Fox Sports Ranking of NFL Franchises...

Not much surprise here...though I diagree with giving the owner a 1...unless a 0 was not possible....ON paper, they are worse than I think they will be on the field....

32. Buffalo Bills: 14.5

Owner: 1

Quarterback: 3.5

Coach: 3

Front office: 1

Coaching staff: 4

Intangibles: 2

I feel so terrible for the amazing and diehard Bills fans. They deserve an in-touch owner and a team with a plan. And the Bills put in pay cuts for all employees and cut pensions during the lockout. Awesome.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/green-bay-packers-are-best-nfl-organization-in-2011-rankings-060111

how do you place a value on "intangibles"?

also I disagree.

Adam Schein is a joke and I cant listen to him on NFL Radio. If you look at these ratings and how the discrepancy is between teams, this whole thing is a joke. I realize the Bills would be low on the list... but I would certainly rank them ahead of Carolina and Cincinnati at this point at the very least.

New Orleans #2?

Not much surprise here...though I diagree with giving the owner a 1...unless a 0 was not possible....ON paper, they are worse than I think they will be on the field....

I feel so terrible for the amazing and diehard Bills fans. They deserve an in-touch owner and a team with a plan. And the Bills put in pay cuts for all employees and cut pensions during the lockout. Awesome.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/green-bay-packers-are-best-nfl-organization-in-2011-rankings-060111

I kinda think that ownership and front office are graded a little too high? Other than that, nothing that isn't unexpected.

I thought this article was way out of whack. How is Oakland rated higher than us? especially with some of the categories for grades?! I really disagree. Do we deserve to be 1 of the bottom 3 or 4? By all means yes, but not last based on his arguments.

Have to agree that Oakland would need to be below us. They make terrible trades and first round picks. Al Davis is a complete kook. He runs coaches out of town on a regular basis even when they are making progress. They went 6-0 in the AFC West last season! Carolina sucks, but they were good just 2-3 years ago-We have sucked for 11. Cinci is a mess, but were in the playoffs 2 seasons ago. What about Miami? They have zero plan, and are up and down each year and havent had a QB since Marino-They suck too. San Fran? When was the last time they mattered? This is a cyclical business. We have blown forever, but we are inching along. Trust that they day will come where we'll be good, and NY jets and Patriots will suck again. It is just the way it goes

Edited by BuffaloWest

I can't say I really disagree with his "numbers" on the Bills, but this kind of stuff is mostly arbitrary BS. It almost looks like this was done along the lines of team records, not the "franchise"...If Wilson is a 1 (no argument here), what about Al Davis? How is he not the worst?

I also agree with GB being first, I have long thought that their organization was run very well...And it should be a model for how the Bills should be run. After all we have similar market sizes.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

How are so many 1st time coaches and new staffs graded so much higher than the Bills head coach and coaching staff? What about "Raider Nation" gives them a 7 for intangibles? How do the Bills get a 1 for front office but the Redskins, with their meddling owner, an 8? They also gave the 'skins a 5 for owner. The Cardinals got points for a potential QB.

You could nitpick it to death and reassign points here and there, but probably easier to realize that it's meaningless offseason fluff and that the Bills probably belong in the bottom third of the league.

How are so many 1st time coaches and new staffs graded so much higher than the Bills head coach and coaching staff? What about "Raider Nation" gives them a 7 for intangibles? How do the Bills get a 1 for front office but the Redskins, with their meddling owner, an 8? They also gave the 'skins a 5 for owner. The Cardinals got points for a potential QB.

You could nitpick it to death and reassign points here and there, but probably easier to realize that it's meaningless offseason fluff and that the Bills probably belong in the bottom third of the league.

Can't really argue with you there. I agree with most of the top of the list, then after the top ten, it really seems pointless, and atrocious.

I know it's been said a ton, but the only way to get the monkey, target, whatever you want to call it, off of our backs is to start winning games.

They should take Maybin's contract and put it in the pension fund for employees.

how do you place a value on "intangibles"?

also I disagree.

Adam Schein is a joke and I cant listen to him on NFL Radio. If you look at these ratings and how the discrepancy is between teams, this whole thing is a joke. I realize the Bills would be low on the list... but I would certainly rank them ahead of Carolina and Cincinnati at this point at the very least.

New Orleans #2?

