The All Over Rated Team

Thailog80

Donahoe has been "amazing"??  :lol:

I don't mean to piss on anyone's Corn Flakes, but are you kidding me?  8-8, 6-10, and 7-6 in the last 2.75 years?  Weren't their SB aspirations around there the last 2 years?

You're riding a nice streak, but start beating good teams before going overboard.  This week, if the Bills get blown out, will you still feel that PrimaDonahoe has done an amazing job?

There are still lots of pieces the TD is going to have to put in place:  The D is aging, and probably 2 WR's are going to be needed (not to mention a QB, and a suspect O-Line.)  If the Bills finish 7-9 or 8-8, and then throw a clunker on the board next year because Losman can't play, what will the masses be saying then?

They'll be wanting TD's head.

161929[/snapback]

Holy Crap. It's true. You ARE Ice.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yet another reflection of the job TD has done.

It's not just about bringing in the stars, its about when to cut the dead weight.

161822[/snapback]

Remember that when names like Bledsoe and Moulds are mentioned. Combined 15 Million + in cap space next year for players past their prime. Think what that 15 Mil could bring in FA.

Continuing on the same subject, which teams were over-rated at the

beginning of the season and the record they have to show for.

My picks are:

1.  Dallas - Was overated after they over-achieved last year to a 10-6 record.

2.  Minnesota -  With TC as the DC and acquiring  Winfield they were a

favorites to win the NFC north. Now they are fighting for a playoff spot.

3.  Washington was given way too much credit for hiring Gibbs and Brunell

and Clinton Portis.

4.  Baltimore was the chick pick to win the AFC north. Now they are 2 games

away from not making the playoffs.

5.  Tenneesee

161852[/snapback]

You're forgetting Miami. Before the year began, analysts saw their good defense, their good running game (led by Ricky Williams), a passing game that would presumably be improved by A.J. Feeley and David Boston, and a revamped offensive line. Some analysts had them going to the Super Bowl. Turns out they were a little off.

I was never one of the ones calling for TD's head, though I had my doubts about some of his moves. But stuff like this confirms that guys like me, anyway, don't know enough to make meaningful comments.

Wiley, fir instance--I was distressed when the Bills let him get away. I figured he was just coming into his own as a DE, after three years, and would be a solid performer if not a star. I guess San Diego and Dalls thought so too, Boy were we wrong. TD was right.

Same with Cowart, whom I also waqs distressed to see go.

I was never a huge Peerless Price fan, so that one didn't bother me so much.

The point is, however, that building and managing a team is a complex business that involves a dozen different skills--drafting, talent evaluation, cap management, hiring coaches, etc. etc. I could question other TD moves--I thought he was cavalier about how hard it is to get a first rate FG kicker, and I never was a Gregg Williams man--but the fact is, TD is a solid general manager and perhaps much better than solid. He will take chances and sometimes they don't work out, but he's shrewd and steady and it seems to finally be paying off.

In fact, the one bad mistake he made with the Bills was to hire GW. Subtract that one and it's hard to reasonably fault him on other decisions, even when they haven't worked out. And even that decision can be seen as his rolling the dice on a first-rate successful defensive coordinatior with the hope that he might pay off big, rather than hiring some retread head coach who was a known quantity. He did the same thing with M Mularkey, which considering the result with GW is an amazingly ballsy move. Yet on this one it seems to be paying off.

I think a lot of people on the board owe TD some kudos, and some slack. Though there's still a long way to go with this team.

I was never one of the ones calling for TD's head, though I had my doubts about some of his moves.  But stuff like this confirms that guys like me, anyway, don't know enough to make meaningful comments.

Wiley, fir instance--I was distressed when the Bills let him get away.  I figured he was just coming into his own as a DE, after three years, and would be a solid performer if not a star.  I guess San Diego and Dalls thought so too,  Boy were we wrong.  TD was right.

Same with Cowart, whom I also waqs distressed to see go.

I was never a huge Peerless Price fan, so that one didn't bother me so much.

The point is, however, that building and managing a team is a complex business that involves a dozen different skills--drafting, talent evaluation, cap management, hiring coaches, etc. etc.  I could question other TD moves--I thought he was cavalier about how hard it is to get a first rate FG kicker, and I never was a Gregg Williams man--but the fact is, TD is a solid general manager and perhaps much better than solid.  He will take chances and sometimes they don't work out, but he's shrewd and steady and it seems to finally be paying off.

