OT: Dogs

Mediaman

One of my neighbors just got a puppy, the kids tell me its an American Bull Dog. To me and my wife it looks like a Pit Bull. Does anyone here know about this breed and should we be concerned since neither of our back yards are fenced and we have two small children. Also this neighbor lets his 5 year old daughter play unsupervised on our street (its a dead end street). The kids also are out at night, one evening during the summer, the 7 year old boy was riding his bike. It was pitch dark, as our street has absolutely no street lights on it. So our conern is if they have such a "hands off" approach to raising their kids, should we fear what this dog may grow up to become?

I am pretty sure that the American Bulldogs are the taller ones... Where the British type are more squat and fatter. They are not pit bulls. My sister-in-law has a British Bulldog and the thing couldn't hurt a fly.

I heard somewhere that Bulldogs are the only dog that can't swim? Is this true? I gues they sink because they are so squat and muscled?

????

My friend used to raise American Bulldogs, although they are very strong and look similar to pitbulls, they are very good dogs who are much better tempered than pitbulls.

I am pretty sure that the American Bulldogs are the taller ones... Where the British type are more squat and fatter.  They are not pit bulls.  My sister-in-law has a British Bulldog and the thing couldn't hurt a fly.

I heard somewhere that Bulldogs are the only dog that can't swim?  Is this true?  I gues they sink because they are so squat and muscled?

????

165403[/snapback]

The British Bulldog is one that has been altered by the kennel club into a freak of ill health, the original British Bulldog breed resembles the American version.

Would not surprise me that with the current version of the British breed they would sink and not swim, the poor things are barely capable of running.

One of my neighbors just got a puppy, the kids tell me its an American Bull Dog.  To me and my wife it looks like a Pit Bull.  Does anyone here know about this breed and should we be concerned since neither of our back yards are fenced and we have two small children.  Also this neighbor lets his 5 year old daughter play unsupervised on our street (its a dead end street).  The kids also are out at night, one evening during the summer, the 7 year old boy was riding his bike.  It was pitch dark, as our street has absolutely no street lights on it.  So our conern is if they have such a "hands off" approach to raising their kids, should we fear what this dog may grow up to become?

165395[/snapback]

The temperment is part genetic and part parenting. The breed was raised to bait bulls, and that can play a part. The rest is imparted by the owners. You can have the calmest breed in the world, but bad owners can turn it dangerous for kids.

You know the neighbors better than any of us, so we cannot speak about them. From what you have said, I would not let my kids around that dog if it is off of the leash.

I heard somewhere that Bulldogs are the only dog that can't swim?

165403[/snapback]

If that's true, it explains a lot about the Marines' use of the bulldog as a mascot.... :devil:

Back to the original question, tho. Realize that any dog has the potential to bite if they've been raised by people who just don't care. But also, don't assume the worst. I would recommend you go there with your kids and introduce them to the dog by putting out a clenched fist, in a nonthreatening manner, to let the dog sniff it and get acclimated to them. A lot of problems arise when dogs are just too overexcited to meet and sniff new things. If it jumps, raise your knee to block it out of the way or give it a chest thump and say Down! Don't let it get the idea that it can do that to you, b/c the first impression is big. Get it out of the way in a calm, confident and stern but friendly manner. Continue to watch them closely, tho.

The British Bulldog is one that has been altered by the kennel club into a freak of ill health, the original British Bulldog breed resembles the American version.

Would not surprise me that with the current version of the British breed they would sink and not swim, the poor things are barely capable of running.

165421[/snapback]

That is what strikes me about that breed... Yet, my sister-in-law and husband felt compelled to get on... Loveable yes... When it runs it can barley get a breath out and when the mass of folded skin passes gas, you don't want to be around! :devil:

:D

If that's true, it explains a lot about the Marines' use of the bulldog as a mascot.... :D

Back to the original question, tho. Realize that any dog has the potential to bite if they've been raised by people who just don't care. But also, don't assume the worst. I would recommend you go there with your kids and introduce them to the dog by putting out a clenched fist, in a nonthreatening manner, to let the dog sniff it and get acclimated to them. A lot of problems arise when dogs are just too overexcited to meet and sniff new things. Get it out of the way in a calm manner. Continue to watch them closely, tho.

165431[/snapback]

You are gonna catch flak for that one! And to think, they are always knocking the "squids?"

:devil:

Bulldog?  You obviously meant doberman.

165457[/snapback]

The Marines did use them to root out Japanese snipers in the south Pacific.

Is that your doggy Darin? Looks like a red?

Growing up we had one... The best dog in the world... Except the one time my car was broken into in the middle of summer, windows open and the blasted thing slept like a baby in bed, 20 feet away!

:devil:

No, I didn't.

Dobies are nice too, tho. :)

165476[/snapback]

Thanks... I always thought that the term "Devil Dogs" refered to the use of Doberman Pinschers in WWII, in the Pacific Theater? I didn't know it stretched back to WWI and the bulldog... I guess the term is applied to other breeds? Or just the animals the Marines use?

While breeds tend to have a certain temperament, I think the individual differences between dogs within a breed need to be recognized, as well as upbringing. Some Pit Bulls, raised in a loving family atmosphere are not the vicious killers the breed has a reputation for being. The longer legged English bulldogs that are the ancestors of today's squat versions were fighters, but most English Bulldogs are pretty good natured. I think the American Bulldog probably has some of the bloodlines of the older English Bulldog, but that doesn't necessarily include temperament. I wouldn't be paranoid about it. I might, if I were you, go to my neighbor, express the fears I had, and ask if he would mind letting his dog get acquainted with your family, including your children, so their dog recognizes you as friends.

I've come to learn that it really doesn't matter the breed of the dog, it all depends on the owners. It's true some breeds need more special attention than others, but even a Pit Bull and/or American Bulldogs can become loving pets.

But judging by what you said about these people and their daughter, it sounds to me they only want the dog for entertainment, which means it probably won't get the attention to detail it really needs. So i'd be precautious.

She's black.  All three of mine are.

Here's her story

Karen gave her too us when she could no longer take care of her.

165554[/snapback]

"duct taped her mouth shut? WTF is wrong with people?

Way to go Darin...

Got my pooch from the pound and if anyone is thinking of adding a dog to the fam, I would ask that you at least stop by the pound first. . . I was told after I adopted sadie that she had 6 days until she was to be put down. She was a 7 month old puppy.

Anyway, she isnt purebred, she doesnt have papers, and her coloring wont win her any awards. She is, indeed, however, my sidekick. If you don't "need" a purebred (and who the hell really does) the pound is the way to go. ..