April Movies: Fast Five, Scream 4, Your Highness, and

Mark Vader

Before the God of Thunder lands on Earth; before a group of kids discover something mysterious from a train wreck; before Jack Sparrow faces Blackbeard; before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr begin to discover their powers; before Hal Jordan discovers a ring from outer space; before Lightning McQueen goes international; before we get a second hangover; before Steve Rogers takes on Johann Schmidt; before Po and the Furious Five take on a new villain; before a group of Apaches & Westerners face an invasion from outer space; before Shockwave enters the war of the robots in disguise; and before the boy wizard prepares for his final confrontation against he who shall not be named, the month of April gives us the final offerings of this year's Spring Season. While movie patrons, fanboys and the movie studios themselves get ready for the gargantuan Summer Season to start, which promises big titles, superheroes, aliens and all kinds of explosions, Spring closes out with a few titles that they hope will bring plenty of excitement to tide over the masses. In fact this month continues two established franchises that should please many fans.

Universal Pictures gets an early jump on the Summer Season as they continue their Fast & Furious franchise with their latest entry, "Fast Five". A federal agent is dispatched to Rio de Janeiro, where former cop Brian O'Conner and ex-con Dom Toretto are assembling a final race as a desperate chance to gain their freedom. Vin Diesel & Paul Walker reunite as does Jordana Brewster from the original Fast & Furious, and Dwayne Johnson is added in to give this movie even more muscle. Universal is smart to get this movie out in time before the super expensive summer films of 2011, as there will be no direct competition at the box office for a franchise that has endured for 10 years. Also starring Tyrese Gibson.

In 1996 Dimension Films brought along a film that combined both horror & satire. The results were extremely profitable and brought a new face and wave to the horror genre, and also brought Neve Campbell to the forefront. Now, 11 years after the last film in the series, we now get "Scream 4". Ten years have passed, and Sidney Prescott, who has put herself back together thanks in part to the self-help book she authored, returns to Woodsboro on the last stop of her book tour. Reconnecting with her family and friends, her appearance also brings about the return of Ghostface. Starring Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courtney Cox, Emma Roberts, Hayden Panettiere, Rory Culkin, Kristen Bell & Anna Paquin.

Universal Pictures is also hoping to score with some laughs with "Your Highness", a fantasy-comedy about an arrogant, lazy prince who must complete a quest in order to save his father's kingdom. Starring Danny McBride, James Franco, Natalie Portman & Zooey Deschanel.

Summit Entertainment presents it's latest action film, "Source Code". An experimental government program sends soldier Colter Stevens back in time, where he wakes up in the body of a commuter who witnesses a train bombing. Presented with just 8 minutes to figure out who is responsible, his mission is further complicated by his feelings for a fellow passenger. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan & Vera Farmiga.

Russell Brand is a busy man this month. First, he headlines the remake, "Arthur". A drunken playboy stands to lose his inheritance when he falls for a woman his family doesn't like. Fans of the original film with Dudley Moore may have a hard time stomaching this one, but Helen Mirren's presence as a female Hobson might help. Also starring Jennifer Garner, Greta Gerwig & Nick Nolte.

Brand also lends his voice to Universal's animated/live action feature, "Hop". E.B., the Easter Bunny's teenage son, heads to Hollywood, determined to become a drummer in a rock 'n' roll band. In LA, he's taken in by Fred after the out-of-work slacker hits E.B. with his car. Also starring James Marsden, Kaley Cuoco, Hank Azaria, Elizabeth Perkins, Gary Cole & Hugh Laurie.

20th Century Fox releases it's animated film, "Rio". When Blu, a domesticated macaw from small-town Minnesota, meets the fiercely independent Jewel, he takes off on an adventure to Rio de Janeiro with this bird of his dreams. Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway & George Lopez.

A surprising sequel comes in the form of "Hoodwinked Too! Hood Vs. Evil". In their second adventure, Red Riding Hood (Panettiere) and the Wolf (Warburton) investigate the disappearance of Hansel and Gretel. Starring Hayden Panettiere, Glenn Close, Joan Cusack, Patrick Warburton, Martin Short, David Hader, Amy Poehler, Brad Garrett, Andy Dick, David Alan Grier & David Ogden Stiers.

