Big Reason for Streak

JohninMinn.

So far from what I have seen this is what makes Magehee great

- Never say die attitude

- Not just the speed but also the PATIENCE to allow things to develop in front of him

- The common sense to know whey they aren't going to and plow ahead for positive yards

- He is really economical...it seems to me that he squeezes every possible yard out of a run......given his current physical status.  Next year I expect him to squeeze out much more when he gets his burst back

- He is very good for a rookie pass protector

- He can catch....and makes the most out of screen plays

Did I miss anything?

161896[/snapback]

Yes! :lol:

Willis takes good care of the football. Very rarely does he fumble.

I would love for someone to prove to me why this is true...

161891[/snapback]

Travis himself proved that this is true each time he started a game this season, stunk up the football field, and lost games for the Buffalo Bills. I dont have the time nor the energy, but I welcome you to look up the sack stats with and without Travis Henry this season.

Imo, the other posters are being kind. He is NOT a quality running back. He is a good runner because he is strong, although he lacks speed. That is all he could ever do. This season, he could not even accomplish this, as he was busy sliding on his ass on crucial plays.

Wait and see. He will bring no more than a 5th round pick, and will possibly be released outright. If this happens, it will still be the Bills' gain. I would rather have a million in cap space than an easily replaceable Travis Henry.

It is not a hard choice at all.

Travis himself proved that this is true each time he started a game this season, stunk up the football field, and lost games for the Buffalo Bills. I dont have the time nor the energy, but I welcome you to look up the sack stats with and without Travis Henry this season.

Imo, the other posters are being kind. He is NOT a quality running back. He is a good runner because he is strong, although he lacks speed. That is all he could ever do. This season, he could not even accomplish this, as he was busy sliding on his ass on crucial plays.

Wait and see. He will bring no more than a 5th round pick, and will possibly be released outright. If this happens, it will still be the Bills' gain. I would rather have a million in cap space than an easily replaceable Travis Henry.

162112[/snapback]

Actually its a lot more complicated than you depict it as being an an examination of the individual games shows it.

1. The best evidence of the theme which started this thread of good blitz pick-up by the RBs being the key to the winning streak is not so much a straightforward assessment that WM can d it and Travis can't but actually its that WM also struggled in blitz pick-up early in the season during our 1-4 start when we were losing and an increase in his ability to do this job coincided with the streak and him gaining yardage as well. However, my sense is that actually the imporvement in WM;s nliyz pick-up ability and us winning did coincide but there is little cause and effect here.

2. Henry's best running performance as when he almost put up 100 (98 yards I think in 20 or so carries) against the Pats, but his performance was not central for the most part to the game performance of the team instead of W/L. If his bad play is so critical then when he plays well it should show up in some way.

3. Its good you mention crucial plays because reasonable analysis ad explanation of the game results should include some description of the timing of critical plays. For example, in the above mentioned NE game, we hung with them pretty well for over three quarters and then things fell apart with a critical turnover returned for a TD by Seymour. It was Bledsoe's fumb;e but if you want to find fault with TH then he appeared to run the wromg way on the handoff which coincided with the funble but this will never appear on the stat sheet.

Tje key to the Bills getting the best trade value for Henry will be that potential trade partners will likely not assess his career by this season by his total career. From his Pro Bowl appearance for the 2002 season to a gutsy perfornmance where he gained almost 1300 yards despite playing through a fracture bone I think it is pretty clear that he does not suck as a player.

The key to him scoring a big payday and the Bills getting good value for him is whether he can play at all this year. If he plays and performs folks will be put at greater ease about injury and his downturn this year will likely be attributed to him going into a bit of a funk as it was clear that WM was going to be the man here.

I would think anyone who wants the Bills to do well from dumping him would root for this to occur.

It clearly can if his play returns to the form which saw him put u[ yardage numbers near or above 1300 yards as a runner, sawhim catch over 40 passes in 2002 and saw him do an adequate job on blitz pick-up based on what I observed the last two years.

Actually its a lot more complicated than you depict it as being an an examination of the individual games shows it.

1. The best evidence of the theme which started this thread of good blitz pick-up by the RBs being the key to the winning streak is not so much a straightforward assessment that WM can d it and Travis can't but actually its that WM also struggled in blitz pick-up early in the season during our 1-4 start when we were losing and an increase in his ability to do this job coincided with the streak and him gaining yardage as well.  However, my sense is that actually the imporvement in WM;s nliyz pick-up ability and us winning did coincide but there is little cause and effect here.

2. Henry's best running performance as when he almost put up 100 (98 yards I think in 20 or so carries) against the Pats, but his performance was not central for the most part to the game performance of the team instead of W/L.  If his bad play is so critical then when he plays well it should show up in some way.

3.  Its good you mention crucial plays because reasonable analysis ad explanation of the game results should include some description of the timing of critical plays.  For example, in the above mentioned NE game, we hung with them pretty well for over three quarters and then things fell apart with a critical turnover returned for a TD by Seymour.  It was Bledsoe's fumb;e but if you want to find fault with TH then he appeared to run the wromg way on the handoff which coincided with the funble but this will never appear on the stat sheet.

Tje key to the Bills getting the best trade value for Henry will be that potential trade partners will likely not assess his career by this season by his total career.  From his Pro Bowl appearance for the 2002 season to a gutsy perfornmance where he gained almost 1300 yards despite playing through a fracture bone I think it is pretty clear that he does not suck as a player.

