Goodell On Drug Testing

Link

I dont know where I stand on roids in sports. You can flame me all you want, but I doubt im the only one who wants to see 7ft 400lb giants flying around the field. Regardless in the article Goodell makes a claim that their is already a strong testing program in place. I call BS! You would have to be naive to think these guys are being tested with any kind of frequency. With 32 teams and 53 man rosters, common sense tells me these guys should be popping up for all sorts of things. Best example, weed stays in your system up to 30 days. How often do you read about a guy get popped for weed or any other easy to detect rec drugs? Things come to mind such as; athletes are told when the tests will be, it cant be more than once per year, and I would bet collection of urine samples are not supervised. Just my opinion. GO BILLS!!!!

There was an article in a very reputable sports magazine, I don't remember which one, where a former player basically laid out that you would have to be a complete idiot to get caught.

I can't find the article but there are basically 2-30 day periods in the year when you can be picked to be randomly tested and you can plan your HGH cycles around that. There is a notification and reminder by the NFLPA 90, 60, and 30 days before the random testing periods. The player seemed to have the attitude that none of the players have sympathy for anyone that gets caught because the NFL and NFLPA do everything they can to make sure everyone is prepared for the testing period.

There was an article in a very reputable sports magazine, I don't remember which one, where a former player basically laid out that you would have to be a complete idiot to get caught.

I can't find the article but there are basically 2-30 day periods in the year when you can be picked to be randomly tested and you can plan your HGH cycles around that. There is a notification and reminder by the NFLPA 90, 60, and 30 days before the random testing periods. The player seemed to have the attitude that none of the players have sympathy for anyone that gets caught because the NFL and NFLPA do everything they can to make sure everyone is prepared for the testing period.

Yes, the NFLPA is strongly against drug testing...wait, these guys are concerned about the players, right?

Wrong. 10 players per team per week are randomly tested for PEDs. There is no 90, 60 or 30 day warning. There is not supposed to be any warning, but it seems teams will notify a player a day before sometimes, to make sure he shows up.

There is no need to "plan your HGH cycles" around testing--the NFL doesn't test for it. The NFLPA is against testing for it.

The "former player" was talking about beating random testing for illlicit drugs--he specifically contrasted this to the PED testing. Testing for illicit drugs happens once a year.

I had a friend who played on an NFL team for 8 seasons and he was a starting offensive lineman (mid 80's early 90's). He told me directly that he was on steroids and had been taking them since his senior year in high school. He gained 100lbs from the time he was a senior in high school to the time he was drafted. He said that the vast majority of players at that time were juicing on his NFL team. He said that his supplier would tell him when to get off so that he would pass his test. He mentioned some other ways to get around it but I can't remember all the details from our conversation many years ago. I do remember him also saying that you didn't get randomly tested until you have been busted previously. Things might be different now but he said he had to keep up with the jone's back then because so many players in the league were jacked up.

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

Yes, the NFLPA is strongly against drug testing...wait, these guys are concerned about the players, right?

As long as they are keeping them employed and making them money. Yes, they are very concerned about the players.

That is a nice little contradiction that I've never put together though.

Wrong. 10 players per team per week are randomly tested for PEDs. There is no 90, 60 or 30 day warning. There is not supposed to be any warning, but it seems teams will notify a player a day before sometimes, to make sure he shows up.

There is no need to "plan your HGH cycles" around testing--the NFL doesn't test for it. The NFLPA is against testing for it.

The "former player" was talking about beating random testing for illlicit drugs--he specifically contrasted this to the PED testing. Testing for illicit drugs happens once a year.

You're right it was illicit drugs, thats why I couldn't find the article.

The player essential said there are about 60 days in the year where you can't smoke weed and if you smoke during those 60 days you have some major problems.

So if HGH isn't tested why would anyone do steroids?

HGH is better anyways. I mean obviously if it's not abused.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The player essential said there are about 60 days in the year where you can't smoke weed and if you smoke during those 60 days you have some major problems.

