What's it like being a Bills fan on the West Coast?

in taiwan, it is lonely. i've never met another bills fan here. the games are on at 1 a.m. and my howls fill the night air.

in hawaii, there was a small bunch that hit the east side grill sunday mornings. good people, but the place was populated with steelers fans and we had to watch the steelers second string beat bledsoe and co. on that fateful sunday. not fun.

"howls fill the night air" by the gods that is what personifies a true Bills fan :thumbsup:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grew up there, going to games since I was 2 or 3, I'm 51 so are the Bills. I am a long way away now (in Bangkok, Thailand) and watch games in the middle of the night these days. Haven't lived in WNY since 94. Can't help myself. The internet might be the best freaking invention ever lol. It kind of gives me a feeling of being home, now if only I could get the food.

Grew up in Easta Roch. Moved to NYC for college and around a bit since for grad school and work, but generally have lived in the NYC area since graduation from HS. Used to hit an Upper West Side sports bar called "Boomers" (part owned by Boomer Esiason) to get my Bills fix in the mid to late-'90s (funniest story from that time--spent a game standing next to, and chatting with, Phil McConkey, ex-NYG WR and Buffalonian and Bills fan, and didn't realize that it was him until the third quarter when he said something to the effect of "they didn't hit like that when I was in the League") and now live in the NYC 'burbs. Still get to a home game or two each year (have gotten my dad season tix for about the last ten years) and one away game each year. My Bills roots go back to my parents, some of whose earliest dates were to old AFL games in the early '60s at the old Rockpile. My own first game was a 17-0 drubbing by a Unitas-led Colts squad that featured a young Ted Hendricks.....

What an awesome 1st ever Bills game to see! Kelly lighting up the skies with passes; Lofton & Reed running wild for long gains & TD's. Big comeback by Philly -including a 102 yard TD pass- that was nearly a safety, and the Bills holdin' 'em off to win in the end!

How could anyine NOT be a lifer after that game?:thumbsup:

Awesome game indeed!! I remember we were dressed up for the cold weather that day, but it was actually not that cold for a December game. I remember that play where Bruce almost sacked Cunningham in the end zone and then he threw it to the middle of the field to Barnett who took it all the way for a TD, the Bills safety, Williams I think, not sure, badly miscalculated the pass and got burned for the TD. Few weeks after I was at a friends place to watch the wildcard games on TV and they showed that play during the pregame show as one of the best plays of the year, my friend said: Wow! Pete did you see that??? I replied: We were there you idiot!!! Too funny, that's what happens when you start tailgating early and drink too much... :beer: :beer:

I live about 5 hours from Buffalo in central NY, nobody in my family is into sports, but I remember going with my father to a superbowl party when I was about 5 or 6. It was the Buffalo/Cowboys (I think the 2nd one) when the Bills were just getting walked over, I think Kelly was out and whoever was in for him fumbled and Leon Lett was running it back for the TD. You know how the rest goes, Don Beebe runs him down and swats the ball out of the showboating Lett's hand at the goalline, and I was immediately a Bills fan for life. Never stop playing hard spirit was shown on that play, showing the difference between a showboating team and a team of guys who wanted it more but just weren't good enough, as the later kelly teams unfortunately became.

I live about 5 hours from Buffalo in central NY, nobody in my family is into sports, but I remember going with my father to a superbowl party when I was about 5 or 6. It was the Buffalo/Cowboys (I think the 2nd one) when the Bills were just getting walked over, I think Kelly was out and whoever was in for him fumbled and Leon Lett was running it back for the TD. You know how the rest goes, Don Beebe runs him down and swats the ball out of the showboating Lett's hand at the goalline, and I was immediately a Bills fan for life. Never stop playing hard spirit was shown on that play, showing the difference between a showboating team and a team of guys who wanted it more but just weren't good enough, as the later kelly teams unfortunately became.

