Grocery prices

I used to shop almost exclusively at the Tops closest to me, (Elmwood) in part because it's within walking distance. For a variety of reasons I've started also shopping at Wegmans-Alberta Dr. once or twice a week.

A pattern I've noticed, which I wasn't expecting: Wegmans has lower prices on quite a few items, in particular relatively high volume items. Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, Franks - all at least 20 or 30 cents less at Wegmans. Hamburger - about 50 cents a pound more at Tops. Perry's/Breyers Ice Cream - used to be $4.49 at Wegmans, $4.99 at Tops. But Tops just raised their prices to $5.49/$5.29.

It seems like the only things that are less at Tops are what's on sale. Anybody else notice this?

I used to shop almost exclusively at the Tops closest to me, (Elmwood) in part because it's within walking distance. For a variety of reasons I've started also shopping at Wegmans-Alberta Dr. once or twice a week.

A pattern I've noticed, which I wasn't expecting: Wegmans has lower prices on quite a few items, in particular relatively high volume items. Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, Franks - all at least 20 or 30 cents less at Wegmans. Hamburger - about 50 cents a pound more at Tops. Perry's/Breyers Ice Cream - used to be $4.49 at Wegmans, $4.99 at Tops. But Tops just raised their prices to $5.49/$5.29.

It seems like the only things that are less at Tops are what's on sale. Anybody else notice this?

I've found that if i go with wegman's store brand food (which is usually pretty good by the way), I can save money over Tops.

It's weird, I almost never check the prices of what I buy. I shop convenience not price. Now I used to shop at Wholefoods when I first moved to SF but stopped because it was expensive. How did I know it was more expensive? Well I just looked at the bottom line but never at individual prices.

My wifes uncle is in upper management for Tops and I had this discussion with him at one point. Wegmans model is lower everyday prices so if you don't want to shop the sales then you're better of there. Tops generally has higher prices, but they have great sales where you can really save. Tops makes up for it by drawing you in with the sales banking that you'll buy a few other items while you're there. All depends on how much time you want to spend shopping. I prefer Wegmans because I don't want to worry about price, just get me in and out.

My wifes uncle is in upper management for Tops and I had this discussion with him at one point. Wegmans model is lower everyday prices so if you don't want to shop the sales then you're better of there. Tops generally has higher prices, but they have great sales where you can really save. Tops makes up for it by drawing you in with the sales banking that you'll buy a few other items while you're there. All depends on how much time you want to spend shopping. I prefer Wegmans because I don't want to worry about price, just get me in and out.

Exactly. Wegmans using an everyday low price strategy and Tops uses a "High/Low" strategy where most grocery items are priced at MSRP and then certain items are deeply discounted.

Wegmans tries to draw you in with the lower grocery prices and tries to sell a higher mix of the perimeter departments (produce, bakery, prepared foods, floral, etc) where margins are higher. For example, gross margins may vary from 18% in grocery to 65% in the bakery.