Tyler Perry brings back Madea in, "Madea's Big Happy Family". Madea helps her niece Shirley rally her five preoccupied children so they can hear about their mother's health diagnosis. Starring Tyler Perry, Loretta Devine & Bow Wow.

In the thriller/drama "Hanna", A 16-year-old (Ronan) who was raised by her father (Bana) is dispatched on a mission across Europe, tracked by a ruthless intelligence agent (Blanchett) and her operatives. Starring Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana & Cate Blanchett.

In "Water For Elephants", Set during the Great Depression, veterinary student Jacob Jankowski abandons his studies after his parents are killed in a car accident. Taking up with a third-rate traveling circus, his bond with a difficult animal begins to turn the show around, though his feelings for the star performer prove dangerous since she's the wife of the sadistic ringmaster. Starring Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon & Christoph Waltz.

In "Soul Surfer", Based on a true story, young surfer Bethany Hamilton summons the courage to return to the ocean after losing an arm in a shark attack. Starring AnnaSophia Robb, Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt & Carrie Underwood.

In "Prom", Follow a group of high school students as they get ready for their prom. Starring Aimee Teegarden, Nicholas Braun & Christine Elise.

Finally, "Born to be Wild" is a documentary about orphaned orangutans and elephants and the people who rescue and raise them.

Calendar with trailers.

4/1

"Source Code": http://www.enterthesourcecode.com/

"Hop": http://www.universalpictures.com.au/movies/hop/

4/8

"Your Highness": http://www.yourhighnessmovie.net/

"Hanna": http://hannathemovie.com/

"Arthur": http://arthurthemovie.warnerbros.com/index.html

"Born to be Wild": http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1907398681/

"Soul Surfer": http://www.soulsurferthemovie.com/

4/15

"Scream 4": http://www.scream-4.com/

"Rio": http://www.rio-themovie.com/

4/22

"Water For Elephants": http://www.waterforelephants.com/'>http://www.waterforelephants.com/

"Madea's Big Happy Family": http://www.waterforelephants.com/

4/29

"Fast Five": http://www.fastfivemovie.com/

"Prom": http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/prom/#home

"Hoodwinked Too! Hood Vs. Evil": http://hoodwinkedtoomovie.com/

That's all for now. Independent Films will be posted later. Enjoy!

Another April movie in limited release (and unfortunately not here :():

Atlas Shrugged opens on the 15th

The trailer of this looked great.

Wasn't expecting that level of cinematography or acting. It has quite a cast --- better than I would've thought considering many in Hollywood wouldn't touch this with 20-foot pole.

Wonder how many theatres are actually going to show it.

Another April movie in limited release (and unfortunately not here :():

Atlas Shrugged opens on the 15th

I've seen the preview for this movie, and while it does look good, I think this movie will have a tough time at the box office, due to lack of starpower. Not to mention there is no major studio involved with it. Ever hear of "The Strike Productions"?

For a movie that is based on a popular story, I am surprised that there are no big names involved with it. I see mostly character actors, which is a good thing, still a big name would've helped.

Nevertheless, this could be "the movie that could."

I've seen the preview for this movie, and while it does look good, I think this movie will have a tough time at the box office, due to lack of starpower. Not to mention there is no major studio involved with it. Ever hear of "The Strike Productions"?

For a movie that is based on a popular story, I am surprised that there are no big names involved with it. I see mostly character actors, which is a good thing, still a big name would've helped.

I heard that this book was based on the cool game, Bioshock. :devil:

I'm sure that no major star would've even considered this. Too much chance that it becomes a political meme, like the book has, and that star will still have to find work in liberal Hollywood afterward. Maybe Tom Selleck, but he's not anything like a "movie star" these days --- pretty much typecast as a 'vet policeman who does things his own way.' As it stands, I don't think it's a bad cast. There's some up-and-coming names in there and something like this could put them in the limelight. Look at Jeremy Renner before "The Hurt Locker" or Bradley Cooper before "The Hangover." There's a couple of "LOST" vets in there, too!

