What the pundits don't know

In my personal opinion, the NFL and ESPN commentators are completely biased towards small market teams, especially the Bills. I'm the first to criticize the Bills when they screw up but these guys go out of their way to find fault with and bash this organization. Yes, at 4 and 11 and with the long stretch of losing seasons some of the criticism is deserved, but when 90 percent of the football world gave the Dareus pick an A rating (not the entire Bills draft) is it earned? Then, they go out of their way to constantly pump up teams like Dallas when they are performing badly? Come on. The only way the Bills will ever come close to shutting these guys up is to win, win, win. Even then they will find ways to denegrate this team, just u watch.

No they're not. They love small market teams like Green Bay, Pitts, and Indy. I wonder why?

Also, the pundits have said another small market team, the Browns, had the best draft of all teams.

This board howled when "the pundits" were predicting no more than 4 wins last season. Well, they were right. Lay off the "victimhood" shtick.

What the pundits also don't know: injuries were responsible for many players missing long stretches during the last 2 years. The Bills used 9 different OL combinations.

Ed Wang, Shawne Merriman, Keith Ellison, Jon Corto, Paul Posluzny, Spencer Johnson, Danny Batten, Marcus Easley, Cornell Green, James Hardy, Demetrius Bell, Eric Wood, Alex Carrington, Fred Jackson, David Nelson, Shawn Nelson, Antonio Coleman, Geoff Hangartner, Cordaro Howard, Mansfield Wrotto, Donte Whitner, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, and Kraig Urbik. I'm sure I've forgotten some.

The highlighted names were guys who never played a down for the Bills or simply sucked anyway (Ellison)--so how on earth can their injuries affected the play of the Bills or their 4-12 record?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a special on the afc east about a week ago. At first they ripped us for not taking Miller or a QB with our pick, also saying Dareus did t fit our scheme for a 3/4.

Then at a later time, they ripped the Broncos for not taking Dareus when he was available, at the same time saying they are also converting to the 3/4.

Point is: NFL Network "so called" experts are absolute jokes and don't make sense.

That's a good one. The Bills were foolish for not taking Von Miller. Nice reporting NFL Network. I suppose we could have traded up and lost multiple draft picks in the process.

What the pundits also don't know: Chan Gailey is currently an NFL Head Coach and Buddy Nix is currently an NFL GM. The pundits are neither and in most cases never were. And they DON'T know what this team needs/has as much as CG & BN do.

General managers and head coaches are better at assessing what a team needs, even in Buffalo. :thumbsup:

What the pundits don't know, see, or realize is......

THE NATION RISES!!

After watching all of last year, even with our poor record I kind of agree. I had the sense that this was a team on the rise. I must point out though that I am a Bills fan so my personal view may be a bit......what's the word I am looking for? But good attitude and I like the sentiment.

what the pundits don't know about the Bills is that the Defense (not Fitzpatrick) was the problem last season.

Fitz is a good QB.. he's just not a QB that can continually throw a team on his shoulders and win games (Franchise QB if you will).

The pundits rarely talk about our Defense. They say we need a QB and Left Tackle??? D. Bell played admireably IMO and the coaches even said that he wasn't 100% from his injury. He still didn't have his strength back. Give the kid an offseason to build that strength back up and he will be a quality player on the left side.

The Pundits don't see that this Defense got a (pardon the phrasing) EXTREME MAKEOVER this offseason. The talent we brought in (Dareus, Merriman, Sheppard, Williams, etc) is one thing, but more importantly we changed our identity. Our FO is no longer going to count on guys like Whitner (who go and cry to the media that Quality QB's laugh at our Defense) to be the leaders. Poz, although a solid player and one we certainly need to retain.. is not a NFL heart and soul of the defense type of Leader. Dareus, Sheppard, Merriman are now here to bring the Big Nasty Swaggerlishesness (that's right .. i said it) that this team has desperately needed. Players that take it personally when other teams are running the ball down our throat.

The Pundits don't know that this year, after a team plays the Buffalo Bills.. they're not going to be laughing anymore.

Go Bills

I agree here. The defense was among the worst in the NFL, but the pundits feel the Bill's biggest problems were QB and offensive tackle? These are the experts we get our news from. Nice post by the way. Keep the faith, Buffalofaithful. :thumbsup: That's right, you said it........I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of that word though.

Ah, yes. The article that got me thinking about all of this. I think the pundits pass information around to each other like gossiping school girls. One person runs off at the mouth and the next thing you know they are giggling and spreading the rumor all over the place.

We have A Williams. A KY Williams, and when you have KY watchout. lol Something the pundits dont know.

I didn't know that but I like trivia like this.

Anyone else have a retard report from the pundits?

Edited by Rockinon

I have been watching people post links to articles about our beloved Buffalo Bills and one of them got me thinking. It was an article by Jamie Dukes of the NFL Network, a nationally televised station that is dedicated solely to NFL news and media. According to Jamie Dukes the Bills are stupid for picking Dareus because he doesn't fit as a Nose Tackle. Excuse me, Mr. Dukes, but you are a moron.

