What the pundits don't know

This board howled when "the pundits" were predicting no more than 4 wins last season. Well, they were right. Lay off the "victimhood" shtick.

It's not victimhood, it's opinion based on what I see and hear every gameday. You can't blame everything on losing. How often do they talk about Pittsburgh (arguably the winningest franchise in the league's history) the last few years compared to other teams unless it's about players getting into trouble or Polamalu who is hard to ignore? Also, I don't believe it is all based 0n bias, just too much of it and not all commentators, just too many on the two major networks.

They don't seem to do any real hard research into teams and players and just seem to shoot from the hip about most subjects. It gets old fast and I would simply like to see more guys like Mayock on there that take football and their jobs more seriously.

I also wasn't shocked at the 4-11 record. It's gonna take time to turn this around after the last few regimes.

The highlighted names were guys who never played a down for the Bills or simply sucked anyway (Ellison)--so how on earth can their injuries affected the play of the Bills or their 4-12 record?

All injuries affect a teams play and throw off different parts of the game, even if it is the guys who "suck". When lines, chemistry, and timing are changing regularly it is hard for a team to find consistency and a "stride". It is just a "part" of the reasons why the Bills had a bad record. Getting rid of the bad players is what the Bills are starting to do with Chix and hopefully the replacements will be winners. Great teams like the Steelers have built and maintained great depth which is why they survive injuries.

P.S. Did you consider the total amount of players injured and how many of the other ones were key players? It happens to teams every year. Some get lucky and some don't like the Bills the last few seasons.

Edited by hammie65

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with this, you don't get to where they are without being self motivated or at least knowing what it takes in the offseason to stay prepare for the coming season.

Well, but there's self-motivated and then there's self-coaching. I'm not sure I can explain what I see as the difference, but it's important.

Self-motivated means you work out, maintain or build strength and fitness, "protect your investment" by staying in shape.

Self-coaching means you are able to call yourself out, you think you're giving 100% but someone who knows the right buttons can get an extra 10% or 10 minutes out of you.

You identify your soft spots and do extra work on them. You spend time doing stuff you hate, like maybe watching film and studying playbooks.

A lot of people are self-motivated. Very few people are self-coaching.

The highlighted names were guys who never played a down for the Bills or simply sucked anyway (Ellison)--so how on earth can their injuries affected the play of the Bills or their 4-12 record?

All injuries affect a teams play and throw off different parts of the game, even if it is the guys who "suck". When lines, chemistry, and timing are changing regularly it is hard for a team to find consistency and a "stride". It is just a "part" of the reasons why the Bills had a bad record. Getting rid of the bad players is what the Bills are starting to do with Chix and hopefully the replacements will be winners. Great teams like the Steelers have built and maintained great depth which is why they survive injuries.

P.S. Did you consider the total amount of players injured and how many of the other ones were key players? It happens to teams every year. Some get lucky and some don't like the Bills the last few seasons.

I think there is an element of luck to some of the Bill's injuries but I think there is also an element of the Bills as a team just being undersized and under-strength. If you're giving it your all every play but you're just smaller and not as strong (or the guys on either side of you are smaller and not as strong) something's gotta give. People will be pushed into you, or what gives will be your body.

Well, but there's self-motivated and then there's self-coaching. I'm not sure I can explain what I see as the difference, but it's important.

Self-motivated means you work out, maintain or build strength and fitness, "protect your investment" by staying in shape.

Self-coaching means you are able to call yourself out, you think you're giving 100% but someone who knows the right buttons can get an extra 10% or 10 minutes out of you.

You identify your soft spots and do extra work on them. You spend time doing stuff you hate, like maybe watching film and studying playbooks.

A lot of people are self-motivated. Very few people are self-coaching.

I think there is an element of luck to some of the Bill's injuries but I think there is also an element of the Bills as a team just being undersized and under-strength. If you're giving it your all every play but you're just smaller and not as strong (or the guys on either side of you are smaller and not as strong) something's gotta give. People will be pushed into you, or what gives will be your body.

You should change your name from "Hopeful" to "Doubtful". :flirt:

This board howled when "the pundits" were predicting no more than 4 wins last season. Well, they were right. Lay off the "victimhood" shtick.

As I recall, "the pundits" were widely predicting the Bills to be the worst team in football last year.

If they were right, perhaps we'd have drafted Cam Newton

We wouldn't have picked third

Small consolation for those of us who would have liked to see improvement from the Jauron years I know

You should change your name from "Hopeful" to "Doubtful". :flirt:

Thanks for the suggestion, Rock. Stand in line behind Billsfreak. I'm supposed to change it to "Hopeful dilusional sucker" (sic) first. That's be because I didn't flip a fuse when the Bills didn't draft a QB.

How 'bout you two "get a room" and get back to me when you resolve which way I should change it?

Taking your post at face value -- I'm "doubtful" because I recognize that even self-motivated people can benefit from quality coaching?

Or because I can read height-weight numbers on a roster and remember that Jauron et al deliberately drafted for light, fast players unsuited to our new defensive scheme?

Seriously? I think I would be a "dilusional sucker" if I let optimism blind me to these realities (if you don't think #1 is a reality, you've never been an athlete in any sport)

I'm hopeful the Bills are on the right track to improvement, but we're a young team needing to integrate our our rookies and progress our 2nd years with the playbook and football skills to where they can break the starting lineup consistently.

Lack of OTAs and a possibly limited preseason will hamper us far more than many of the more veteran teams on our schedule, however dedicated our guys may be to working out on their own.

Thanks for the suggestion, Rock. Stand in line behind Billsfreak. I'm supposed to change it to "Hopeful dilusional sucker" (sic) first. That's be because I didn't flip a fuse when the Bills didn't draft a QB.

How 'bout you two "get a room" and get back to me when you resolve which way I should change it?

Taking your post at face value -- I'm "doubtful" because I recognize that even self-motivated people can benefit from quality coaching?

Or because I can read height-weight numbers on a roster and remember that Jauron et al deliberately drafted for light, fast players unsuited to our new defensive scheme?

Seriously? I think I would be a "dilusional sucker" if I let optimism blind me to these realities (if you don't think #1 is a reality, you've never been an athlete in any sport)

I'm hopeful the Bills are on the right track to improvement, but we're a young team needing to integrate our our rookies and progress our 2nd years with the playbook and football skills to where they can break the starting lineup consistently.

Lack of OTAs and a possibly limited preseason will hamper us far more than many of the more veteran teams on our schedule, however dedicated our guys may be to working out on their own.

It's OK, Hopepful. I was only making a lighthearted response to your last comment. No real criticism. All in fun. Wow, I must have struck a nerve!!!