Poll on whether Fitz is the right guy or not

Can We Win a Championship with Fitz at QB?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Can We Win a Championship with Fitz at QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if the Defense is Dominating

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ryan Fitzpatrick we saw last year was not good enough to win in post season. He had a record of failure in crucial situations late in games that followed a familiar pattern. Tight game, 4th quarter, drives the team to the other side of the 50 but just outside field goal range. Deep throws are just off the mark (or dropped or fumbled) and the one critical first down never comes. This was NE1, Bal, KC, Chi, Pitt that I remember. This is also how I remember the late game failures of Jim Kelly's 1986 season so this trend of failure does not have to be career defining.

The Ryan Fitzpatrcik of 2011 will get every advantage to be better. If a commitment is made to overhaul the defense then he could really shine. He has the smarts to learn from his mistakes and a pressure beating package of quick read and quick release to mask the protection problems he has faced and still allow the offense to function. He has reached the point in his career when many other QB's have had their careers take off and 2010 may have been the first sign of it happening for him. When this question is asked next year there will much more evidence with which to derive an answer.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

So are you saying that if you put Fitz on Pitt last year, that Pitt still makes the SB and then instead beats GB? Are you saying that if put Fitz on Balt that now Balt advances to the SB and also beats GB? Are you saying that if you put Fitz on the Jets that now the Jets beat Pitt and then go on to beat GB?

What about GB? Do they still beat Phi and everyone to advance to SB? And do they win that game against Pitt if you take away Rodgers and add in Fitz? I mean it took everything Rodgers had to beat Pitt in that game, so you think Fitz puts up the same performance?

PS: Still waiting for someone to answer the question I asked in the post on the top of this very page.

Remember the Steelers didn't have Big Ben for the first 4 games last year. They won with a backup QB, strong running game, dominate D. So yes Fitz in that situation could have lead them to the playoffs.

Don't think anybody beats Green Bay the way Rodgers was playing.

But my point is a fierce D will get you deep into the playoffs as long as the QB can manage the Offense and moves the chains. Fitz can certainly do that.

Ofcourse Fitz is not as good as Rodgers. But he had Pittsburg beat last year if Stevie catches that pass. :)

Remember the Steelers didn't have Big Ben for the first 4 games last year. They won with a backup QB, strong running game, dominate D. So yes Fitz in that situation could have lead them to the playoffs.

But my point is a fierce D will get you deep into the playoffs as long as the QB can manage the Offense and moves the chains. Fitz can certainly do that.

Ofcourse Fitz is not as good as Rodgers. But he had Pittsburg beat last year if Stevie catches that pass. :)

You make valid points about Fitz. He is certainly a good quarterback. The problem the way I see it is that he needs a much better surrounding cast to succeed, and the Bills tend to be as bad as it could possibly get when drafting players.

But, this is the time of year where there is hope.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Would the Steelers or GB have won the superbowl with Fitz at QB? I doubt it.

I also doubt the Steelers would have been in the Super Bowl without Big Ben.

Getting into the playoffs and winning the SB are very different things - the question was about winning the championship.

Those wins came at the beginning of the Regular Season...Playoff Football is a whole different level...Maybe a level and a half by the time you get to the Championship Game...I know Fitz played well at Baltimore in his 1st start after the bye...But IMHO no way Fitz wins 2 Playoff Games vs. Baltimore and the Jets if he's QBing that Pittsburgh Team...Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see it... B-)

All but the first one are accurate statements about last season. Fitz had the majority of the season with starter reps. That should have been enough, particularly by the end of the season. And in fact as far as the last one goes I'd say you are being very generous when you say the OLine gave him mediocre pass protection.

But there were many times, including critical situations, that he got decent protection, the receiver was open etc. etc. and he flat out missed the opportunity because his accuracy is just not quite good enough to be a significant QB at this level. That's just the harsh reality of the situation. You don't like that, and that is fine. In fact based on the current poll results I'd say there are many who feel the same way you do. But listing excuses while ignoring the basic fact seems ill conceived. In my opinion anyway.

So you can state with 100% certainty that the receiver ran the perfect route and it was all Fitz's mistakes...

Look at the surrounding cast of players around the guy, look at how the other 2 QB's played with the same surrounding cast (Edwards & Brohm). Last years Bills team almost beat the SB runner up Pittsburgh Steeler's, in Buffalo, in OT! Almost beat playoff teams Chiefs-Ravens on the road in OT, must have been because of that stifling Buffalo defense or the dominating running game the Bills posses...but then perhaps it was the brilliant play of all those pro bowl receivers the Bills have....

Parish gone, Lee Evans hurt and out part of the season, RT walk-ons off the street, no TE, and a nobody receiver comes off the bench to get 1000+ yards receiving, 10 TD's last season...to bad this same kid drops the TD pass in the end zone that would have won the game for Buffalo against the Steeler's in OT.

Fitz threw for 3000 yards last season and only played in 13 games, 23 TD's 15 INT's on one of the worst Buffalo Bills teams I've ever seen, no running game, no TE, one good receiver, a bad O line that never did find a decent RT to solidify the line, along with one of the worst defense's in Buffalo Bills history. Everyone should stop scrutinizing the QB play, and start looking at other areas to complain about. When was the last time a Bills QB threw for 3000 yards, on a team as bad as last years was.