So I thought I'd start a little exercise listing things the pundits don't know about our Buffalo Bills. Feel free to jump in with your own thoughts with follow ups.

1. Marcel Dareus is a DE/DT
  2. Kyle Williams is a Pro Bowl NT all ready on our roster. Kyle can also line up at DT or DE.
  3. Torrel Troupe is also a NT. He can also line up as a DT.
  4. Micheal Jasper is a project that is also considered a NT.(How Mr. Dukes, could you possibly think the Bills were looking to use a fourth NT on this team with Dareus?)
  5. The Bills do believe Fitz can get the job done. "In weeks 3-16 with Fitz as the starter, the offense averaged 335 YPG, 116 rushing YPG, 219.6 passing YPG and 19.9 points per game. In the three games that Fitz did not play in last season, the offense averaged 171 YPG, 70 rushing YPG, 101 passing YPG and 8 points per game. Also, Fitz had two games in which he passed for over 300 yards (382 & 308), something that wasn’t done in a Bills uniform in years."
  6. We actually do have explosive playmakers that can turn games around.
    • Kyle Williams
    • Steve Johnson
    • Fred Jackson
    • Jairus Byrd
    • Ryan Fitpatrick
    • Lee Evans
    • Roscoe Parish
    • CJ Spiller

I saw that segment and Dukes was way off the mark. He doesn't know about the Bills. He's ignorant about the Bills coaching staff and how they shift players to positions where they're talents will work the best. That's why Kyle Williams had such a great year. They even got decent production out of Kelsay by shifting him to a down lineman. For whatever reason, that worked for him. Examples can go on and on.

Moose Johnson, to his credit, pointed this out by saying emphatically to Dukes (of Hazard) that (I'll paraphrase, here), "the Bills coaching staff is not going to have Dareus just in one spot. Their coaches will move him up & down the line so he can make plays from any of those positions." Dukes just repeated himself and once again, Johnson stuck to his guns.

Oftentimes I think these guys on these networks (NFL & ESPN) have this suff scripted between them beforehand and they're just acting just to fill in time.

I saw that segment and Dukes was way off the mark. He doesn't know about the Bills. He's ignorant about the Bills coaching staff and how they shift players to positions where they're talents will work the best. That's why Kyle Williams had such a great year. They even got decent production out of Kelsay by shifting him to a down lineman. For whatever reason, that worked for him. Examples can go on and on.

Moose Johnson, to his credit, pointed this out by saying emphatically to Dukes (of Hazard) that (I'll paraphrase, here), "the Bills coaching staff is not going to have Dareus just in one spot. Their coaches will move him up & down the line so he can make plays from any of those positions." Dukes just repeated himself and once again, Johnson stuck to his guns.

Oftentimes I think these guys on these networks (NFL & ESPN) have this suff scripted between them beforehand and they're just acting just to fill in time.

If that was scripted, they really are a lost cause.

Awesome thread! As per the OP the Bills have been bad and deserve a lot of criticism for the past ten years but I get a kick out of "analysts" on the NFL Network(aka NFC East Network), a network devoted solely to covering 32 NFL teams, who can't name 10 players on about half of those teams...and then call themselves "experts"!

I respect the fact that they know a lot about football but anybody on this board could sit down with Jamie Dukes and beat his ass silly in a discussion about the state of the Bills and the direction they're heading. I've boycotted the NFC East network for the simple fact that I'd like to listen to an intelligent conversation about football but all they've got is a rehash of what some other know-nothing moron on another network said the day before.

As the "NFL Network" I've always expected that they should have an hour of coverage per week per game but now I'm convinced that they don't do that because their "analysts" are too dumb to intelligently discuss any teams that don't live in NYC or Dallas.

What the pundits dont know about Buffalo

There has been a changing of the guard in the bills front office and nobody really seems to be highlighting that point....the bean counters are no longer in charge when "football guys should be doing it" they dont talk too much about how Buddy Nix is a great evalator of talent...and they dont talk about Doug Whaley who we stole from the steelers who have a winning organization. You get better by stealing guys from other places where they do it well.

If the pundits wanted to look really smart they could dig a little deeper at the philosophy of this draft and see that it was genious because of its simplicity.....our defense was dead last against the run.......every defensive player save one who was drafted later all have a common strength......size and the ability to play the run. Its really not that hard to see if you take more then 5 minutes when writing about the Bills and not consider them a afterthought.

What Dukes doesn't seem to want to see personally? He is completely overlooking the fact that Marcel Dareus played DE in a NFL style 3-4 in college and was dominant at that position. Sure he can play at other spots on the line but do a little better research Dukes.

What the pundits dont know about Buffalo

There has been a changing of the guard in the bills front office and nobody really seems to be highlighting that point....the bean counters are no longer in charge when "football guys should be doing it" they dont talk too much about how Buddy Nix is a great evalator of talent...and they dont talk about Doug Whaley who we stole from the steelers who have a winning organization. You get better by stealing guys from other places where they do it well.

If the pundits wanted to look really smart they could dig a little deeper at the philosophy of this draft and see that it was genious because of its simplicity.....our defense was dead last against the run.......every defensive player save one who was drafted later all have a common strength......size and the ability to play the run. Its really not that hard to see if you take more then 5 minutes when writing about the Bills and not consider them a afterthought.

