Shows your spouse tries to get you to watch with THEM

I've been through them all. The OC, Grey's, Glee, Friday Night Lights, Real Housewives of <fill in the blank>, The Girls Next Door, The Kardashians, and God only knows how many episodes of Rachel Rae I had to sit through. On the bright side I got a lot of reading done while those shows were on.

Oh, throwing Friday Night Lights in a group with the rest of those is harsh...it was a pretty good show...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we talking about the same show? Modern Family?

I think you are thinking of something else...I don't watch it every week, but there is no narrator, and honestly, I don't think they have any music at all...it is shot "Office" style. Ed O'Neil? Sophia Vergara?

Yeah, we are talking about the same show. They don't do it every episode, but they've done it some. There were a few episodes this season where it was starting to turn for me, because they stopped it, but then they brought it back.

When they do it, they usually have one of the characters act as narrator for a bit at the end and sum up the events with a life lesson while showing some other clips, and then they all feel good about themselves and each other and the show ends.

As a viewer, I hate getting slapped in the face with crap like that. I don't want a feel good happy ending with someone telling me how life is.

That's because those are the only two from your list that are worth watching, IMO. I don't see what the hype is over Glee. It's one of the most annoying shows out there. Grey's Anatomy has done too many things this season that ticked me off so it's trash. Though I wasn't really ever a avid watcher.

Greys is basically the same episode over and over again. Someone falls in love, then falls in love with the person they were in love with last season, while someone has a major medical event that one or all of the medical staff fight over, then screw up, but in the end turns out ok with only the chief pissed at everyone for possibly screwing up all this happening while a major emergency is happening at the hospital, and someone gets laid in a "on call" room, janitors closet, elevator, or boiler room.

Glee, well, sucks. Period.

Had a girlfriend that got me to watch Degrassi The Next Generation with her. Though the show was your typical high school TV drama stuff the fact that it was Canadian made it watchable (The use of Canadian money and the words aboot and soury are funny).

Greys is basically the same episode over and over again. Someone falls in love, then falls in love with the person they were in love with last season, while someone has a major medical event that one or all of the medical staff fight over, then screw up, but in the end turns out ok with only the chief pissed at everyone for possibly screwing up all this happening while a major emergency is happening at the hospital, and someone gets laid in a "on call" room, janitors closet, elevator, or boiler room.

Glee, well, sucks. Period.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up! :lol:

I like Glee.......a gleek I am.....and the girls on that show.........yum

hm I hate anthony bourdain or whatever his name is and that other dude that likes to eat dog balls and stuff........I'm a picky eater so I guess I'm dettered

Edited by Jerry Christ

It's the whole, "lets wrap our writing up into what we think is a profound higher meaning and spoon feed it to our audience by adding some serious music and having our narrator talk about it" routine that I hate.

I know what you're saying, but Modern Family stopped using that technique ... It pops up every now and then, but the majority of season 2 they got rind of that device.

I know what you're saying, but Modern Family stopped using that technique ... It pops up every now and then, but the majority of season 2 they got rind of that device.

I swear, I have seen that show about a dozen times, and don't remember a narrator at all...it almost sounds more like the show that comes on before it, "The Middle"...which has some off-beat elements which I like, but by no means a great show.

I swear, I have seen that show about a dozen times, and don't remember a narrator at all...it almost sounds more like the show that comes on before it, "The Middle"...which has some off-beat elements which I like, but by no means a great show.

While I'm not a big TV person, I don't think I've missed a single episode of Modern Family and I have no freaking idea what he's talking about. There are no narrators. They do the little interview things, but they're pretty brief and don't involve just one person through the show.

Personally it's probably the best show I've watched since Arrested Development. I'm not sure how he did it, but Ed O'Neill has completely put the Al Bundy persona to its death.

While I'm not a big TV person, I don't think I've missed a single episode of Modern Family and I have no freaking idea what he's talking about. There are no narrators. They do the little interview things, but they're pretty brief and don't involve just one person through the show.

Personally it's probably the best show I've watched since Arrested Development. I'm not sure how he did it, but Ed O'Neill has completely put the Al Bundy persona to its death.

me neither.

There is no narrator to the show........love it

Wow. That was addictive. "Single Father." Just puttin' it out there for anyone looking for something. It's just 4 hour-long eps.

Along with "Doctor Who" and a GREAT turn as Hamlet, Tennant has really become one of my favorite actors.

me neither.

There is no narrator to the show........love it

He doesn't mean a traditional narrator. What he's talking, and for the most part this happened in season 1 and a few scattered times in season 2, is when at the end of the episode (before the tag) whoever is being interviewed (whether it be Phil, Claire, or Jay) sums up what the episode was about while we watch a montage of the family doing whatever it is that the character is talking about.

For example, when they had the family picture episode in the season 1 finale ... During the mud fight we're listening to Claire come to terms with the fact that she can't have the perfect picture and in fact that makes it better. So you hear Claire talking (almost like a narrator) while watching the family happily throw mud at one another. It's just repeating the "point/message" of the episode but one of the characters actually says it out loud. No subtext, just right out there. At times it gives it a very melodramatic/sappy feel for an otherwise very hip show.

It's a device that feels very 70s/80s that they leaned on heavily in season one but not as much in season 2.

My wife doesn't try to convince me to watch shows - so busy with work and school that she likes having shows she can watch on her own. :D

That said, has anybody been watching Archer on FX? I just discovered it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago and it's hilarious. I've tried convincing her to watch it, but she thinks it's lame...

Archer: "Hello? Airplane? It's blimp. You win." :lol:

If you haven't seen it, the first season is on Netflix and I assume the second season will be soon as well. Why is nobody talking about this show?

http://www.tv.com/ar...55/summary.html