(OT) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

IBTG81

I thought that was the point though...Keaton's completely non-threatening physicality as contrasted to Batman's threatening edginess highlighted the whole inner conflict Bruce Wayne feels between his real persona and alter ego.  Now that I think back (it's been a while since I saw it), the entire movie was set up to highlight that, right down to the colors and lighting.

And how people can complain about Michael Keaton cast as Batman is beyond me, considering they cast Val Kilmer in a sequel.  Kilmer as a goofy brain in "Real Genius"...I buy it.  Kilmer as Batman????  Please...

161661[/snapback]

I didn't like Kilmer either. I liked even less the ease with which the character gives up his identity - as long as you were a leggy blond willing to mamba.

Tim Burton ruined Batman?  His were the only versions that tried to stay true to the late Bob Kane's original Detective Comics version of Batman.  Those who were looking for Adam West were disappointed, I guess.  Now, I thought Joel Schumacher destroyed the franchise with his brighter, campier versions (Batman Forever and the atrocious Batman and Robin, the only one I do not own in ANY format).  I wonder how good Batman Forever would have been had someone else directed it and they were able to land Robin Williams as the Riddler instead of Jim Carrey.  His Riddler sucked.  He played it more like the Joker, which wasn't what I liked about the Riddler.  If you've ever watched the animated Batman series, then you know how awesome the Riddler was.  He wasn't silly and goofy at all.

161103[/snapback]

I thought those Batman movies had the look and feel of a broadway play more than a flick about a tortured superhero in Gotham city. The look was way too stylized, the acting was way too over the top and the score was not to my liking at all. Never once did you feel that this world existed. I wished they had taken a darker more realistic approach.