Would anyone care if the NHL folded

I don't think I would care at all!

The clutch and grab style of hockey that is played now-a-days is boring to watch. I can't remember that last time I saw an end-to-end rush. And even if the strike ends... they have such a losey TV contract that we wont see any games anyway!

The NHL should use this strike to simply fade into history. :lol:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have TRIED to get into hockey more than once. But the clutch and grab, dirty play, fights and cheap shots turn me off every time. And I know many huge hockey fans that are sick of this type of play as well and are just DYING to see the NHL go to a bigger rink and European style of play.

I have TRIED to get into hockey more than once. But the clutch and grab, dirty play, fights and cheap shots turn me off every time. And I know many huge hockey fans that are sick of this type of play as well and are just DYING to see the NHL go to a bigger rink and European style of play.

163803[/snapback]

ah... that would be soccer! :lol:

A great big no on that one.

Unfortunately, baseball is tilting in the same directions. I don't mean that the game is no longer exciting, but the lack of a salary cap has led to league disparity and tremendous salary inflation. That can't and won't last. You would think these players and leagues would smarten up and take a look at the NFL's system.

Not sure about the NBA, but I never watch a game there either.

I'm rooting for it. They need to start over from square 1 and realize they are NOT a major sport, with T.V. revenue to justify large salaries and inflated ticket prices. The players and their representation are living in a complete dream world.

As much as I like hockey, I honestly don't think I would mind if they just closed up shop and started over from scratch. The players aren't necessarily making all the much money in comparison to other sports that have a prolonged season like basketball and baseball. The one difference is that the NHL isn't marketed correctly, it doesn't put a product on the ice that the masses want to pay to see and the management and owners are the ones to blame for this. This lockout should be a strike by the players for not getting proper representation by the league and the owners. I understand that there should be a salary cap in place but without the revenue, who the hell cares if there is one. Someone is going to get screwed in the deal and it will end up being the players when all is said and done. The NHL seriously needs to look at itself and the game before they point the fingers at the players for wanting to make money. The game needs to be changed and now is the time to do it.

If I still lived in Buffalo, I would probably have season tickets and would care a great deal. Living in Ohio and having two young children that take up a lot of my time... I could care less.

It's funny... when I was single and in my twenties, I watched every Hockey, Baseball and Basketball game I could see (or attend). Now in my forties (soon to be fifties)... I watch Pro football, maybe parts of the World Series and maybe parts of the NCAA tournament. That's it.

Priorities change...

The clutch and grab style of hockey that is played now-a-days is boring to watch.  I can't remember that last time I saw an end-to-end rush.  And even if the strike ends... they have such a losey TV contract that we wont see any games anyway!

The NHL should use this strike to simply fade into history.  :D

163801[/snapback]

The owners plan is to not play in 2005.

then declare an impasse and impose thier own set of rules for going forward.

If they are serious about creating a viable entity, those rules would

1. institute a salary cap,

2. force the owners to accept revenue sharing,

3. eliminate guaranteed contracts

4. adopt a more liberal free agency system

5. change the rules to open up the game for more skating and scoring

a. eliminate center red line

b. shrink center ice area and increase area behind the nets

c. downscale the padding and equipment and outlaw fighting & cheap shots

d. striclty enforce the slashing, hooking, & iunterference type penalties designed to slow down the skaters.

e. adopt a penalty shot format after a 5 minute overtime

The clutch and grab style of hockey that is played now-a-days is boring to watch.  I can't remember that last time I saw an end-to-end rush.  And even if the strike ends... they have such a losey TV contract that we wont see any games anyway!

163801[/snapback]

Would I miss the NHL if it folded? Simply put, yes. The NHL, even if it is not the most entertaining, has the highest skill level and hardest fought games of any hockey league. Even if the regular season is a little boring (too many games), it makes up for it in the playoffs. I would rather watch a NHL playoff game than any other sport (except maybe a Bills playoff game this year....I would be about pissing myself)

I miss hockey like crazy.

But, no matter what anyone wants to say, its the players faults.

Again, if they would realize that their sport simply isnt as big of a money machine as the NFL, they would realize they shouldn't have NFL-like paychecks.

I say, hire some replacement players and lets see some hockey!

i would care. I love hockey and miss it greatly. BUT if the NHL folding makes a "new" league start up with same teams and different rules and stuff... I'd be all for it. I really don't care if it's called the NHL, I just want professional hockey and I want the Sabres (in blue and gold would be best) to be a part of it.

Yes hockey should be played where people do care about the game.

the best hockey all year round happens this  in the U.S this year is anyone paying attention 

World Juniors

163820[/snapback]

Couldnt agree more millbank. Unfortunately many American sports fans have been brainwashed by E$PN and other stations that the NHL is irrelevant because a lot of new sportscasters that have been hired do not care about hockey, so instead of handling some calls from hockey fans and doing their job because their shows are called "All Sports Stations" when its truly not, Im sure the call screener says "call back another time" and hosts of sports shows just put down hockey because they refuse to do their homework on the sport. Very sad.

The NHL also sufferes in another aspect: If only a Desperate Housewive would jump into Sergei Fedorov's arms, maybe if NHL players just talked more smack in general, E$PN would recognize them more. Oh well.

If they are serious about creating a viable entity, those rules would

1. institute a salary cap,

2. force the owners to accept revenue sharing,

3. eliminate guaranteed contracts

4. adopt a more liberal free agency system

5. change the rules to open up the game for more skating and scoring

a. eliminate center red line

b. shrink center ice area and increase area behind the nets

c. downscale the padding and equipment and outlaw fighting & cheap shots

d. striclty enforce the slashing, hooking, & iunterference type penalties designed to slow down the skaters.

e. adopt a penalty shot format after a 5 minute overtime

I don't think that totally outlawing fighting would be a good thing, hockey was in it's prime back in the late 70's, early 80's. It was b/c of the perfect combination of scoring, open play and a few fights mixed in there. Think about it, how many old time Sabres fans have a favorite memory of Jim Schoenfeld putting Wayne Cashman through the zamboni entrance @ the Aud and pummelling him on the concrete? Call the rules they have on the books, ditch the stupid instigator rule and you will see cheap shots disappear. Nobody has to worry about reprecussions for a cheap shot b/c the enforcers who used to take care of stuff like that have their hands tied with the threat of suspension for starting a fight. Other than that I'd like to see those rules put in place, especially down sizing the equipment, and if they don't downsize the goalie equipment, get rid of the regulation on the curve of a stickblade and make the net a little bigger.

163801[/snapback]

I would miss the $5k I had to plunk down for a PSL (Blue Jackets). I would never get to see the Sabres win the Cup (and they may have a chance with the new ownership and what will be the new CBA). I would not miss the style mentioned in other posts, nor the way these guys now take dives like soccer players trying to draw penalties.