(OT) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

IBTG81

I went to go see Ocean's Twelve with my GF this past weekend, and a trailer for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory came on. Johnny Depp is playing Willy Wonka, and Tim Burton is directing. All I can say is WOW! The movie looks absolutely amazing and very "Tim Burton-esque". It comes out in July I believe.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the creepiest movies of all time is the orignal version of that film... the tunnel scene will haunt me till im gone... "is it raining, is it snowing, is a hurricane a blowing?"

there are so many little facts that are cool about that movie..

The kid who plays charlie bucket? That is his only acting role - EVER. He later became a veterinarian

The combination to the first door in the chocloate factory is 99-44/100% pure, which was an ad slogan for Ivory Soap

As the movie was filmed in Munich, Germany, many of the people cast as Oompaloompas were native to Germany or other European countries and therefore did not speak English fluently, if at all. This is why some appear to not know the words to songs during the musical numbers.

The reactions of the actors in some scenes are spontaneous. For example, when the children first enter the main factory and see the gardens, their reactions are real, it was really their first view of that particular set.

Roald Dahl (author of the book) hated the film.

Willy Wonka's summersault performed at the factory gates was Gene Wilder's idea

wow. i will definitely go see that next year. Thsi might sound strange, but I will bet it is one of the highest grossing films of 2005.

I saw Robert Dalh's name in the credits. I'd be surprised if he had anythign to do with this. He refused to allow the sequel (I believe called the Giant Glass Elevator) to be made into a movie because he hated the first so much

wow. i will definitely go see that next year. Thsi might sound strange, but I will bet it is one of the highest grossing films of 2005.

I saw Robert Dalh's name in the credits. I'd be surprised if he had anythign to do with this. He refused to allow the sequel (I believe called the Giant Glass Elevator) to be made into a movie because he hated the first so much

160758[/snapback]

I agree with you on one of the highest grossing films. You put Depp into a movie, with Tim Burton, instant Ka-ching!

160758[/snapback]

Dahl was big in the making of this movie. That's a big reason why it was made in the first place - Dahl wanted a movie that was truer to the spirit of the book.

He didn't like how the first one was a kids musical and he believed that it should have been a bit creepier.

Roald Dahl died in 1990. The only thing he had to do with this movie was writing the book. Maybe he wanted another version made, but he certainly didn't work on this. It should also be noted that the first movie is entitled "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", this version is named after the book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".

I don't see why Hollywood has to remake everything...I think Burton's going to screw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory over...

Depp also somehow makes Wonka into a homosexual in the trailer

160777[/snapback]

How did you think Depp was making WW gay? I didn't see it! :)

Roald Dahl died in 1990.  The only thing he had to do with this movie was writing the book.  Maybe he wanted another version made, but he certainly didn't work on this.  It should also be noted that the first movie is entitled "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", this version is named after the book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".

160774[/snapback]

That's what I meant.

Notice I didn't say he worked on the flick. But his displeasure over the first was a driving force behind Burton's vision and his idea to stick true to the source material.

I've seen that trailer, and it does look like Tim Burton made it. Thats not a bad thing, I look forward to seeing this movie.

Johnny Depp does look a bit creepy with all that make-up. I just hope that God-awful music is only in the trailer and not in the movie itself.

It'll be a great summer movie season.

I've seen that trailer, and it does look like Tim Burton made it. Thats not a bad thing, I look forward to seeing this movie.

Johnny Depp does look a bit creepy with all that make-up. I just hope that God-awful music is only in the trailer and not in the movie itself.

It'll be a great summer movie season.

160840[/snapback]

Danny Elfman did the score for the movie. He's one of the top guys in Hollywood.

I really don't think this will be done 100% true to the Dahl book. Why? In the book, the OompaLoompa's were basically small pigmy africans...

http://www.roalddahlfans.com/books/charoompa1.gif

all of the workers in Willy Wonka's factory are African pygmies. They work for a wage of cacao beans, sing songs that are almost war chants, and allow themselves to be experimented on like laboratory animals. Dahl says about them, "I created a group of little fantasy creatures.... I saw them as charming creatures, whereas the white kids in the books were... most unpleasant. It didn't occur to me that my depiction of the Oompa-Loompas was racist, but it did occur to the NAACP and others.... After listening to the criticisms, I found myself sympathizing with them, which is why I revised the book"

Roald Dahl (author of the book) hated the film.

-------------

-------------

Steven King hated Kubrick's version of The Shining. King originally worked on the movie but Kubrick said he was lazy and unmotivated so kicked him off the set.