Way too much overconfidence on this board.

1billsfan

The key to this game is going to be getting up on them quick....

The bengals are out of the playoffs.....they will come out playing for pride....if we domiante them early they will start thinking about what they are going to do in the offseason.....

We just need to do the things that got to where we are now.....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guesteroo

This is going to likely be a loss. Look at the facts/opinions:

1)We're over due for a loss after 4 straight wins

2)They're 6-7; even more desperate for us than a win to keep slim hopes alive.

3)They're at home after two weeks on the road.

4)They WON at Baltimore (where we got smacked) they played tough at New England (where we got trashed).

5)They outplayed Pittsburgh (in Cincy a few weeks back) but lost on a Pitt defensive TD.

The football world knows it too. . . the line has gone from Buffalo -3 to Buffalo -1 or pick em depending on where you look. How can anyone be "expecting" a win Sunday? It looks like it will be Takeo's worst nightmare. . . CINCINNATI knocking him out of the playoffs!!!

4)They WON at Baltimore (where we got smacked) they played tough at New England (where we got trashed).

5)They outplayed Pittsburgh (in Cincy a few weeks back) but lost on a Pitt defensive TD.

The football world knows it too. . . the line has gone from Buffalo -3 to Buffalo -1 or pick em depending on where you look. How can anyone be "expecting" a win Sunday? It looks like it will be Takeo's worst nightmare. . . CINCINNATI knocking him out of the playoffs!!!

162884[/snapback]

Results against common opponents have little bearing on how teams match up.

It's not overconfidence. The reality is the Bills are a better team than the Bengals.

You look at the teams on paper, and position for position the Bills have the edge. Find one aspect where Cincy is better than the Bills.

But of course, that doesn't mean a thing since games aren't played on paper and "on any given sunday"...Still, the way the Bills have been playing of late, there is no reason for me to think they will go out and lay an egg.

Is it possible that Cincy wins? Of course. I just don't think it's likely.

The fans are overconfident of course there is nothing you can do about that. It is the players that shouldn't be. I really don't think MM is overconfident as well. If the coach isn't the players will not be.

This team has been kicked around alot this year. Being overconfident i don't think is an issue.

162884[/snapback]

- Just a note on the "dominating but losing" thing.....

Can we just keep in mind that there were SEVERAL games this year that we dominated and should have one....but lost. I can only remember 2 games actually that we were dominated. And I think it is important to remember that this team didn't have the same player makeup as now in EITHER of them......we were missing key players that are back....running back is different...O Line was playing horribly even in wins....and on and on.....

I think we'll win, but a loss wouldn't surprise me either,

based on the history of the Bills' performance in big games in Cincy...

2 playoff losses & a big regular season loss late in 1988.

Sure would be nice to finally win one out there.

162815[/snapback]

we had a big loss there in 1988? oh crap didn't know about that. that definitely makes me lose confidence. maybe mcgahee remembers that game from his childhood and it will affect his play.

There's a fair comparison. The Patriots' D versus the Bills D. Makes perfect sense to me.

162900[/snapback]

Yeah, me too. Especially since the WR-playing-CB Patriots D spent all week preparing for Carson Palmer while this ranked-third-in-the-NFL Bills D will have focused on Kitna from the get-go.

I don't get how everyone feels so confident the Bills will beat the Bengals. First off, the Bengals are the home team, calls will not be going our way. Secondly, their wideouts scare the heck out of me. Best we'll face all year. Thirdly, our corners can be had, making this a deadly combo. I don't think they will run on us very well but if Kitna gets time to throw we'll be in trouble. We're not facing the Browns this week. I think this game is 50-50, but I will not be surprised if we lose this one.

162795[/snapback]

Mark has responded to your question correctly IMO, but you additionally might want to consider that there's a very good chance that it won't be the Cincy O that is the unit from their side that plays a larger influence in the outcome. Passing games thrive on opportunities while the Cincy D, rated 5th worst league-wide against he run, is already giving up 138+ yards per game. Plus we've been running better all year on exactly the surface they use on their own field. The weather/surface issues being of no advantage to Cincy negates to some degree the gains of playing in their own stadium.

Unlike a passing offense, a running offense kills you slowly while limiting opponent opportunities. The outcome of this game appears to simply hinge upon our ability to run the ball, and if we do that the potency of their WR corps will have little or no effect.

There is one major difference in our team right now that everyone, including myself, overlooks. It is unfortunate I cannot remember who called this out a couple of months ago, but they were very prophetic. Keep in mind that the fear you may have going into a game like this is based on the items below BEFORE they were improved upon.

Teams try to stop us based on the philosophy that if you put eight in the box and stop our run game, you force Bledsoe to to beat you, and Bledsoe can't beat you...so stop the run and you stop the Bills.

That doesn't work anymore on a number of fronts:

(1) It's tough to stop our run game anymore as our line is improved, doubled with the fact that McGahee gives us a runner who doesn't just run off tackle, but can get outside and turn nothing into something. Has anyone noticed how many more 2nd and 6s we have instead of 1st and 15s?

(2) Our line is improved, coupled with better backfield blocking, giving Bledsoe more time...particularly when you consider he is working hard to get rid of the ball faster.

(3) People now have to pay attention to Evans, and not just Moulds.

(4) Our defense is winning the turnover battles, and because (1) and (2) are improved, we're able to convert turnovers into points...to me, the most critical part of a game.

(5) Our special teams are off the richter, so even when our drives fail, we ultimately begin winning the battle of field position.

Mark IV was right earlier when he stated we're not overconfident. We're simply more confident because we're finally at a position where the only way a team can beat us is to actually beat us, whereas before we did a good job of finding a way to lose long before our opponent could win.

I'm not saying this game is a slam dunk...and I'm not even 100% confident we can win. But you won't see me making any tequila wings anytime soon, either.

Rams and Seahawks are underachieving pansies. Dolphins and Browns stink.

We will find out a lot about these Bills on Sunday. This would be the best win of the entire streak. It's going to be close, and Buffalo will need to be clutch.

Personally, I'm not ready to believe it just yet. Cincinnati 24, Buffalo 20