Funny

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just another unenforceable mandate that would be ignored/corrupted. It'd be much easier and cheaper to simplify the tax code and eliminate the need for "experts".

i agree with you. :thumbsup: would make for a lot of unhappy accountants and tax attorneys though.

You're not sure? Really?? You're not sure? How about the bull **** tax laws that allows (yes allows...it is 100% legal) a massive multi-national company to pay very little in taxes and I write a pretty good sized check every year. But in your mind you have such a hard time not trying to put the blame 100% on GE when there is probably a small part of you that knows they did nothing wrong. That's where your confusion lies right?

Wow, how condescending are you... sorry I guess you know everything because you write a pretty good sized check every year. :rolleyes

Of course, tax laws can be simplified and written so that companies like this do not get away with paying nothing. However, who will enforce the law? As I stated earlier..."I'm not surprised by GE going after those breaks. I am amazed that the breaks were as ridiculous as they are." I never said GE did anything wrong, not that case. The problem is with them being allowed to gain such breaks through loop holes and lobbying.

Even if "Fair Tax" was the answer... again who actually enforce it? I'm sure corporations like this will find other ways around it.

Edited by pBills

HAHAHA... that is good. So they can make BILLIONS in the US and not pay any taxes on it? Yet, small businesses are? Come on get real. I do like how you applaud that and say it's ok, because they provide jobs. So do many other companies who pay taxes.

This part I agree with you and it bothers me. I hate the fact that companies can lobby for special advantages creating a unleveled playing field . Just another instance of government intervention screwing things up.

Don't get me wrong pbills, I have no problem with the concept of taxation. I realize its a necessary evil, like government, to maintain the countries security and vital services like Police and fire. But like everything else, it gets abused. Percentage of tax gets so big it kills motivation for both business and individuals. Once this happens we are in trouble because the strength of the country is not the government but the citizens. Ok off my soapbox

Wow, how condescending are you... sorry I guess you know everything because you write a pretty good sized check every year. :rolleyes

Of course, tax laws can be simplified and written so that companies like this do not get away with paying nothing. However, who will enforce the law? As I stated earlier..."I'm not surprised by GE going after those breaks. I am amazed that the breaks were as ridiculous as they are." I never said GE did anything wrong, not that case. The problem is with them being allowed to gain such breaks through loop holes and lobbying.

Even if "Fair Tax" was the answer... again who actually enforce it? I'm sure corporations like this will find other ways around it.

Did you follow my link?

Did you follow my link?

So if they were to abolish all of those taxes and replaced them with a Federal Sales tax... how high would that sales tax be to replace all of the money coming in to the federal government? Sorry, only read the first part of it.

So if they were to abolish all of those taxes and replaced them with a Federal Sales tax... how high would that sales tax be to replace all of the money coming in to the federal government? Sorry, only read the first part of it.

I've seen estimates from 17-22%.

Around 20%.

this disproportionately punishes those that can least afford it. this is a regressive tax as opposed to the progressive tax system we currently have. i see it as a step backwards.

Did you follow my link? There is also a provision that would rebate a certain amount to the lower wage earners so that they would be no worse off than they are now.

Did you follow my link? There is also a provision that would rebate a certain amount to the lower wage earners so that they would be no worse off than they are now.

And now we've created our first loophole. That took, what, all of ten posts by a bunch of amateur kunckleheads on the internet?

Imagine the loopholes the professional knuckleheads in Congress will add.

Yup I know everything. How hard is it to blame the tax code when that is what allows these companies to reduce the amount of taxes they pay. And who would enforce it? The IRS. :wallbash:

Not true at all. You fully believe that companies pulling in BILLIONS should pay nothing in taxes?

Yes p, that's exactly what I was saying. :blink:

I wasn't at all referencing the irony of the anti-fat cat admin's golden child corporation who owns the anti-coporatist msdnc "news" channel, eluding the tax man.

Hey PBILLS YOU MORON...

Why dont you look up "THIS DAY IN HISTORY" and try to learn that Unions at one point were more than organized crime fronts trying to do a bit more than earning an extra two years on a retirement plan?

Did you follow my link?

I didn't but if it's a "consumption tax", it'll never work. That's a rainbow farting unicorn.

The only fair tax is a flat tax and enforcement is pretty straight forward. The IRS would be able to retool pretty quickly and instead of going after families to enforce the current "interpretable" code, they could go after non-payers and under payers (who would be far more obvious).

They might actually earn their keep.

I didn't but if it's a "consumption tax", it'll never work. That's a rainbow farting unicorn.

The only fair tax is a flat tax and enforcement is pretty straight forward. The IRS would be able to retool pretty quickly and instead of going after families to enforce the current "interpretable" code, they could go after non-payers and under payers (who would be far more obvious).

They might actually earn their keep.

Not just earn their keep - collect more at lower cost.

Hell, I'd bet that at least 10% of the tax code costs more to enforce than it brings in. Close those loopholes, increase reveune, reduce audits...probably save billions right there.

Hell, I'd bet that at least 10% of the tax code costs more to enforce than it brings in. Close those loopholes, increase reveune, reduce audits...probably save billions right there.

Flat tax would be nice. No exemptions or loopholes. Imagine the human cry from all the IRS workers? All the tax lawyers and accountants would have to find something else to do.

And I've mentioned before you'd be amazed (or maybe not) the number of tax returns from small business owners or 1099 people that come across my desk that deduct their income down to zero with dubious (at best) deductions. It's funny because they freak out when they get their SS statements and see because they've put very little into the system they're getting very little out. Also many times they don't qualify for IRA's either because they don't show any earned income.