Paul Ryan

Saw Paul Ryan making the rounds lately and hes very impressive. He knows the material COLD and has an actual plan to tackle the deficit & spending problems. He created it with good people in a bi-partisan fashion and he has the courage to go after sacred cows like entitlements and tax deductions so many hold dear. He also realistic enough to see there will need to be compromise on many of his points. Hes approaching this calmy and rationally.

I applaud him.

Gonna be a damned shame when his plan is politicized and demagogued into submission.

Edited by RkFast

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Paul Ryan making the rounds lately and hes very impressive. He knows the material COLD and has an actual plan to tackle the deficit & spending problems. He created it with good people in a bi-partisan fashion and he has the courage to go after sacred cows like entitlements and tax deductions so many hold dear. He also realistic enough to see there will need to be compromise on many of his points. Hes approaching this calmy and rationally.

I applaud him.

Gonna be a damned shame when his plan is politicized and demagogued into submission.

Interesting how he and Walker are both from Wisconsin. With Madison as liberal as it is, wouldn't have seen this being the origin of movements for fiscal sanity.

I would have to rate him the most serious politician when it comes to tackling the national debt. He has the balls to have that grown up conversation regarding the third rail of politics.

Unfortunately there are the goofballs such as Van Hollen who within minutes came out and said something along the lines of "Paul Ryan's budget plan would dismantle Medicare and leave hundreds of thousands of elderly people without healthcare"

I'm serious, thats what he said. These guys are a joke, I fully expect this to be the major debate going into the 2012 elections. We'll see who is serious about tackling the long-term budget woes this country faces over the next couple years.

At least we know that Paul Ryan is, now we'll find out if those who call themselves "conservatives" are real conservatives. In regards to the libs, we know where they stand.

They still made this a political mess. Cut 6 trillion but not one dollar from the military? How stupid and politically motivated is that? IT would be nice if he gored his base a little in trying to solve this problem.

BTW, while I'm all for simplifying the tax code, I have a hard time believing you can substantially cut the deficit while at the same time grossly lowering taxes.

But at least we're having the dialogue. Not a snowball's chance in hell this thing passes in anything like the proposed form. He fired the first salvo. Let's see what the Dems pitch back. If both sides are fighting about how to cut government, we'll be heading the right direction.

Keep fighting the good fight Paul.

what are the odds he becomes a candidate for 2012?

A viable candidate? Zero point zero.

Hard to say he's not going after sacred cows if he's not calling for military cuts. Perhaps you meant to say 'liberal sacred cows'.

Spending cuts in Defense should be there as well, but touching the entitlements for politicians from both sides of the aisle is usually a big no no. So the fact that he's addressing this issue in a meaningful way speaks volumes about his character.

This role that Ryan is in is perfect for him at this stage of his career. He's actually now one of the most powerful men in this country.

They still made this a political mess. Cut 6 trillion but not one dollar from the military? How stupid and politically motivated is that? IT would be nice if he gored his base a little in trying to solve this problem.

BTW, while I'm all for simplifying the tax code, I have a hard time believing you can substantially cut the deficit while at the same time grossly lowering taxes.

But at least we're having the dialogue. Not a snowball's chance in hell this thing passes in anything like the proposed form. He fired the first salvo. Let's see what the Dems pitch back. If both sides are fighting about how to cut government, we'll be heading the right direction.

A viable candidate? Zero point zero.

And it's not "grossly lowering taxes" Go back and reread it Peace. Here's a hint for ya, one word

Broadening

ok, now go and figure it out.

Spending cuts in Defense should be there as well, but touching the entitlements for politicians from both sides of the aisle is usually a big no no. So the fact that he's addressing this issue in a meaningful way speaks volumes about his character.

Yes they should - at least if this guy wants to be seen as anything but a typical anti-liberal shill. I think it speaks volumes about how politically-motivated this really is.

Yes they should - at least if this guy wants to be seen as anything but a typical anti-liberal shill. I think it speaks volumes about how politically-motivated this really is.

Again, you're missing the fact that he is addressing the entitlements. No one does this, but he did.

Again, you're missing the fact that he is addressing the entitlements. No one does this, but he did.