In fact, the one bad mistake he made with the Bills was to hire GW.  Subtract that one and it's hard to reasonably fault him on other decisions, even when they haven't worked out.  And even that decision can be seen as his rolling the dice on a first-rate successful defensive coordinatior with the hope that he might pay off big, rather than hiring some retread head coach who was a known quantity.  He did the same thing with M Mularkey, which considering the result with GW is an amazingly ballsy move.  Yet on this one it seems to be paying off.

I think a lot of people on the board owe TD some kudos, and some slack.  Though there's still a long way to go with this team.

162019[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly. Well stated.

It’s incredibly irresponsible to include the guy making more difference for the Jets than any other player on the offensive side of the ball. Mawae has been dominant in the running game, keeping 31 year old Curtis Martin among the top rushers in the league. He’s also one of the few Centers in football whose team trusts him with one-on-one assignments against DTs regularly. While the quarterback-obsessed press and that “naïve” portion of the Jet’s fan base who spend Sundays watching the ball and crediting Pennington and Carter with the Jet run, the actual reason has been the on-field leadership and individual play of Mawae at the Center position. The attempt to qualify the pick with the “only center who got more than one vote” garbage simply means Mawae is the only Center whose name the voters recognized. Surprise, surprise.

It’s incredibly irresponsible to include the guy making more difference for the Jets than any other player on the offensive side of the ball. Mawae has been dominant in the running game, keeping 31 year old Curtis Martin among the top rushers in the league. He’s also one of the few Centers in football whose team trusts him with one-on-one assignments against DTs regularly. While the quarterback-obsessed press and that “naïve” portion of the Jet’s fan base spends Sunday’s watching the ball and crediting Pennington and Carter with the Jet run, the actual reason has been the on-field leadership and individual play of Mawae at the Center position. The attempt to qualify the pick with the “only center who got more than one vote” garbage simply means Mawae is the only Center whose name the voters recognized. Surprise, surprise.

162029[/snapback]

I agree. He's been as good as ever this season. Not unexpected, given the caliber of the average sports columnist.

I agree.  He's been as good as ever this season.  Not unexpected, given the caliber of the average sports columnist.

162091[/snapback]

I'd go so far as to say he's playing at his highest level ever and one place it really shows is on the extra feed shows on NFL Network that have featured the Jets this year. Everytime you see the Jet offense on the sideline it seems Mawae is pushing the balance of his unit and sticking his head in other postion huddles to rev 'em up. In the game he's making plays all over the field, finishes every block and plays until the whistle blows.

I'd go so  far as to say he's playing at his highest level ever and one place it really shows is on the extra feed shows on NFL Network that have featured the Jets this year. Everytime you see the Jet offense on the sideline it seems Mawae is pushing the balance of his unit and sticking his head in other postion huddles to rev 'em up. In the game he's making plays all over the field, finishes every block and plays until the whistle blows.

162106[/snapback]

I can't disagree with that based on the few times I've been able to watch the NYJ's play this season. I saw alot more of them early in the year and if it were possible, he'd have been their MVP.

Donahoe has been "amazing"??  :lol:

I don't mean to piss on anyone's Corn Flakes, but are you kidding me?  8-8, 6-10, and 7-6 in the last 2.75 years?  Weren't their SB aspirations around there the last 2 years?

You're riding a nice streak, but start beating good teams before going overboard.  This week, if the Bills get blown out, will you still feel that PrimaDonahoe has done an amazing job?

There are still lots of pieces the TD is going to have to put in place:  The D is aging, and probably 2 WR's are going to be needed (not to mention a QB, and a suspect O-Line.)  If the Bills finish 7-9 or 8-8, and then throw a clunker on the board next year because Losman can't play, what will the masses be saying then?

They'll be wanting TD's head.

161929[/snapback]

Exactly....unitl we see improvement next year, it is hard to state the TD or MM are amazing. I look at San Diego, and I see AJ Smith who could have been our GM.

Exactly....unitl we see improvement next year, it is hard to state the TD or MM are amazing.  I look at San Diego, and I see AJ Smith who could have been our GM.

162115[/snapback]

Did you see him last year when the Chargers sucked? The great talent evaluator could have picked any number of players since he already had a good QB on his roster. Instead he picked another QB.

