3 Days Togo; Bills rumors of 4/25...

If the offense was better at scoring points and staying on the field, the opposition would not be able to simply line up and smash the ball at our defense for the entire game trying to burn clock. Our Run defense numbers are poor in part because the offense sucks.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

This fascination with drafting a QB is getting annoying. I haven't seen a single QB in this draft that is worth the hype being thrown at them. IMO, this years class is flat out mediocre. As if that wasn't enough, here's the thing I wish people would focus on: drafting a QB gets us absolutely nowhere this year. No rookie is going to come in and outperform Fitz this year or next. It's just not going to happen. For God sakes, get an impact defensive player that can help us stop the !@#$ing run. Our run defense is as porous as a freaking colander and we're drooling over QB's.

I agree with mike its common sense fix whats wrong an besides fitz has worked hard an earn the job. DEFENSE, DEFENSE,DEFENSE,DEFENSE,DEFENSE, Of course ther are going to draft that wide reciever everyones gushing about, then we all have something to bitcha about!!!!!

This fascination with drafting a QB is getting annoying. I haven't seen a single QB in this draft that is worth the hype being thrown at them. IMO, this years class is flat out mediocre. As if that wasn't enough, here's the thing I wish people would focus on: drafting a QB gets us absolutely nowhere this year. No rookie is going to come in and outperform Fitz this year or next. It's just not going to happen. For God sakes, get an impact defensive player that can help us stop the !@#$ing run. Our run defense is as porous as a freaking colander and we're drooling over QB's.

amen. And the same people clamoring for a QB are probably the same bunch that were placated when we drafted Mike Williams over Dwight Freeney, Ed Reed, Albert Haynesworth, John Henderson, etc. Drafting for need is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. You have to look at grades, and draft players that grade out, instead of reaching for need. Newton- bust. Gabbert- meh. Ditto the next group of 7- one collective bunch of meh. Meanwhile there is a plethora of defensive front 7- which we could use an upgrade to 6 of our front 7. Yet some still want a QB. I am stupefied at this logic

and to play devils advocate, throw out all logic, and disregard the defensive talent in this draft, and to draft offense- a RT, TE, and RB would do a lot more for our offense then draft a QB.

OK first off get your facts straight, we had the 24th Ranked offense. Yes I realize that does suck but its not second to last. Second, consider this: our Defense could never get off the field.....we got gouged in the run game and teams would just kill the clock on us every second half of any game we were losing. We got killed in time of possesion because the defense couldn't get off the field which caused our Offense to sit and watch. Give me a defense that can get off the field and give the offense more opportunities. If the defense gets better....so will our offensive numbers. Fitz played great last year, it wasn't his fault. We can win with Fitz. :thumbsup:

I generally agree with picking D, but to play devil's advocate: perhaps the offense not ranking last had to do with them gaining yards

because the opposition had the lead and was playing soft/prevent defense much of the last quarter of every game.

Peter King's Twitter:

Regarding top 3 teams trading down.....

SI_PeterKing Peter King

A sign that the top few picks in draft won't move: John Fox told NFLN's Kara Henderson that Den's had zero calls trying to deal for 2d pick.

The fascination with drafting a QB comes from a good place. Listen, the Bills will not be a competitive team for the duration until they have a franchise QB. Fitz is serviceable, but as we all know, he is not the franchise guy. Furthermore, the Bills will very likely have their choice of one of the top two QBs in the draft. Given that there is no guarantee they will have an opportunity to draft the top QB again, its understandable why people are hesitant to pass up the chance in favor of a safer bet.

I'd be more than happy with drafting Dareus or Miller and I've said that all long. But, I have to admit, I've definitely warmed to the idea of Gabbert. I only know what I have read, but what I have read makes me think that he could be pretty successful.

That being said, lets say that the Panthers pass on Newton and pull the trigger on Dareus. And then the Broncos take Miller (though Peterson is more likely). Who do the Bills take? Do they take a QB? Or do they take someone like Fairley? I think its a very real possibility that both Miller and Dareus are off the board by the time the Bills pick, but very people have discussed what will happen in that scenario. What are the rumors regarding Buffalo's interest in Fairley?

if the draft goes Dareus- Miller 1-2 - I hope and pray that the Bills do the pragmatic thing, and trade down. Washington at 10 would be great, as would New England trading us their first 3 picks. No brainer! Let someone else overpay and get burned by Newton or Gabbert.

Pats trade-

17-Gane Carimi

28-Sheard

33-Brooks Reed

34-Kyle Rudolph

Redskins trade-

10-Bowers-Fairley-Watt-Jordan

34-Taylor-Paea-Austin

41-Carter-Houston-Ayers

I much prefer either scenerio then selecting at 3 after Miller and Dareus are off the board

Peter King's Twitter:

Regarding top 3 teams trading down.....

SI_PeterKing Peter King

A sign that the top few picks in draft won't move: John Fox told NFLN's Kara Henderson that Den's had zero calls trying to deal for 2d pick.

Could be a smoke screen.

if the draft goes Dareus- Miller 1-2 - I hope and pray that the Bills do the pragmatic thing, and trade down. Washington at 10 would be great, as would New England trading us their first 3 picks. No brainer! Let someone else overpay and get burned by Newton or Gabbert.

Pats trade-

17-Gane Carimi

28-Sheard

33-Brooks Reed

34-Kyle Rudolph

Redskins trade-

10-Bowers-Fairley-Watt-Jordan

34-Taylor-Paea-Austin

41-Carter-Houston-Ayers

I much prefer either scenerio then selecting at 3 after Miller and Dareus are off the board

I mean, to be honest, if there isn't anyone there that the Bills want at 3. There probably won't be anyone there that anyone else wants (at least in terms of trading up for). I'm fairly certain that none of these QBs are guys that teams are willing to trade a future 1st round pick for. So outside of a team that REALLY wants Peterson or AJ Green, the Bills will be stuck at 3 if Dareus and Miller go 1 + 2.

Could be a smoke screen.

Or just reality.

I see 0 chance the Bills trade down. Especially given the current situation facing the NFL.

Edited by Union2008

My feeling is that the Bills have Dareus #1 and Miller #2. If either one is available at 3, they take him. If both are gone, then I think the Bills will be open to trading down.

The Skins would be ideal because there will still be several really good D players available at #10, in particular, Cam Jordan, who I think (trying to parse Nixley's statements here) the Bills hold in high regard. Picking Jordan at 3 (if Dareus and Miller were gone) would bring a world of criticism, I believe (and a quite high contract). But at 10, it would be much more acceptable. Plus the Bills would pick up another slot in this draft, and perhaps another high one next year.

Buffalo to #10 is 900 points, which is two 2nd's minimum. Washington does not have a 3rd or 4th rounder, but if they are willing to give us a second and fifth this year and a 3rd next year (iffy), Here's what it'd look like in a DraftTek Sim, and I'd go for that.

1 10 Buffalo Cameron Jordan DE34 California P3Grab +0 Value

2 34 Buffalo Mason Foster ILB Washington P2 -1 Reach

2 41 Buffalo Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame P3O +8 Value

3 68 Buffalo Andy Dalton QB TCU P1 +9 Value

4 100 Buffalo James Carpenter OT Alabama P3 +7 Value

4 122 Buffalo Kenrick Ellis DT34 Hampton P2 -4 Reach

5 133 Buffalo Jalil Brown CB Colorado P3 -5 Reach

5 144 Buffalo Dom DeCicco SS Pittsburgh P4R +2 Value

6 169 Buffalo Shiloh Keo FS Idaho P4R -2 Reach

7 206 Buffalo Jah Reid OT Central Florida P4R +5 Value

7 245 Buffalo Roy Helu RB Nebraska P4 +13 Value

Another scenario mentioned was a team trading up for AJ Green or Julio Jones.

That's most likely Minnesota at 12, or St. Louis at 14. Both have WR as a top priority (Evans?)

Anyway...

Minnesota doesn't have a 3rd Rounder, and their #12 and #41 won't cut it.

St. Louis has picks in the first 5 rounds. We'll take their #14, #47, and #78, netting 6 picks in the Top 100.

If you trade Evans for the #12, you can add Cameron Jordan or Costanzo to the list! :lol:

1 14 Buffalo Nick Fairley DE34 Auburn

2 34 Buffalo Mason Foster ILB Washington

2 47 Buffalo Andy Dalton QB TCU

3 68 Buffalo D.J. Williams TE Arkansas

3 78 Buffalo Jerrell Powe DT34 Mississippi

4 100 Buffalo Casey Matthews ILB Oregon

4 122 Buffalo Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State

5 133 Buffalo Ricky Elmore OLB34 Arizona

6 169 Buffalo Jermale Hines FS Ohio State

7 206 Buffalo Lee Ziemba OT Auburn

7 245 Buffalo Alex Henery PK Nebraska

Our offense DID suck. We had the second worst offense in the NFL. So many people want to make Fitz sound like he played like a superstar. He didn't. We still did not score often enough. Still too many turnovers and not enough sustained drives. Teams ran against us because they had the lead.

I am not saying the defense was great, but you cannot bury your head in the sand and think that all they need to do is draft a few defensive players and the problems are solved.

Also, we drafted Troup and Carrington last year, we have Dwan Edwards, Merriman and Andra Davis (Danny Batten too) coming back from injury and Moats ready to play more. I think some attention needs to be paid to Offense. We need a franchise QB, OT and TE.

Our defense sucked with these guys and will suck again if we do not beef it up. We need to draft mostly defense this year. Teams ran against us not because they had the lead, they ran because it was so so easy. They passed whenever they had to and ran whenever they wanted. But you suggest to trade down, draft an OT, then trade back in for a QB. How freaking insane. To waste the first two picks on offense when this defense is in such shambles is idiocy. Only Newton and Gabbert warrant a first round grade and they are bottom round talent (17-32), But you want us to trade back into the first and pick up a third round graded QB - Mallet or Dalton. We did that once and his name was Losman. Not again, thank you. Wait till round three and hope Copernicus is still there. If we do trade down in round 1 and pick up Jordan or Watt, we should only trade back into the first for Phil Taylor, a true NT, because this team does not have a nose tackle and it runs a 3-4 defense. You cannot run a 3-4 defense without a true NT. Kyle Williams is not a 3-4 NT, never was, never will be. Troupe is not a true 3-4 NT either. This defense needs players that fit a 3-4 scheme and we do not have many of them right now. Expand Fitz's numbers to a full year and the offense was not that bad. Not very good but not that bad. Get him an OT in rd 3, move Wood to center and Hangartner to the bench, then pray that Bell answers the door. Then pick up a starting caliber guard and tight end in free agency. Hope that Spiller learns to block as Freddy only has two good years left. Then drop off the key Lee, and hope Easeley is the answer as this offense will always suck if Evans is on it.