Is it even politically feasible? It's a nice political gesture to be sure, especially if you're trying to make a name for yourself. Pie-in-the-sky, if you will.

Is it even politically feasible? It's a nice political gesture to be sure, especially if you're trying to make a name for yourself. Pie-in-the-sky, if you will.

We'll see if leadership follows him, I would imagine that they are or else he wouldnt of presented it in his budget. If leadership follows through, then this will be THE major battle heading into the 2012 elections.

The Dems will demagogue the conservatives as the party of the uncompassionate who dont care about peoples healthcare and bla bla bla, and of course that will win over the votes of mindless meat puppets and the Repubs will paint the libs as the party of the drunken spending sailors.

We'll see who presents the best argument over the bext year and a half.

From what I understand the plan calls for $80 Billion in cuts at the Pentagon. So this is indeed a serious plan.

And Peace...it works like this....lower taxes = more private sector spending = more private sector jobs = better economy = more tax revenue for the gubmint. 20 people giving $5 each is better than 10 people giving $8 each.

Edited by RkFast

The Dems will demagogue the conservatives as the party of the uncompassionate who dont care about peoples healthcare and bla bla bla,

Gee, that's not like the Dems at all. Why, just this morning Nancy Pelosi tweeted her support right here.

Hey Stretch, you haggard bag of botox gone bad, you had years to do something. You did nothing. Hell, you couldn't even do the most rudimentary thing of passing a budget.

Someone comes up with a plan to cut the deficit, and you respond with a childish tweet?

Jesus. No wonder you're a backbencher these days.

And Peace...it works like this....lower taxes = more private sector spending = more private sector jobs = better economy = more tax revenue for the gubmint. 20 people giving $5 each is better than 10 people giving $8 each.

I get trickle down. But it's not a realistic plan from a "let's get this done" perspective to drop taxes 10% into the face of this huge deficit.

I get trickle down. But it's not a realistic plan from a "let's get this done" perspective to drop taxes 10% into the face of this huge deficit.

Its dropping taxes....not revenue. Whats lost will be made up by closing loopholes and simplying the tax code.

Edited by RkFast

you still don't understand what's in it.

You ninny: I read the plan.

If you think that lowering the tax rate by 10% to the highest earners and corporate tax rate is going to advance this bill, you're higher than you already appear. And by the way, I'll happily accept the 10%, both for my business and myself.

And if you and Rkfast, think that lowering taxes (and it is NOT a broadening...read his plan FFS--he provides NO specifics) will fix the deficit, then maybe you also believe that enacting Obamacare will cut spending.

Edited by Peace

If you think that lowering the tax rate by 10% to the highest earners and corporate tax rate is going to advance this bill, you're higher than you already appear. And by the way, I'll happily accept the 10%, both for my business and myself.

And if you and Rkfast, think that lowering taxes (and it is NOT a broadening...read his plan FFS--he provides NO specifics) will fix the deficit, then maybe you also believe that enacting Obamacare will cut spending.

And if youre going to continue harping on the tax cut without acknowleding that there is material in the plan to make up the difference in total revenue, then...welll.......youre just being pbills about this.

And I NEVER said his plan was perfect or even a viable solution. You think Im NOT nervous about the idea of losing my home mortgage interest deduction?

I ONLY said I admired Ryan's courage and maturity in trying to fix what ails the Country.

IUnfortunately there are the goofballs such as Van Hollen who within minutes came out and said something along the lines of "Paul Ryan's budget plan would dismantle Medicare and leave hundreds of thousands of elderly people without healthcare"

How is this surprising? Just following the example of Chuck Schumer --- take everything to the extreme.

Cutting the corporate tax rate will bring businesses back inside U.S. borders. Did you watch Leslie STahl's piece on "60 Minutes" a couple of weeks ago? All the "corporate headquarters" front offices in Switzerland so they can get the 16% rate.

So by having such a large corporate tax, the federal govt gets 30% of ZERO rather than, say, 22% of BILLION$. As the guy said, they would rather their headquarters be located here --- and it's not like companies are asking the U.S. to drop it to the lowest corporate rate in the world. They're not asking that. They're asking for some marginal relief, and until they get it, they'll stay in Switzerland.