ayers would make me feel better about No Miller

Houston.... Would be awesome...

But Ayer is a lot more complete

Justin Houston is a Buddy Nix guy in my opinion. Senior, produced for a longtime in the SEC, and comes at a position of need. He is also stout vs. the run.

Justin Houston is a Buddy Nix guy in my opinion. Senior, produced for a longtime in the SEC, and comes at a position of need. He is also stout vs. the run.

True, Houston would be a great pick and definitely have Buddy written all over it. On the other hand, Ayers was known as a team leader and was also a captain as a junior. This team needs leaders on the field. As many as possible. Cant wait to see who it is!

True, Houston would be a great pick and definitely have Buddy written all over it. On the other hand, Ayers was known as a team leader and was also a captain as a junior. This team needs leaders on the field. As many as possible. Cant wait to see who it is!

But is he a hard worker? There are red flags about his effort, his game doesn't measure up with his size.

Dont know much about Ayers, but in the highlights I saw he was at DE, OLB and ILB. Heard Mayock say he could be a good ILB in a 34. Maybe thats a target? I have no idea who this 34 pick will be.

Man, I cant believe Carpenter went that high. I guess Im not suprised, I really liked him all year, but it wasnt expected at all.

Id actually like to see them go with one of the ILB's that are left like Wilson

if they plan on sticking with the 3-4 for the most part they need to upgrade the talent at LB and there is a big hole at ILB right now

Edited by Max997

I also like the idea of drafting a starting LB with our 2nd rd pick -- but does anyone know why Justin Houston has "fallen" down some draft boards -- is it character/drug concerns or injuries. Mayock had him in the first (although he also had Ayers). To me - Houston is listed at around 270 lbs and would make alot of sense - but don't know what the story on him is. I seem to recall Berman making a back-handed comment about him last night - something like "we all know why Houston has fallen..." Anyone got the skinny?

Ayers had a lackluster combine but came back pretty good on his pro-day

Here are the official numbers for outside linebacker Akeem Ayers from today's UCLA Pro Day. Ayers ran 4.69 and 4,71 in the 40-yard dash, much better than the 4.84 he ran at the NFL Scouting Combine. He also did 22 reps on the 225-pound bench press, up from 19, and had a 34.5-inch vertical leap, up from 31 at the Combine.

According to Ayers' agent, Chuck Price, all 32 NFL teams were in attendance at the Pro Day.

"He was significantly better in all the testing than he was in Indianapolis," said Price.

Ayers is a 6-foot-4, 255-pound linebacker who has often been connected with the Giants throughout the draft process. Teams apparently expected to consider Ayers include the Giants, New England Patriots and Kansas City Chiefs.

When I spoke to Ayers recently he described himself as

Ayers had a lackluster combine but came back pretty good on his pro-day

Im not one that gets high on combine numbers. They do not directly correlate to success on the field. It's all "non-football" stuff.

Can the player, DOES the player get it done on the field? If the answer is yes, you take him.

Ayers has played well enough to be worthy of drafting here. But I think NE is about to screw us and take him at 33...

I still really like Herzlich as a late rounder who could be an impact starter one day. He is a 1st round pick in last eyars draft without the Cancer. I expect him to come back to full speed in a year or two. I hope we havent removed him from our board completely.