What Dukes doesn't seem to want to see personally? He is completely overlooking the fact that Marcel Dareus played DE in a NFL style 3-4 in college and was dominant at that position. Sure he can play at other spots on the line but do a little better research Dukes.

Changing of the guard. I like it. Nix, Gailey, Whaley and now Tom Gibbons and Chuck Cook. :thumbsup: And I agree that this draft was very focused on stopping the run.

Awesome thread! As per the OP the Bills have been bad and deserve a lot of criticism for the past ten years but I get a kick out of "analysts" on the NFL Network(aka NFC East Network), a network devoted solely to covering 32 NFL teams, who can't name 10 players on about half of those teams...and then call themselves "experts"!

I respect the fact that they know a lot about football but anybody on this board could sit down with Jamie Dukes and beat his ass silly in a discussion about the state of the Bills and the direction they're heading. I've boycotted the NFC East network for the simple fact that I'd like to listen to an intelligent conversation about football but all they've got is a rehash of what some other know-nothing moron on another network said the day before.

As the "NFL Network" I've always expected that they should have an hour of coverage per week per game but now I'm convinced that they don't do that because their "analysts" are too dumb to intelligently discuss any teams that don't live in NYC or Dallas.

Bad teams get bad press. True, but there is no excuse for lazy reporting. Good points and right along the same line of thought that I had when I started this thread.

Any specific articles anyone would like to post and add to this thread?

Edited by Rockinon

That's a good one. The Bills were foolish for not taking Von Miller. Nice reporting NFL Network. I suppose we could have traded up and lost multiple draft picks in the process.

I personally was hoping Miller was going to fall to us at #3. But even my 10 year old knows you don't give up the farm to trade up from 3 to 2 when you will still get a great player at #3. Particularly for a team that has so many needs the more early draft picks you have the better.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I personally was hoping Miller was going to fall to us at #3. But even my 10 year old knows you don't give up the farm to trade up from 3 to 2 when you will still get a great player at #3. Particularly for a team that has so many needs the more early draft picks you have the better.

I really liked Von Miller too, but that was only because I was absolutely certain that Dareus was going to be gone when we picked. Who knew?

And I was most definitely not condoning the idea of trading from 3 to 2, BTW. Just stating it to show how silly the idea actually is. :thumbsup:

Dukes in particular has focused on the "widely known" need the Bills have for a QB. He seems completely unaware that Fitz's stats put him right in the middle range of all starting QBs this past season. I don't believe he has it in for Fitz or the Bills. I think he's just been lazy and hasn't done his homework. Instead, he passes on "insights" he's glommed from listening to other pundits and from reading reports from equally uninformed "draft experts."

Here's something else to add to your collection of Things Jamie Dukes Doesn't Know: The Bills lost four games last season by 3 points. 3 freakin' points! One or two more 3-and-outs by the D (which also means one or two more possessions for the Bills offense) and there's a very good chance the Bills win all four. That's why Nix is focusing on the defense.

Dukes in particular has focused on the "widely known" need the Bills have for a QB. He seems completely unaware that Fitz's stats put him right in the middle range of all starting QBs this past season. I don't believe he has it in for Fitz or the Bills. I think he's just been lazy and hasn't done his homework. Instead, he passes on "insights" he's glommed from listening to other pundits and from reading reports from equally uninformed "draft experts."

Here's something else to add to your collection of Things Jamie Dukes Doesn't Know: The Bills lost four games last season by 3 points. 3 freakin' points! One or two more 3-and-outs by the D (which also means one or two more possessions for the Bills offense) and there's a very good chance the Bills win all four. That's why Nix is focusing on the defense.

4 games by 3 points, hence the focus on D. Good one. :thumbsup:

Amen to that brother. They think the NFL sun rises & sets on the Jets, Giants, and especially the Cowboys.

You never know with the media pundits though. They seen to just open their traps and spew out whatever pops into their peanut brains.

You got that right, Rockin. That's why I said earlier on this post, its like this stuff is scripted ahead of time. One guy takes a lame position (Dukes) while the other plays the "ex-spurt".

On a related note that was given on your post, we lost only 3-4 ball games by a few points last year - against some quality teams! Thus the intelligence by the Bills to draft heavy on defense, taking advantage of this year's draft strength. That's what an intelligent FO does. And because of that,the Bills will be on the winning side of more of those close games this year.

But many of the ex-spurts focused on what? "The Bills neglected their huge need at QB." They would keep going on that. That was old news by the end of October (in my opinion) when Fitz stablized the QB situation. And I expect Fitz to be even better in his 2nd year with Gailey. But so many of those lame ex-spurts choose to be clueless to the improvements the Bills have made in the FO and in drafting.

General managers and head coaches are better at assessing what a team needs, even in Buffalo. :thumbsup:

After watching all of last year, even with our poor record I kind of agree. I had the sense that this was a team on the rise. I must point out though that I am a Bills fan so my personal view may be a bit......what's the word I am looking for? But good attitude and I like the sentiment.

Biased?