Brilliant. :lol:

Did you see him last year when the Chargers sucked?  The great talent evaluator could have picked any number of players since he already had a good QB on his roster.  Instead he picked another QB.

Brilliant.  :lol:

162116[/snapback]

I bet he parlays either Rivers or Brees into something..similar to TD parlaying Peerless. Last year was on Bulters short watch. I always thought we should have hired AJ, but Butler convinced him to go to SD, a team that will be competitive for years to come.

I bet he parlays either Rivers or Brees into something..similar to TD parlaying Peerless.  Last year was on Bulters short watch.  I always thought we should have hired AJ, but Butler convinced him to go to SD, a team that will be competitive for years to come.

162121[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm sure he's going to parlay Rivers into something by eating his double digit signing bonus. :lol:

The other options are:

1. Pay WAY too much money for the QB position and screw up your depth everywhere else - which is exactly what they did here.

2. Get rid of this season's team MVP and turn it over to an untested rookie. That'll ensure a good locker room.

That AJ Smith. He's just so darn dreamy.

Another guy we wanted to get Bobber, how is he doing in KC ?

161840[/snapback]

According to his Stats Inc. Profile, Bober is playing RT for the Chiefs due to an injury to John Welbourn and has given up 3.0 sacks in 2 starts (13 games) played this season. In comparison Marcus Price has given 4.50 sacks in 3 starts (11 games). Meanwhile BIG Mike Williams has given up 6.50 sacks in 12 games thus far.

Of course many here were wanting Bober at Center and while I know sacks not the only stat to judge an O-lineman on, to date Teague has given up 0 sacks in 9 starts.

In the salary cap era, you can build a contender overnight - Belichick did it in New England, Vermeil did it in St. Louis, Schottenheimer is doing it in SD.  Donahoe has tried to do just that (adding Bledsoe, Spikes, Fletcher, Adams, Milloy) and whiffed.

Every Bills fan had SB aspirations leading up to '03. 

Donahoe... amazing.  :D

Amazing.

161942[/snapback]

EVERY Bills fan!?!? :lol::lol:

Just like Im sure EVERY Pats fan knew Brady was gonna be great from Day 1 right?

Labeling everyone into one thought will get you nowhere :)

Some teams can be built overnight as a contender, its not the rule, I agree it can be done, but its not done with the snap of a finger either.

You're forgetting Miami. Before the year began, analysts saw their good defense, their good running game (led by Ricky Williams), a passing game that would presumably be improved by A.J. Feeley and David Boston, and a revamped offensive line. Some analysts had them going to the Super Bowl. Turns out they were a little off.

162015[/snapback]

Dude as soon as Ricky left to smoke reefer the Dolphins' Super Bowl chances went up in smoke. I guess it's not really smart to build an entire offense around one player now is it?

As for the overrated team, I hate to say it but Moulds could be on that squad ---he's not as good as he thinks he is and Evans has stolen some of his spotlight this year.

As far as Harrington goes, when did he ever become rated?? Joey has yet to prove himself in this league,. so how can he be overrated??

You want a real overrated individual -----Sean Salisbury, talking head on ESPN who flunked out of third-string QB school in the NFL.

EVERY Bills fan!?!?   :lol:  :lol:

Just like Im sure EVERY Pats fan knew Brady was gonna be great from Day 1 right?

Labeling everyone into one thought will get you nowhere  :D

Some teams can be built overnight as a contender, its not the rule, I agree it can be done, but its not done with the snap of a finger either.

162279[/snapback]

Don't let it bother you. Every Pats fan will be enternally bitter towards TD until thier first love , Mr. Nice Guy, Bledsoe is out of the league and playin' checkers at an old folks home. It is the nature of the beast... They rip TD endlessly because he took DB. Every Pats fan would have been happy to see him hang it up after 2001... As long as he plays they won't be vindicated, they will just find other reasons to lash out on.

I am not saying that they were wrong. I just can't understand why they can't let Bledsoe off their mind and why they keep on ripping TD?

It has got to be a Bledsoe thing at the heart of their TD ire?

As long as they can still wheel the guy out... I say stick it to the Patsies and all thier troll lovin' fans!

Urlacher reminds me of the PGH cheap-shot artist, Jack Lambert, who gained fame between Andy Russell and Jack Ham, fronted by the Steel Curtain and backed up by Donnie Shell and Mike Wagner.

161839[/snapback]

Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, hall of fame, greatest defense ever, enough said