I would think HGH is what most guys are now on. I know that a lot of these guys are loaded and money is no issue but the main knock on HGH over steroids is that HGH is a lot more expensive. HGH helps you stay more lean, aides in strength and helps you to heal from injury's quicker. Steroids gives you a quicker turn around when it comes to bulking up and getting strong.

HGH and anabolic steroids are used for different things. The results/benefits or steoids are far more obvious than those of HGH. Other than the injured, most of the guys on HGH are likely wasting their money.

HGH and anabolic steroids are used for different things. The results/benefits or steoids are far more obvious than those of HGH. Other than the injured, most of the guys on HGH are likely wasting their money.

Do you mean wasting their money because they're buying stuff that isn't HGH?

Aren't you a medical professional of some sort?

The Mayo Clinic seems to give HGH a glowing review. Especially if you're already a gifted athlete.

This stuff sounds exactly want you want in a magic pill:

injections of human growth hormone can:

Increase bone density

Increase muscle mass

Decrease body fat

Increase exercise capacity

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/growth-hormone/HA00030

I;m just curious why you would say they're wasting their money.

Do you mean wasting their money because they're buying stuff that isn't HGH?

Aren't you a medical professional of some sort?

The Mayo Clinic seems to give HGH a glowing review. Especially if you're already a gifted athlete.

This stuff sounds exactly want you want in a magic pill:

injections of human growth hormone can:

Increase bone density

Increase muscle mass

Decrease body fat

Increase exercise capacity

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/growth-hormone/HA00030

I;m just curious why you would say they're wasting their money.

Actually, this is what the article you cited says:

For adults who have a growth hormone deficiency, injections of human growth hormone can:

Increase bone density Increase muscle mass Decrease body fat Increase exercise capacity Human growth hormone is also approved to treat AIDS- or HIV-related muscle wasting.

What can human growth hormone do for otherwise healthy adults?

Studies of healthy adults taking human growth hormone are limited. Although it appears that human growth hormone injections can increase muscle mass and reduce the amount of body fat in healthy older adults, the increase in muscle doesn't translate into increased strength. It isn't clear if human growth hormone may provide other benefits to healthy adults.

You left out this part also:

Human growth hormone may cause a number of side effects for healthy adults, including:

Carpal tunnel syndrome Swelling in the arms and legs Joint pain Muscle pain For men, enlargement of breast tissue (gynecomastia) Human growth hormone may also contribute to conditions such as diabetes and heart disease.

My reading is that the MAyo clinic doesn't support the use by healthy individuals. You, as we have seen above, read it differently--or not at all, it seems.

Actually, this is what the article you cited says:

You left out this part also:

My reading is that the MAyo clinic doesn't support the use by healthy individuals. You, as we have seen above, read it differently--or not at all, it seems.

Its like saying adding more horsepower isn't proven to make your car go faster.

I'm reading between the lines.

Its like saying adding more horsepower isn't proven to making your car go faster.

I'm reading between the lines.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. You must really be squinting.

Let's summarize:

A former football player didn't actually say that it's easy to beat PED testing.

The Mayo Clinic gave the opposite of a "glowing review" for HGH--"especially if you are a gifted athlete".

You need an editor, man.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. You must really be squinting.

Let's summarize:

A former football player didn't actually say that it's easy to beat PED testing.

The Mayo Clinic gave the opposite of a "glowing review" for HGH--"especially if you are a gifted athlete".

You need an editor, man.

Yeah I'm totally crazy to think HGH would improve athletic performance of athletics, its completely ridiculous statement.

Its not like the IOC and many international sporting bodies test for the stuff.

:doh:

Yeah I'm totally crazy to think HGH would improve athletic performance of athletics, its completely ridiculous statement.

Its not like the IOC and many international sporting bodies test for the stuff.

:doh:

I'm not saying it doesn't privide an advantage to some. I'm saying most guys take it thinking it will do something for them, whetehr it does or not.

I'm also pointing out that your arguments are destroyed by your own research.

I'm not saying it doesn't privide an advantage to some. I'm saying most guys take it thinking it will do something for them, whetehr it does or not.

I'm also pointing out that your arguments are destroyed by your own research.

In your mind that may be true.