The key to him scoring a big payday and the Bills getting good value for him is whether he can play at all this year.  If he plays and performs folks will be put at greater ease about injury and his downturn this year will likely be attributed to him going into a bit of a funk as it was clear that WM was going to be the man here.

I would think anyone who wants the Bills to do well from dumping him would root for this to occur.

It clearly can if his play returns to the form which saw him put u[ yardage numbers near or above 1300 yards as a runner, sawhim catch over 40 passes in 2002 and saw him do an adequate job on blitz pick-up based on what I observed the last two years.

162218[/snapback]

FFS, thanks for the reply, but would you please address the following...

There are leigons of posters who point to the Bills record with Drew at qb and blame HIM. Would you agree? I invite you, and any other poster to compare the record of the Bills with and without Travis as the starting RB.

More amazing are the sack stats, which (no offense :lol: ), you failed to address. Since Willis was inserted as the starter, Drew has rarely been sacked, and we both know that he needs a ton of time as compared to many more agile qbs. Now, throw in falling down, running wrong pass routes and dropping passes....this after he did stop coughing the football up time after friggin time. It adds up to a mess imo.

When TD cut that garbage receiver that NE picked up, do you remember the outcry? What has HE done?

You started a great thread the other day about "eating crow." My view on Travis is not something that I want to be "right" about. I love the Bills and probably spend too much time and money in support of them, but this is what I do.

That said, I am as sure as an uninformed fan can be that Travis has very little value in terms of a trade. We shall see, and thanks for the dialogue.

I would love for someone to prove to me why this is true...

161891[/snapback]

Travis Henry - 5 starts, 23 sacks given up against Bledsoe

Willis McGahee- 8 starts, 9 sacks against Bledsoe

Tell me those numbers don't jump out at you. Now obviously Travis didn't give up a lot of those sacks, but I think it's a good indicator that Willis is doing a good job with his pass protection.

Tell me those numbers don't jump out at you.  Now obviously Travis didn't give up a lot of those sacks, but I think it's a good indicator that Willis is doing a good job with his pass protection.

162285[/snapback]

Goes to show you a simple thread can get legs with the help of the great football minds here on the wall. Thanks guys. :lol:

162112[/snapback]

You people are unbelievable, a guy has a good game and you're willing to go down on him but someone here says the guy sucks and everyone crucifies him even though he was the heart and soul of the team for the past few years. This place kills me.

Tell me those numbers don't jump out at you.  Now obviously Travis didn't give up a lot of those sacks, but I think it's a good indicator that Willis is doing a good job with his pass protection.

162285[/snapback]

How did the OL play the 1st 6 weeks and how have they been playing the

last 7 weeks...Don't put the blame on one single guy..... Remember who

was the starting 2nd WR in the 1st 5 games....it was Josh Reed....He kept

dropping pass after pass.....why doesn't he get any blame.....

TH had problems going into the season....He was caught looking in

the mirror to see if WM was running behind him...He got caught in

that pressure and could not force his way out...We all know where

TH deficiencies are....but give the guy a break...to put the whole

blame on him is ridiculous.

You people are unbelievable, a guy has a good game and you're willing to go down on him but someone here says the guy sucks and everyone crucifies him even though he was the heart and soul of the team for the past few years.  This place kills me.

162420[/snapback]

"Heart and Soul" of the football team? Tell me you are joking!

In 3 years, we were 3-13, 8-8, and 6-10, right? This year, we were on the way to oblivion until MM sat his ass on the bench. Am I mistaken?

BFII pointed out the dismal sack stats while Henry played. I do not slight BF at all. That was great work, but if HE can find stats like this, so can the worst GM in the NFL.

Travis ran well for two years. I never denied this. He also stunk up the football field in every other facet of playing football.

It might serve you to take off the rose colored glasses and look for a reason that the Bills are playing so well as of late.

Ridding ourselves us of Henry will be a loss of a second string back with a ton of limitations and a gain of approx. 1 million dollars of salary cap room.

Travis plays (played) with a lot of passion; and he had good straight-ahead running ability. But that's all he brought to the table. He's not a complete back like Marshall Faulk, and he's not big enough to be a truly punishing back like Jerome Bettis was in his prime. This said, the guy's got to be worth something in a trade. We really should have taken Miami up on their offer of a first round draft pick in exchange for him. Too late now.

you are correct, he is only part of it, but it seems WAAAAY too coincidental that almost instantaneous with his arrival came wins. Maybe it was coincidence that the line just started to gel the minute he was the starter. Maybe Lee Evans ate his Wheaties the morning that Willis started and hasn't looked back to Fruity Pebbles since. Maybe Bledsoe just all the sudden got good again. ... Maybe, and maybe if i play with it enough, it will grow to 12"....

161927[/snapback]

I'd almost factor in Milloy's return as a bigger impact than McGahee's....this D has dominated and caused turnovers once Milloy was back in the fold. Having Milloy back there enables our D to take more chances and it has resulted in more turnovers. The guy is all over the field and has been causing havoc the last 6 weeks. Causing turnovers = winning. If Milloy is in the starting lineup the entire season, we win 2 of those first 4 games. Everyone was wondering why we bothered with Milloy last year...look what the guy has done for this D with time to learn the D.