I was at that game in Pasadena with my brother. Loved every minute despite the fact that we got killed and were out-numbered by Cowboys' fans. One thing to point out on that game. We did score first. The cowboys' fans went quiet after that!

Born and raised in Southern Ontario. Dad was a Bills fan, good friends had seasons seats and I was fortunate enough to attend plenty of games during the Kelly years. Moved West in the mid-90's, still have been able to go to the B'lo for a few games over the years. TBD and TSW make life as a West Coast Canadian Bills fan a bunch easier. I'm gonna miss justintv.net this season as we get about three games a year broadcast out here via Rogers Sportsnet and it doesn't look like we're gonna get much nat'l tv aside from that.

It's interesting you say that; that's my impression too. But the media paints Seahawks fans as die hards, because of their stadium noise. I never understood that.

As for me, grew up in Rochester and now live in Pittsburgh, PA. I wonder if my kids (first on the way) will grow up as Steelers fans??

I beg to differ. Seahawks fans are die hards, not just noisy. As the team within the closest proximity to me, Qwest field has hosted my only NFL games over the last few years. They have not been a standout team, but the fan support is awesome. Making the playoffs last year was a fluke and the fans knew it. And, yes, that stadium is damn loud! Earplugs are advisable.

I grew up in Lockport and have been a Bills fan for a loooooooong time. In 1982 I graduated from Newfane Sr. High school, a small town just north of Lockport, and then enlisted in the USAF. I have spent most of my adult life rooting for the Bills from all over(Texas, Florida, Guam, Honduras, Saudi Arabia etc.) It's been fun. Being in the Air Force is interesting as a Bill's fan because most of your friends root for all sorts of teams. There is a lot of smack talk, wagers and some real strange methods used to hear or watch games from different places. Anyway, now I live in Potsdam, NY and still can't get enough Bill's football. I still go to VFWs, AMVETS, American Legions to watch games and talk smack with guys that have served to this day. Once in a while, I'll take the 6 hour drive to Ralph Wilson Stadium to watch the game and I am thinking about taking the RV for our next trip.

All I can say is being a Bill's fan has it's ups and downs but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's not the destination that matters, but the journey along the way. Someday the Bills will win the Superbowl but that will never mean as much as the good times I've had all these years.

Rockinon are you kidding me? Newfane, Air Force, and now an RV. The paralles. Newfane, we used to play you guys in HS. I was a Roy Hart Ram (Middleport). Did baseball & swim team, and JV basketball. I'm from another generation though. I'm a baby boomer & graduated in '67. I don't know about now but Newfane didn't have a pool then. Albion did, though. For some reason, and don't take this as a slam, I can't remember Newfane High's mascot. The Lancer's??? Been a Bills fan since they started, 1960. I was in Middle school - it was called Junior High school back then. I was all about sports in those days. Saw a few games at the Rockpile back in '66-67. Great memories. Saw Joe Namath play at the Rockpile in '66. Bills won. Then oddly enough, while stationed at McGuire AFB in Jersey in '71, had an opportunity to see him at Shea stadium against the Raiders. Then again in the 80's when I went to the Hall of Fame ceremony for OJ, Joe was one of the enshrinees also.

Newfane High in 82, huh? Remember those awful teams the Bills had in the middle 80's? Kay Stephenson as a coach. Quarterbacks like Vince Farragamo, Bruce Mathison and, Joe Duffek!!!

My God, go back to semi-pro ball. Followed the Bills all through though. Between the AF and then college, Oswego state, I've watched them in Anchorage, New Jersey, New York of course, and now in Va., the Richmond area. Had Bills stuff hung up in my classroom. Taught history. My wife & I love to camp & she's a converted Bills fan. We've been to Plattsburgh & it's beautiful up there. We travel to that part alot because I belong to a Rev War Ranger unit out of Vermont. Its a blast. Pun not intended. In fact we'll be going up to Ft Ti this weekend for some drill exercises. Anyway, its interesting that, with all the posters on this wall, you never know where people are from. One guy said he's from Medina, that's only a couple of mile east of Middleport. You wnet to Newfane High. You just never know. Take care & Go Bills.

