at a standalone DVR unit, just for the handiness of recording some programs, but I may wait until there's one that draws less power.

Wow that is shocking, my family has 2 in our house. Very upsetting to see they waste so much power. I hope that cable companies find a way to shut them down or put them in sleep mode when the box isn't in full use.

I shut my off but its still on (With the time on it). Also I would shut mine off but it take forever to reboot when you fully unplug it.

Read that yesterday.

Unbelievable that a box like that can use more than a fridge/freezer. Just think about that unnecessary use x millions of households

I wrote about this yesterday:

http://www.neowin.net/news/cable-boxes-and-dvrs-use-more-power-than-refrigerators

The thing to note is that the article is comparing TWO set-top boxes and saying, "Look, that's more than one appliance!" A little misleading.

That said, how do you propose that the box be turned off? It's always recording -- that's why when you turn the TV on and see a show on that you like, you can rewind it an hour to watch from the start. It also needs to be awake enough to know when to start recording a show, as well as to download new guide data. I suppose it could automatically wake up once a day to download the guide data, and just spin down the drives and underclock the CPU while waiting for the next program and people would just be able to sacrifice the continuous buffer in exchange for lower electricity bills.

In our new house we are cutting back to two tv's with connected dvr's. I would be in favor of having boxes that do go into deep sleep. My guess is that a state, likely California, will mandate a change. Once this happens there is likely to be widespread change. I've noticed the DVR also produces significant heat. This further points to inefficiency.

In our new house we are cutting back to two tv's with connected dvr's. I would be in favor of having boxes that do go into deep sleep. My guess is that a state, likely California, will mandate a change. Once this happens there is likely to be widespread change. I've noticed the DVR also produces significant heat. This further points to inefficiency.

All electronics generate heat... A DVR is a computer in a box, so of course it's going to generate heat, especially with a hard drive in it. :)

Again, if you turn it off, how will it record anything...? At that point, why have a DVR...?:unsure: