CFL single game tix on sale June 1

As a proud Canuck, I can say that the CFL offers a good product, but the atmosphere is lacking in most stadiums. Ivor Wynne (Hamilton, Regina, Winnipeg and Edmonton are the exceptions. Argos games are like Bills games in Toronto, underwhelming and the lack of tailgating is a joke. Hamilton is a blue collar city and represents itself well when it comes to football.

As a proud Canuck, I can say that the CFL offers a good product, but the atmosphere is lacking in most stadiums. Ivor Wynne (Hamilton, Regina, Winnipeg and Edmonton are the exceptions. Argos games are like Bills games in Toronto, underwhelming and the lack of tailgating is a joke. Hamilton is a blue collar city and represents itself well when it comes to football.

Good atmosphere, but the tickets have gotten expensive. I go to at least one Ti-Cat game every year and the ticket isn't that much less than my Bills tickets. You can also go downtown and visit the CFL Hall of Heads and get cheap gear from the days of US Expansion. What is better, having your official Hall of Fame selling Shreveport Pirates applique wall clocks for $5 or donating the embarrassing merchandise to third world countries? I honestly think that much of what the CFL officially licenses is intended to be marketed at flea markets. That's all part of the CFL's charm, though.

Ivor Wynne reminds me so much of the old "Rockpile" War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo. It's like a trip back in time for me.

PTR

Ivor Wynne is going to be rebuilt and expanded - - but still way, way too small for an NFL team.

http://newscliptv.com/local/3175.html

What I find interesting, though, is the extent to which city, provincial and federal government money will be used to fund the roughly $ 150 million project. If I am reading the article correctly, here's where the stadium rebuild money is coming from:

Canadian federal gov't - - - $35.0 million

Ontario provincial gov't - - $57.5 million

Hamilton city gov't - - - - - $51.5 million

New naming rights - - - - - $ 6.0 million

Ti-cats team contributes - $ 3.0 million

Total $153.0 million

The Ticats are only putting up slightly less than 2% of the cost of the project.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

&brand=tm&tm_link=tm_homeA_rc_name3"]Ti-Cats tickets

You laugh now but like the fat chick at closing time it will start looking more appealing the longer the Lockout lasts.

PTR

Because people who post and/or lurk here are widely geographically dispersed, if the lockout lasts long enough, you can find the "fat chick" at these locations across Canada:

http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/canadian-football/canada/cfl/

I can say with the highest degree of certainty, I will never attend a CFL game in my life. No diss on Canada or the CFL, just couldn't cheat on the NFL even though she's being an arrogant, spoiled be-atch.

Living in Montreal I can confirm that Alouettes games are ok, and since they make it to the Grey Cup almost every year the "east conference final" game in Montreal always bring 50,000+ to the big O , but nothing will ever beat a Bills home game as far as tailgating and atmosphere goes. CFL will always be a sub-product of the NFL, plus if you think about the major atmosphere letdown comparing a game in Buffalo and Toronto(one of the most boring city in Canada), that makes you feel safe about a potential move of the Bills to Toronto, it's just never going to happen, never.

Ivor Wynne is going to be rebuilt and expanded - - but still way, way too small for an NFL team.

http://newscliptv.com/local/3175.html

What I find interesting, though, is the extent to which city, provincial and federal government money will be used to fund the roughly $ 150 million project. If I am reading the article correctly, here's where the stadium rebuild money is coming from:

Canadian federal gov't - - - $35.0 million

Ontario provincial gov't - - $57.5 million

Hamilton city gov't - - - - - $51.5 million

New naming rights - - - - - $ 6.0 million

Ti-cats team contributes - $ 3.0 million

Total $153.0 million

The Ticats are only putting up slightly less than 2% of the cost of the project.

I thought the plan was to build a completely new stadium? Fixing up the IW would be a colossal waste of money.

PTR

I thought the plan was to build a completely new stadium? Fixing up the IW would be a colossal waste of money.

PTR

I think that may have been under consideration at one time, but here's a slightly more recent (2/26/11) article stating it will be "renovated:"

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/493414--ivor-wynne-gets-pan-am-approval

The following article has a few more details about proposed reconstruction plans, but it is dated 1/23/11, so it's possible that some of the details changed en route to getting final approvals:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/01/23/ivor-wynne-reconstruction-faces-funding-gap/

"It remains unclear how long construction will take. The city report indicates the rebuild project may keep the Ticats out of Ivor Wynne for two seasons. The city has budgeted about $7-million in transitional costs to help the Ticats survive the seasons when Ivor Wynne is unusable."

I think that may have been under consideration at one time, but here's a slightly more recent (2/26/11) article stating it will be "renovated:"

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/493414--ivor-wynne-gets-pan-am-approval

The following article has a few more details about proposed reconstruction plans, but it is dated 1/23/11, so it's possible that some of the details changed en route to getting final approvals:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/01/23/ivor-wynne-reconstruction-faces-funding-gap/

"It remains unclear how long construction will take. The city report indicates the rebuild project may keep the Ticats out of Ivor Wynne for two seasons. The city has budgeted about $7-million in transitional costs to help the Ticats survive the seasons when Ivor Wynne is unusable."

What stadium could host the Ti-Cats temporarily? RWS can't. Those CFL end zones won't fit. But UB Stadium could.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What stadium could host the Ti-Cats temporarily? RWS can't. Those CFL end zones won't fit. But UB Stadium could.

PTR

From the oldest (1/23/11) article:

"According to Hamilton’s general manager of finance Rob Rossini the tentative plan calls for the Ticats to play their home games during the construction process at McMaster University’s Ron Joyce Stadium. The capacity at McMaster is 6,000, but city staff suggests 10,000 seats could be added to boost capacity to around 16,000."