There is a core bunch that will drive this movie along, at least in cult status, in the same vein as "V for Vendetta." BTW, this is part 1 of 2. That will definitely mean double- or triple-viewing for Rand devotees.

Just read an interesting article on the director of "Source Code". He's David Bowie's son!!

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1037-source-code-directors-surprising-parentage

He also was responsible for one of my favorite sci-fi films of all time, and one of my favorite films of the past couple years - "Moon".

It's been a good while since I saw a film on opening day, but I went to check out Source Code today. It was really good, but you have to really suspend your disbelief or you'll probably not care much for the ending. I was on board with the "science" for the most part, but when films sort of don't follow their own rules it can be an easy target for criticism. That said, it held my attention for the duration, the acting was solid, and I am a sucker for fun sci-fi/time travel type stuff. The ending took a few too many liberties, but it's worth a trip to the theater for sure. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark!!!!!!!!!

My Marine and Air Force pals will be most greatful!! ;)

Your welcome erynthered, and a big thanks to your Marine and Air Force friends who are serving this country.

I overlooked one movie that came out this past weekend, which I thought was going to have a limited release, so here it is.

In the thriller "Insidious", A family looks to prevent evil spirits from trapping their comatose child in a realm called The Further. Starring Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne & Ty Simpkins.

Trailer... http://www.insidious-movie.com/

He also was responsible for one of my favorite sci-fi films of all time, and one of my favorite films of the past couple years - "Moon".

It's been a good while since I saw a film on opening day, but I went to check out Source Code today. It was really good, but you have to really suspend your disbelief or you'll probably not care much for the ending. I was on board with the "science" for the most part, but when films sort of don't follow their own rules it can be an easy target for criticism. That said, it held my attention for the duration, the acting was solid, and I am a sucker for fun sci-fi/time travel type stuff. The ending took a few too many liberties, but it's worth a trip to the theater for sure. :thumbsup:

Agreed for the most part. I don't like Jake Gyllenhall as an actor. I don't know what it is --- too brooding, maybe. From "Proof" to "Love and Other Drugs." It's milder in "Source Code." Suspension of disbelief is a major necessity for this. I was a huge fan of how LOST handled time travel, and I'm loving "Doctor Who." "Source Code" tried to set a serious tone and the best the dude could come up with was (I'll go to yellow-font for possible spoiler discussion) how a light bulb has a faint glow right after you turn it off. That was so cheap. Stupid to suggest that apparently plugging into a victim's brain would lead to an interactive world that this person never saw in the first place. How could Seth have known about the white van? I'm sorry, but you can't get something from nothing. The more I think about the science behind it, the more it's a total sham. At least LOST was able to explain its time manipulations, even if it was mythology-heavy.

Not to mention its cop-out of the original timeline (and a violation of usual time travel "Whatever Happened, [always] Happened" rule) that led into its take on alternate realities, one in which Goodwin seems ready to do the honorable thing and keep their word while the characters apparently can live out their lives (whether real or not --- the precognitive flashes of the giant mirror ball would suggest to me that this 'reality' was a figment of Colter's brain), and one in which it appears Colter will continue serving his country as long as this program can keep his brain going.

Its ethical considerations are also highly questionable. Colter's body was being used post-'death' (or was it? his eyes and shoulders sure seemed active) without giving him a chance to communicate with his father, even if only through text messages? Forcing him to achieve this forgiveness through a questionable reality? Boo! Using body parts without expressed authorization? Not cool.

Edited by UConn James

James: Yeah, I tend to agree with what you wrote in your spoiler type...the more I think about it, the more it bothers me. It was a fun ride when it was all going down, but it doesn't hold up well in retrospect. Unlike Black Swan, which I saw recently....the more I contemplate that film the more I appreciate it. I know they are two totally different films, but I saw them both in the past week and they have resonated with me in completely different directions since the viewings.