I grew up in VA and have no ties to Buffalo whatsoever. I was a Redskins fan and I decided it was kind of gay because everyone else was a Redskins fan. Since they weren't the VA Redskins or Richmond Redskins I felt no affiliation and decided I was going to pick a new team and stick by them, because the only thing gayer than a Redskins fan is a bandwagon jumper.

It was 91, MNF, and they did the recap of the wide right FG to lose the SB. They had the K-Gun offense, the story of a strong team coming off the heartbreaking loss, and they're called the Buffalo Bills which is just a cool sounding name. So I signed on just in time to lose 3 more SBs and suck for the next two decades (save the Flutie years).

But despite the losing seasons and the indignation of being lumped in with a bunch of insufferable yankees, I'm still a loyal fan and can't see myself following any other team (unless Brett Favre plays for them).

Born and raised in Buffalo, joined the Marines in '05, got stationed at Camp Pendleton. I had every intention of moving back after but I met a Navy Nurse and I am going to school at San Diego State. I get Sunday Ticket and head over to the Bills bars a few games year. My Charger friends head over most Sundays to eat my authentic Buffalo wings and watch the games. Looking forward to getting to meet some of you this year.

Great to read some of these comments! I like many of you, identify myself with the buffalo bills a bit. Lived in Mass my entire life and starting watching football in the late 80's and early 90's. Had my first buffalo bills birthday cake at 8 years old. I Love the bills, not sure why since they break my heart alot. To be honest, I think I never really looked anywhere else once I saw how loyal bills fans are. It's sort of a brother hood. Anytime I got caught rocking Bills gear by another Bills fan here in Mass, there is always an instant connection. (those that live outstide Buff know what I'm talking about) I have to listen to a lot of patriots fans that think football started in the early 2000's, but I go to Gillete every year wearing the red white and blue with pride.

Go Bills

Right on man, living there must be tough, and knowing 3/4 of them are bandwagoners is even worse. Huge pride for you bro, wearing the R,W&B in enemy territory! I live in CA, really not that bad, 95% of them are bandwagoners, they change from Chargers/Rams/Raiders/49ers at will. lol! But when I see another person wearing Bills anything, or a bumpersticker, it's like you said, instant connection, and you can talk all day like you've known them forever. It is a brotherhood. And female Billsfans are the most knowledgeable football fans by far, of any other team. We know football! GO BILLS!

Great to read some of these comments! I like many of you, identify myself with the buffalo bills a bit. Lived in Mass my entire life and starting watching football in the late 80's and early 90's. Had my first buffalo bills birthday cake at 8 years old. I Love the bills, not sure why since they break my heart alot. To be honest, I think I never really looked anywhere else once I saw how loyal bills fans are. It's sort of a brother hood. Anytime I got caught rocking Bills gear by another Bills fan here in Mass, there is always an instant connection. (those that live outstide Buff know what I'm talking about) I have to listen to a lot of patriots fans that think football started in the early 2000's, but I go to Gillete every year wearing the red white and blue with pride.

Go Bills

I lived in Kenmore from 7 to 17 then lived almost 20 years out of the country...always a Bills fan although I havent been back to Buffalo since 1972 and have been a Bills since 1962...

Born and raised in Central Illinois, so I have no connections to Buffalo. I think I initially took notice of the Bills in the early-80's because of the color scheme. I seem to recall listening to a preseason game on the radio when they rolled out the red helmets and it was something different. We never got many Bills games on local TV since we had the St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts- although the local NBC would show Chiefs games more often. (Point of note, we lived outside of town so all television was picked up off the antenna; we never had satellite and no cable until we moved "in town" around 1990). I'd always have to keep an eye on the 10-Minute Ticker and halftime updates to get the score. I remember one highlight where they showed a two-person wave at a Bills home game- those were lean years!