Adam Schein = Sad Machine

I like how any time the Bills are rated poorly or discussed as being a failed franchise by anyone in the media they are automatically labeled as being a joke. I would figure these people know a hell of a lot more about the NFL than the typical fan. It's ok to have hope and be loyal to our Bills - but it seems that most fans have lost touch with reality. Until they prove something - expect the media to continue to point out the fact that our franchise is at the bottom of the league.

the sport is cyclical. 10 years ago the patriots were a below average team with no history of winning anything, with an aging quarterback, and a retread coach.

then bledsoe fell on a football, broke a few ribs, they hired a guy with a camcorder to sit in the stands, and theyre now the 4th best team in the nfl, according to this list.

problem with the bills is - they were (justifiably) written off and forgotten about long long ago by the national media. you can't expect a national journalist to share our optimism with this front office. to us, picking 3rd in the draft and taking a stud is a step in the right direction. to most, its just more of buffalo picking fairly early in round 1. the only thing were guilty of is thinking other people care more about the bills than they actually do.

I like how any time the Bills are rated poorly or discussed as being a failed franchise by anyone in the media they are automatically labeled as being a joke. I would figure these people know a hell of a lot more about the NFL than the typical fan. It's ok to have hope and be loyal to our Bills - but it seems that most fans have lost touch with reality. Until they prove something - expect the media to continue to point out the fact that our franchise is at the bottom of the league.

I agree with everything you said, other than the highlighted part...if you watch national media types talk about the Bills, it is very clear, more often than not, that most know almost nothing about the current franchise, but base their conclusions and opinions on yesterdays newspapers. It's like when you pick up one of those "NFL preview" mags, and they talk about players that aren't even on the team anymore.

We notice when they give inaccurate information about our team, just as I am sure that fans of about 2/3's of the teams in the NFL notice when their team is talked about. That is because, to the national media, there are really only about 8-10 teams that matter, the rest are irrelevant...which leads to the low "intangibles" rating. Many fans analyze the Bills with their hearts, not their heads...but they are fans, that is what they are prone to doing...but I would hazard to guess, there are at least a dozen or so people that post here, that could give a more informative, and honest evaluation of the Buffalo Bills.

For me, jury is still out on Buddy Nix as a GM...but I like the coach.

the sport is cyclical. 10 years ago the patriots were a below average team with no history of winning anything, with an aging quarterback, and a retread coach.

It is cyclical and it isn't. You have teams that rebuild and become playoff-caliber like Atlanta, Green Bay, and Kansas City. You have the established franchises that are always in the playoffs like NE, PIT, and IND. You've got teams in the midst of rebuilding, and then you've got teams who are spinning their wheels. I know most would put Buffalo in the third category, but I still place them in the latter grouping.

We'll know if this franchise is headed in the right direction by the mid point of the 2011 season, if there is one. Should they begin 2-6 on their way to another 4-12 or a 5-11, I think it's safe to say they are indeed inept and worthy of being a bottom ranked franchise. If they go 8-8, 9-7, then no they're not deserving. At least not yet.

The guy doing this rating loses alot of credibility when he rates Mike Shanahan a 7.5 in coaching and Dan Snyder a 5 as an owner. The redskins will be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year -- worse than the Bills. The reasons for that will be the owner, coach, and staff.

Ralph may not be the best owner, but he is more than a 1, at least to Bills fans.

Dead last, maybe not, but even those disagreeing with the #32 ranking have to agree that we should easily be in the bottom 5. And either way you slice that, it isnt good.

Horrible owner = horrible FO = horrible team. That's the way it has been for most of the Bills 50 years, outside of the Polian years. Hopefully Buddy and Chan can turn it around. I like the direction they are going in, and what they have done so far, but we still need to see results on the field.

Juxtapose this with the article about the Sabres...

Sabres rated third best NHL franchise according to the Hockey News

Dead On!!! Agreed. We've been screwed for so long by Ralph it's not even funny...

Dead last, maybe not, but even those disagreeing with the #32 ranking have to agree that we should easily be in the bottom 5. And either way you slice that, it isnt good.

Horrible owner = horrible FO = horrible team. That's the way it has been for most of the Bills 50 years, outside of the Polian years. Hopefully Buddy and Chan can turn it around. I like the direction they are going in, and what they have done so far, but we still need to see results on the field.

Juxtapose this with the article about the Sabres...

Sabres rated third best NHL franchise according to the Hockey News

I hope Buddy can turn it around, but being absolutely serious here, nothing will change until they get a new owner who wants to Win the Lombardi Trophy...

I hope Buddy can turn it around, but being absolutely serious here, nothing will change until they get a new owner who wants to Win the Lombardi Trophy...

Agreed.

Between what Pagula has brought to the Sabres, and watching the Thrashers mess from the front row down here, and observing Ralph vs other NFL owners for a while, it's quite clear...

It ALL comes down to OWNERSHIP.

Are they in it to make money, or to win championships? You can make money from championships. But chances of winning championships from making money are slim to none.

If an owner's main priority is the money and not winning, it trickles all the way down through the staff to the players.

This is why I believe Oakland has a higher owner rating than we do. Al Davis has won before. He is willing to do what it takes to win. He just cant pick talent.

Edited by DrDareustein