Rumor has Denver shopping #2 pick

I know this will excite the Dareus people...

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/4/12/2107285/denver-broncos-allegedly-shopping-2nd-overall-pick

I still like Quinn over anybody in this draft, even Dareus. I get the feeling that Dareus won't be as great as experts say he'll be. There's such a low hit rate on top 10 big defensive linemen. It may not be fair, but he strikes me as a guy who could be the defensive version of big Mike Williams. There's an interview of him laughing at the reporter's suggestion whether he'd been working out since championship win (which they won a month earlier). After he laughs he says that he's never considered himself a workout warrior...yikes, not good! But get excited Dareus people, he may be on the board after all.

Edited by 1billsfan

This can only mean that the Pats* or Steelers are looking to trade up with Denver in order to take Quinn at two.

GO BILLS!!!

Not to take a swipe at you, but how did you come up with that deduction. One team that is listening to offers equates to two other teams expressing interest in solely one of the possible 5 or 6 players being considered at that spot? The mind works in mysterious ways...

This can only mean that the Pats* or Steelers are looking to trade up with Denver in order to take Quinn at two.

GO BILLS!!!

I know you're joking, but there's some truth to the Pats and Ravens making a big move. Not at #2, but starting at pick #5.

Only the Pats have enough picks to move up to the 2nd pick but it's HIGHLY doubtful they'd do that since there will be a highly sought after rush linebacker left even if the Bills do select one of the two. I definitely could see the Pats (and maybe the Ravens if Quinn is there) go after Miller or Quinn at Arizona's pick.

Edited by 1billsfan

Not to take a swipe at you, but how did you come up with that deduction. One team that is listening to offers equates to two other teams expressing interest in solely one of the possible 5 or 6 players being considered at that spot? The mind works in mysterious ways...

We're talking the Pats* and Steelers here, not just any two teams. They know talent and are probably in talks with Carolina as we speak just to ensure they have THE shot at getting Quinn. Why would two great teams like that mess around and risk not getting the player they want?

GO BILLS!!!

PS - If you were better acquainted with some previous posts in the Von Miller threads, you'd know that I am being sarcastic and just messin' with 1billsfan.

We're talking the Pats* and Steelers here, not just any two teams. They know talent and are probably in talks with Carolina as we speak just to ensure they have THE shot at getting Quinn. Why would two great teams like that mess around and risk not getting the player they want?

GO BILLS!!!

PS - If you were better acquainted with some previous posts in the Von Miller threads, you'd know that I am being sarcastic and just messin' with 1billsfan.

Fair, haven't kept up with some of the threads as I find they link together w/ the same people saying the same things about the same possible draftees. I spend more time in the Shoutbox than in the threads. Appreciate the insight.

Buddy asleep at the wheel again!

What rumor?

With the absence of any elite LTs or QBs. Franchises aren't exactly jumping up and down, eager to pay a LB or 3-4 DE 50 million dollars.

1-9 all want to trade down.

It's a fact not a rumor.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I know you're joking, but there's some truth to the Pats and Ravens making a big move. Not at #2, but starting at pick #5.

Only the Pats have enough picks to move up to the 2nd pick but it's HIGHLY doubtful they'd do that since there will be a highly sought after rush linebacker left even if the Bills do select one of the two. I definitely could see the Pats (and maybe the Ravens if Quinn is there) go after Miller or Quinn at Arizona's pick.

From the information I gathered from your previous posts, they are only interested in Quinn. I though you made that quite obvious. Why would they be interested in miller? Oh yeah, he's a stud.

No offense OP, but 99% of these trade down threads are completely unrealistic. I don't think anybody in the top 5 can pull of a trade down without a new CBA, because there's no guarantee that there will be a rookie wage scale. Without that, what team in their right mind is going to give up a slew of draft picks (in a year where there may be no free agency) just to pay gobs of money to an unproven player?

And don't get me started on the draft pick trade value chart that gets touted around here...that thing was developed back in 1989, before the #1 overall pick was automatically awarded $50M in guaranteed money. Top picks just don't have the same trade value they once did.

Okay, rant over...sorry.

IMO the earliest you could see a pick get traded would be the #6 pick, if Patrick Peterson fell and a team like Houston thought they could get to him before San Francisco picked him at No. 7. Then the question becomes two-fold: (1) Will Houston pony up a #2 pick to Cleveland? AND (2) Would they even find it worthwhile when they can likely stay at No. 11 and get a guy like Prince Amukamara or J.J. Watt?

Trade up usually means QB

I agree! I think this is great as I doubt we have any interest in wasting our #3 on Newton or Gabbert as if we acquire either of these players with the #3

1. Quite frankly I doubt a rookie QB who is seeing NFL blitz packages for the first time over the centers back even survives behind out OL which is at least a player and a half (starting RT and a swing guy giving us flexibility with back-ups) plus a year of play to develop chemistry merely to become adequate. Fitzy is almost certain;y not the franchise QB we need, but the pluses he does bring are:

A. Bright mind who has seen a lot the DC tricks (a rookie will learn by getting killed and the D book on the Bills will be to rush early and often on a #3 drafted QB.

B. His vet football mind allows him not only to anticipate the blitz but also know which OL players are overmatched and the blitz likely come from that direction as our OL players get beaten.

C. Good athleticism which allows him to escape when the pocket breaks down.

Fitz is not a long term answer for us likely but a rookie better sit, watch. and learn his rookie year or he will get killed.

2. The conventional wisdom is that a first round pick should be a first year starter. About 50% of the time the cw is wrong (in fact Eric Moulds is a classic example of a player who did not produce at all his first two years but became a perrenial Pro Bowl candidate. Though Moulds was not the norm the QB position is one where the best often sit for a while and learn. However, the DF/RJ QB controversy may be what we end up with if Fitzy has the not abnormal problems and WGR, Sully and a small but vocal part of the fanbase starts whining we wasted the #3 on a non-contributor and simply short circuit intelligent development.

3. Even worse overall, not only are we gonna push draft acquisition of a needed OL talent back by a round if we waste the #3 on a QB, but we also push by a round of talent acquiring the two players we need to make our D adequate. The chances of Fitz running into trouble because we are losing and then the rookie QB fighting not only behind a line where he has to learn running for his life but he always behind as our D gets shredded like last year since we are not going to commit the #3 to a stud defender.

I hope they are shopping the #2 and this means they want one of the QBs because if Gabbert and Newton go 1-2 it will be a happy day for this Bills fan!