The game that solidified my fanaticism in the Bills was the game they hosted against the St. Louis Cardinals on 9/21/86- my 9th birthday. That was Jim Kelly's first win as a Bill- a game I don't remember the details of except the final score of 17-10. I've been a fan for close to 25 years now and I feel I ride the wave of emotion with most of you in wins and losses. It was tough for me as a kid in Junior High/High School suffering through those Super Bowl losses; kids teasing an taunting me for being a BIlls fan and me not being that assertive/confident in myself made for some crummy weeks at the end of January from '91-'94. But I persevere.

My first Bills game my mother took me over to Indy to see the team play in '91. We went for four straight years to see them play over at the Hoosier Dome (Colts fans would often call it the "Glue Factory" when the team wasn't playing well.). I think I've been to Indy seven times for games, including the first one after 9/11. I've seen them play in St. Louis and this past season in Green Bay. For my 30th birthday my wife and mother got me a trip to Buffalo to see the Bills host the Jests, a game that Trent Edwards led them to victory (remember when he had promise?). I cannot wait for a return trip to Buffalo because there is so much I didn't get to experience that I look forward to (we only toured Niagara Falls due to a short trip). I'd also though of going to Cincy this year as that seems to be a sure win anymore.

I had Sunday Ticket for half of last season and would really like to buy the 2011 season but that remains to be seen.

I love Buffalo Bills football!

I was born in Rochester. My family moved to San Diego in 1960 when I was five. They used to go to see the Bills come to play the Chargers in old Balboa Stadium. I remember a ticket was $1 if you had a Huddle Club card. I guess I was hooked at an early age. I have been a diehard Bills fan since. I used to go back to back to Utica to visit my grandparents about once a year in the 1980's so I got a taste of upstate New York and I liked it. I recently drove up to San Jose to see the Sabres when they came west. I usually catch them when they are in LA or Anaheim. I am looking forward to the Bills coming west in December.

in taiwan, it is lonely. i've never met another bills fan here. the games are on at 1 a.m. and my howls fill the night air.

in hawaii, there was a small bunch that hit the east side grill sunday mornings. good people, but the place was populated with steelers fans and we had to watch the steelers second string beat bledsoe and co. on that fateful sunday. not fun.

been with th bills since 1981. i was seven and remember that season. i remember joe cribbs looking visibly dejected when chuck knox decided to kick a field goal near the end of a must-win game. that could have been 1980 near the end of the season. but anyone who went through kay stephenson and hank bullough before the superbowl years will never leave the bills. the kelly era was effin' great.

You aren't alone! Where in Taiwan, Taipei? My brother-inlaw and his family are in Taipei... They are Bills fans.

:D

Moved to Buffalo in 1967…went to Williamsville Schools, UB, and Buff State. Moved to San Jose in 2002. Didn't want to leave but had a great job offer, all my family had moved out here previous to me, and the weather was the 3rd and final reason I couldn't say no.

Miss the hell out of WNY…spent the first couple of years here watching games with the South Bay/San Jose Bills Backers at "Brittania Arms," a British Sports Bar with a location in Cupertino, CA…home of Apple Computers.

The last few years my wife and I have had the NFL Sunday Ticket (for $159). Love the Bills with a passion, love that the game is on at 10 am and that by the time the game is over, I still have a lot of Sunday left in front of me…and that the weather is usually sunny and warm.

San Jose is actually one of the handful of cities accused of having the best weather of all U.S. cities, even though it's in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is considered Northern California.

In spite of what others have said on this board, there are lots of passionate, crazy sports fans up this ways. Not like Buffalo of course but they are here… you just gotta know where to find them.

Looking forward to the trip down to San Diego for the Bills game this fall. Fingers crossed that labor peace will prevail.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan