Fitzpatrick and OLBs

bama18

I dont get why people think that we will draft Miller. I just cant see us doing that. We have already invested a lot of money to the position. We have Kelsey who just signed a large contract and we have Merriman who also signed a contract. I cant see us signing another guy that is going to want top money. Also we have Moats who is looking promising. I see us picking Blaine Gabbert at 3 and addressing the defense at 34. Fitz is not the answer at qb. He had one okay season. He went 4-10 as a starter. Before that he was nothing. Also how many teams with a franchise qb are picking in the top 5. Fitz is the backup qb i want one my team because he will put up ok numbers if your starter is hurt.

Edited by cjspiller21

How will the 32nd ranked rushing defense be improved if we draft a QB to sit on the bench next year with pick 3? Only 3 teams had lower sack totals then Buffalo's paltry 27. How will Buffalo's pass rush be improved? And are you telling me the answer is Chris Kelsay and Merriman(who hasn't done jack in hte past 4 years)? If we neglect D and draft a QB with pick 3, we will be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. And that does kind of defeat the purpose of draft a QB in 11, doesn't it?

We need a franchise qb to start the rebuilding before we look at the d in round 2. They will be some good talent in rounds other then one. Also im not saying Kelsey and Merriman are the answer im just saying we have too much money investing in that position to add Miller

Edited by cjspiller21

We need a franchise qb to start the rebuilding before we look at the d in round 2. They will be some good talent in rounds other then one. Also im not saying Kelsey and Merriman are the answer im just saying we have too much money investing in that position to add Miller

Sure, it would be ideal to pick a franchise QB. But once again I have to ask, where is this mythical creature to be found in this year's draft? You do know that there is a difference between wanting a unicorn and there actually being unicorns, right.

On the other hand, the Bills have an adequate Qb in place but have huge holes in the defense. And wonder of wonder! There is a surplus of D players available this year. Real live ones, not make-believe ones like that "franchise QB" that supposedly exists.

Draft Green this year and one of the top QB's next year. That way we will have our Kelly, Reed and Thomas. It would be Spiller, Green and next year's QB. We will be set for a decade.

Please don't EVER...I mean EVERRRR compare Spiller to Thomas again. EVER. U f'in kidding me?

I dont get why people think that we will draft Miller. I just cant see us doing that. We have already invested a lot of money to the position. We have Kelsey who just signed a large contract and we have Merriman who also signed a contract. I cant see us signing another guy that is going to want top money. Also we have Moats who is looking promising. I see us picking Blaine Gabbert at 3 and addressing the defense at 34. Fitz is not the answer at qb. He had one okay season. He went 4-10 as a starter. Before that he was nothing. Also how many teams with a franchise qb are picking in the top 5. Fitz is the backup qb i want one my team because he will put up ok numbers if your starter is hurt.

Your post has been said over a million times. Originality isn't your strong suit.

If your argument is based on the amount of money invested in the position then you need more help than the Bills. Kelsay, if we find a true OLB, would only be on the field as a DE in our 4 man fronts. So that leaves the contracts of a low round pick and a possible gimp with an easily disposable contract if he can't stay healthy. Oh wait, now I get it. I must be talking to RW.

Draft Green this year and one of the top QB's next year. That way we will have our Kelly, Reed and Thomas. It would be Spiller, Green and next year's QB. We will be set for a decade.

I think you're forgetting our best player. Where's our Bruce?

If the Bills believe that BOTH Newton and Gabbert are the types of QB's that can be what everyone calls a "franchise" quarterback then there is a decent chance they will take whichever is first on their board and available at #3. If only one fits this mold and he gets picked at #1 or #2 then they will most likely go Dareus or Miller at #3. I believe Miller has the best odds of being the Bills pick since Dareus will most likely go to Denver.

I asked this in another post but what happens if Carolina shocks everyone and picks Miller and Denver picks Dareus or vice-versa? I believe this is the only scenario that raises the odds that we will take a QB at #3 since both will be there to take.

I also agree with some of the other posters on here that say Buffalo wants Ponder (or another QB) with their 2nd rd pick. If this is true then they will most likely go D at #3.

The Bills could also shock everyone and take a player nobody expected like they did last year.

It is all a roll of the dice.

Fitz > Gabbert. That's why. It won't necessarily be Miller though. Will definitely be defense though.

How will the 32nd ranked rushing defense be improved if we draft a QB to sit on the bench next year with pick 3? Only 3 teams had lower sack totals then Buffalo's paltry 27. How will Buffalo's pass rush be improved? And are you telling me the answer is Chris Kelsay and Merriman(who hasn't done jack in hte past 4 years)? If we neglect D and draft a QB with pick 3, we will be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. And that does kind of defeat the purpose of draft a QB in 11, doesn't it?

I don't know Pete...

This Team, as is with all those injuries, was 4-4 to finish off the 2010 Season...You're 100% right that a Rookie QB is not going to help the Defense but if he's the right guy he's going to be the difference in a HUGE way from 2012 and on...If you want to win in 2011, and that is the goal, then no way do you take a QB...But really does anyone think the goal is to win in 2011? If you're convinced there is a Franchise QB available and you want the chance to win and be a perennial Playoff Team for the next 10-15 years, then you take the QB while you're up there...Because chances are VERY small The Bills will Pick this high again...VERY small...And if they do Draft #1 Overall in 2012 then you have options...A TON of options...I don't see it happening (Drafting #1 overall in 2012) though no matter who they pick...What I do see happening if they go Defense heavy at the Top of this Draft is the Bills going 6-10 and still having a HUGE hole at the most important Position on the Team...

Just my opinion though...I like Miller a heck of a lot...I just want to see The Bills get a big time QB and stop playing around at that Position...I think they can improve on D simply by Drafting heavy there in Rounds 4-7 and add that to the guys they picked up last Season. Those Players along with being more familiar with the scheme should help plenty on Defense...We'll see though... B-)

Kelsay is not a starting OLB in the NFL..he was barely starting material at his natural position, DE. Merriman's lights have been out since 2008. If we're supposed to rely on these two clowns for our future, then god help us.

This thread started by a guy whose screenname is about Spiller, a guy we drafted when we had BOTH Freddie and Marshawn already on the team. Hahahahaha!

Buddy uses the BPA formula, especially in the early rounds. Von Miller should be no surprise if drafted.

Last year, Spiller was arguably the 7th BPA, which is why we bolted to the podium and grabbed him at 9.

You won't even remember this post in a few years and none of us will remember Gabbert.

Thanks for looking in your crystal ball and giving me a heads up... ;)

I'll remember...And I'm betting Gabbert will be a Player...Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not...But we'll see... B-)

Your missing the whole point ! We need someone to step in and make a immediate impact on this team , if you get a QB that high in a year which even the guru's are saying this is a week QB class & then you have to let them sit for a year or longer you will miss on a top defensive player that will be an immediate performer .

Last season if the D could have stepped up in a few games all of the ones that we lost by 3 pts right there is another 4 wins so that puts us at 8 & 8 500%. So if we go heavy this year on D and with a few upgrades in FA on the O line , more time for Fitz ,more points on Offense better D , less points for opponents = more wins .

Then next year if you want an A-1 prospect at QB mortgage the farm & go after Luck blow a nut and go to #1 if need be & get him , D is set , more protection for him & you still have Fitz for one more year to teach the kid so he don't fall flat on his face .

This years QB class is just to much risk & the possibility of not enough reward . The only way i would take a QB is in the later rounds & i would go with a proven winner like Dalton , that's all the kid does is win & he just get's better each year !! lower rounds less risk .

Plus if you draft a QB with the 3rd pick if Fitz has one bad game ALL the fans will be

SCREAMING PUT HIM IN !! and he won't be ready yet , more stress on everyone concerned , QB to much hassle this year !! Go D - GO BILLS !!!!

If the Bills believe that BOTH Newton and Gabbert are the types of QB's that can be what everyone calls a "franchise" quarterback then there is a decent chance they will take whichever is first on their board and available at #3. If only one fits this mold and he gets picked at #1 or #2 then they will most likely go Dareus or Miller at #3. I believe Miller has the best odds of being the Bills pick since Dareus will most likely go to Denver.

I asked this in another post but what happens if Carolina shocks everyone and picks Miller and Denver picks Dareus or vice-versa? I believe this is the only scenario that raises the odds that we will take a QB at #3 since both will be there to take.

I also agree with some of the other posters on here that say Buffalo wants Ponder (or another QB) with their 2nd rd pick. If this is true then they will most likely go D at #3.

The Bills could also shock everyone and take a player nobody expected like they did last year.

It is all a roll of the dice.

There gonna pick ponder with the # 3 mark it dowm !!!