I'd say the guy played well enough last season to deserve an honest shot to become this years Buffalo Bills starting QB, and not some rookie, I just hope this coaching staff / GM gives this guy a proper supporting cast around him to help him succeed

Edited by Harvey lives

The Ryan Fitzpatrick we saw last year was not good enough to win in post season. He had a record of failure in crucial situations late in games that followed a familiar pattern. Tight game, 4th quarter, drives the team to the other side of the 50 but just outside field goal range. Deep throws are just off the mark (or dropped or fumbled) and the one critical first down never comes. This was NE1, Bal, KC, Chi, Pitt that I remember. This is also how I remember the late game failures of Jim Kelly's 1986 season so this trend of failure does not have to be career defining.

The Ryan Fitzpatrcik of 2011 will get every advantage to be better. If a commitment is made to overhaul the defense then he could really shine. He has the smarts to learn from his mistakes and a pressure beating package of quick read and quick release to mask the protection problems he has faced and still allow the offense to function. He has reached the point in his career when many other QB's have had their careers take off and 2010 may have been the first sign of it happening for him. When this question is asked next year there will much more evidence with which to derive an answer.

When you are only good enough to win 4 games in the regular season it really doesn't matter that you aren't good enough to win in the Postseason, because you will never get close to playing after the 16th game.

I do think Fitz played well last year, with a bad supporting cast. I think a lot of it has to do with Chan though. He's made Kordell Stewart into an MVP candidate (hard to believe, but he got votes), made the super bowl with Neil odonnell ( yes the defense was the key, but odonnell made a pro bowl), made the playoffs constantly with jay fielder, made Tyler Thigpen a top fantasy qb (I know it's just fantasy, but he put up great numbers) and now Fitz. He has the ability to get the most out of his QBs. Imagine what he could do with a really talented QB? He's never really had one, minus airman at the end of his career. While I give props to Fitz because he earned it, I give more props to Chan. Disagree if you want, but his track record with below average QBs is great.

You make valid points about Fitz. He is certainly a good quarterback. The problem the way I see it is that he needs a much better surrounding cast to succeed, and the Bills tend to be as bad as it could possibly get when drafting players.

But, this is the time of year where there is hope.

Like to point out that he did good behind a average line that needs a RT badly and Buddy said that they need a RT.

If they manage to upgrade the line somehow the running game will get better, which will help Fitz get better. How many times did Freddy get hit behind the line of last year? To many to count.

I see more upside in Fitz with Gailey coaching him. Therefore its a must the bills upgrade the D more than they need a QB at this point.

could see them address the Oline in the second round or 3rd.

I do think Fitz played well last year, with a bad supporting cast. I think a lot of it has to do with Chan though. He's made Kordell Stewart into an MVP candidate (hard to believe, but he got votes), made the super bowl with Neil odonnell ( yes the defense was the key, but odonnell made a pro bowl), made the playoffs constantly with jay fielder, made Tyler Thigpen a top fantasy qb (I know it's just fantasy, but he put up great numbers) and now Fitz. He has the ability to get the most out of his QBs. Imagine what he could do with a really talented QB? He's never really had one, minus airman at the end of his career. While I give props to Fitz because he earned it, I give more props to Chan. Disagree if you want, but his track record with below average QBs is great.

Totally agree with this point...And it makes me wonder what Chan and Buddy discuss on this very subject...I'd LOVE to hear the conversations...Because you know Chan wants a top guy who can do it all...What Offensive Coach of his caliber wouldn't? Granted he's the HC...But does anyone think he's not trying to sell the heck out of a Top QB Prospect ASSUMING he likes the guy a ton?

So you can state with 100% certainty that the receiver ran the perfect route and it was all Fitz's mistakes...

Look at the surrounding cast of players around the guy, look at how the other 2 QB's played with the same surrounding cast (Edwards & Brohm). Last years Bills team almost beat the SB runner up Pittsburgh Steeler's, in Buffalo, in OT! Almost beat playoff teams Chiefs-Ravens on the road in OT, must have been because of that stifling Buffalo defense or the dominating running game the Bills posses...but then perhaps it was the brilliant play of all those pro bowl receivers the Bills have....

Parish gone, Lee Evans hurt and out part of the season, RT walk-ons off the street, no TE, and a nobody receiver comes off the bench to get 1000+ yards receiving, 10 TD's last season...to bad this same kid drops the TD pass in the end zone that would have won the game for Buffalo against the Steeler's in OT.

Fitz threw for 3000 yards last season and only played in 13 games, 23 TD's 15 INT's on one of the worst Buffalo Bills teams I've ever seen, no running game, no TE, one good receiver, a bad O line that never did find a decent RT to solidify the line, along with one of the worst defense's in Buffalo Bills history. Everyone should stop scrutinizing the QB play, and start looking at other areas to complain about. When was the last time a Bills QB threw for 3000 yards, on a team as bad as last years was.

I'd say the guy played well enough last season to deserve an honest shot to become this years Buffalo Bills starting QB, and not some rookie, I just hope this coaching staff / GM gives this guy a proper supporting cast around him to help him succeed

This.....

Except I didn't think our running game was horrible....it just wasn't dominate. Agree with absolutely everything else.

Look guys....Fitzpatrick isnt perfect.....he is not Payton or Tom or Drew or Ben. What he IS a legit NFL starting quarterback.....he isn't a guy that is gonna win games by himself....but if he has some other playmaking guys on the team he is NOT the guy thats gonna let you down.

All I needed to see was watch Brian Brohm come into the game late in the season and watch that offense just flat out fall apart

Give Fitz a better Right Tackle, a legit Tight End, sprinkle in some Marcus Easley and lets see what happens