Dev/null: Heck yeah...I've seen it three times now...absolutely loved it. Sam Rockwell is a very underrated actor. I'm really glad that he got that part :thumbsup:

James: Yeah, I tend to agree with what you wrote in your spoiler type...the more I think about it, the more it bothers me. It was a fun ride when it was all going down, but it doesn't hold up well in retrospect. Unlike Black Swan, which I saw recently....the more I contemplate that film the more I appreciate it. I know they are two totally different films, but I saw them both in the past week and they have resonated with me in completely different directions since the viewings.

Dev/null: Heck yeah...I've seen it three times now...absolutely loved it. Sam Rockwell is a very underrated actor. I'm really glad that he got that part :thumbsup:

Also, it borrowed from way too many movies / teevee series. "Avatar," "Quantum Leap," "Groundhog Day," "7 Days." It seriously lacked originality. And it probably would have been better if it had ended at... well, you know where.

The questions of Why is he doing this? / How is this happening? don't come to satisfactory answers here, no matter how one tries to justify it. For "Black Swan" these questions have very basic answers, laced b/w scenes of reality and mental conjure/disease.

I'll add "Moon" to my list.

Hey Mark -- where are your Indie picks? We saw WIN WIN last night and it gets a big thumbs up.

I will post the indie flicks soon. As for Win Win, I posted that in my March Movies post. I've heard good stuff about that film.

Agreed for the most part. I don't like Jake Gyllenhall as an actor. I don't know what it is --- too brooding, maybe. From "Proof" to "Love and Other Drugs." It's milder in "Source Code." Suspension of disbelief is a major necessity for this. I was a huge fan of how LOST handled time travel, and I'm loving "Doctor Who." "Source Code" tried to set a serious tone and the best the dude could come up with was (I'll go to yellow-font for possible spoiler discussion) how a light bulb has a faint glow right after you turn it off. That was so cheap. Stupid to suggest that apparently plugging into a victim's brain would lead to an interactive world that this person never saw in the first place. How could Seth have known about the white van? I'm sorry, but you can't get something from nothing. The more I think about the science behind it, the more it's a total sham. At least LOST was able to explain its time manipulations, even if it was mythology-heavy.

Not to mention its cop-out of the original timeline (and a violation of usual time travel "Whatever Happened, [always] Happened" rule) that led into its take on alternate realities, one in which Goodwin seems ready to do the honorable thing and keep their word while the characters apparently can live out their lives (whether real or not --- the precognitive flashes of the giant mirror ball would suggest to me that this 'reality' was a figment of Colter's brain), and one in which it appears Colter will continue serving his country as long as this program can keep his brain going.

Its ethical considerations are also highly questionable. Colter's body was being used post-'death' (or was it? his eyes and shoulders sure seemed active) without giving him a chance to communicate with his father, even if only through text messages? Forcing him to achieve this forgiveness through a questionable reality? Boo! Using body parts without expressed authorization? Not cool.

I saw it last night ... and I'm with you on most of it. I mean, the hole you point to was so glaring and so obvious to me from the beginning that I assumed it was going to be used to twist the story. Like, "there's no way they're telling Jake the truth". I kept guessing the train explosion either wasn't real or that wasn't really what they were after.

The science, from the character's perspective -- not in reality since hey, it's a movie -- was so silly. They want to stop an attack by using the memory of a victim. Huh? Unless that victim was the bomber (another twist I thought they were going to go with) how can they glean anything from his mind that he didn't actually see? Or, more to the point, since you'd assume these gov't scientists would expect this to become some sort of multi-verse thing, how could they trust any of the results he came back with since, they'd either be inventions in his own mind OR things that occur in the alternate world?

It was a HUGE hole. And they cover it up by saying, "it was a miracle". But that's lazy and offensive storytelling.

The thing was, this was a HOT script 4 years ago. It topped the Black List and everyone was raving about it. I figured they changed it but I went and read it last night after seeing it ... nope.

Ugh.