Decadent decay in Detroit

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit must of been a beautiful city in it's day. You said it well- it is sad, tragic, and beautiful. I love architecture and checking out old buildings. On city data forums there is a most ghetto visually photo discussion. Detroit has plenty more photos there

I guess you figured out that I meant "Decadent decay in Detroit", not even sure what "devay" would mean.. :oops:

Detroit is such a cool city, too. It is in a great location and has a lot of treasures. The Ford Museum is very cool, the downtown River Front is hit or miss, going over to Canada is always fun (drinking age 19), and all in all, it's just a nice place but a sheethole city.

Years of bad politics, blunders in industry and stupidity gave us what Detroit is and I cannot think of another American city that has risen and fallen as much as Detroit.

Also, it is depressing seeing some pictures on the city-data forum that look like nicer parts of town here.

Edited by jboyst62

Monument to unions. Government over regulation. The EPA. Over taxation. Detroit must be heaven to the Pacific rim, Mexico, South America or whomever who is doing all the work now. Nice job f..tards.

On a side note. Some great sets there for post apocalyptic sci-fi or horror movies.

Also, some of these pics remind me of the Chernobyl ones.

Monument to unions. Government over regulation. The EPA. Over taxation. Detroit must be heaven to the Pacific rim, Mexico, South America or whomever who is doing all the work now. Nice job fuktards

Yup. But I bet you won't find much of that kind of talk in any of the books about the "good old days" in Motown.

Wow...these pictures are just amazing...almost like "Beneath The Planet of the Apes", excpet its' Detroint and not NYC...and there are no apes! Just kind sad and tragic...but kind of beautiful at the same time...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/23/detroit-decline_n_813696.html#218521

But when Auntie finally gets control of Master-Blaster, things'll start looking up.

Monument to unions. Government over regulation. The EPA. Over taxation. Detroit must be heaven to the Pacific rim, Mexico, South America or whomever who is doing all the work now. Nice job fuktards.

Won't disagree with your observations, but how much of that contributed to the decay versus investor-America clammering for more profits and increased stock value?

Monument to unions. Government over regulation. The EPA. Over taxation. Detroit must be heaven to the Pacific rim, Mexico, South America or whomever who is doing all the work now. Nice job fuktards.

On a side note. Some great sets there for post apocalyptic sci-fi or horror movies.

Also, some of these pics remind me of the Chernobyl ones.

monument to outsourcing, corporate greed and inefficiency, piss poor labor relations, and general ineptitude from CEO's.

I do agree Detroit would make a great location to shoot a post apocalyptic film.

monument to outsourcing, corporate greed and inefficiency, piss poor labor relations, and general ineptitude from CEO's.

Just curious, is the bolded phrase supposed to mean anything other than "let the union extortion artists take anything they want"?

p.s. love the "CEO ruined a perfectly good business" viewpoint.

Just curious, is the bolded phrase supposed to mean anything other than "let the union extortion artists take anything they want"?

p.s. love the "CEO ruined a perfectly good business" viewpoint.

send all our manufacturing jobs to Mexico. That will teach those unions

And while we are discussing urban decay- Charlotte Street in 1980's Bronx is as post apocalyptic as it gets. It is hard to imagine Somalia or Afghanistan or Dresden/Tokyo after the firebombings looking worse

The one things we need to respect Detroit for is their public train system. The People Mover is amazing. It was built to help people get downtown and help free up the roads. Now, the only thing the People Mover moves is people out of town. Irony?

All hail the Monorail.

this isn't new...i lived in ann arbor over 20 years ago and we only ventured into detroit when absolutely necessary. when i took my board exams at joe louis convention center, our hotel room (a respectable chain, may have even been a hilton) had jimmy marks along the lock and blood stains on the hall carpet. the few tigers games i went to were marred by extortion for car protection from the "neighbors" when you parked. it always was disheartening to come back from canada on the ambassador bridge and see the stark contrast with windsor or anywhere in canada, for that matter. i don't believe anywhere in canada has urban blight like detroit did even then. i'm not sure what conclusion to draw from this but it doesn't reflect well on the whole usa.

send all our manufacturing jobs to Mexico. That will teach those unions

Any particular reason you replied with a nonsensical sound-bite instead of answering the question? What were the "labor relations" that were lacking, and who do you think is responsible for that?

Also, any reason you can't or won't acknowledge that a major reason manufacturing jobs went to Mexico is because union greed was running rampant? Do you also think unions aren't creating any of the problems with our state budgets?

I do agree Detroit would make a great location to shoot a post apocalyptic film.

Picture #20 looks like the iconic photo used the "Walking Dead", minus the horse...pic #13 is Dahli...

Any particular reason you replied with a nonsensical sound-bite instead of answering the question? What were the "labor relations" that were lacking, and who do you think is responsible for that?

Also, any reason you can't or won't acknowledge that a major reason manufacturing jobs went to Mexico is because union greed was running rampant? Do you also think unions aren't creating any of the problems with our state budgets?

well I thought it was an adequate reply to a lead in question. Sure the UAW was far from perfect. But there should be a balance between labor and management and it is rarely fair. In CT we are at will employees, which means we basically have zero rights whatsoever. I excelled at a job for 23 years, and got fired for no reason. I sure wish I had union standing behind me. Believe me I have heard all sorts of stories about some union slackers. But no system is perfect and there should be that balance.

As far as Mexico- I put that on CEO's greed and inadequacy, and NAFTA. Roger Smith has been named one of the worst CEO's in history. In part because his awful relations with unions. Despite attempting to cut costs moving to Mexico, GM has lost their profits, and is most definitely a major contributor to the slow death of Detroit. Is this a case of biting your nose off to spite your face?

have a lovely stroll through Detroit

well I thought it was an adequate reply to a lead in question. Sure the UAW was far from perfect. But there should be a balance between labor and management and it is rarely fair. In CT we are at will employees, which means we basically have zero rights whatsoever. I excelled at a job for 23 years, and got fired for no reason. I sure wish I had union standing behind me. Believe me I have heard all sorts of stories about some union slackers. But no system is perfect and there should be that balance.

As far as Mexico- I put that on CEO's greed and inadequacy, and NAFTA. Roger Smith has been named one of the worst CEO's in history. In part because his awful relations with unions. Despite attempting to cut costs moving to Mexico, GM has lost their profits, and is most definitely a major contributor to the slow death of Detroit. Is this a case of biting your nose off to spite your face?

have a lovely stroll through Detroit

Much the same going on here in Texas. The state is 26 billion in the hole, so state workers are getting laid off/fired left and right. At my old state job, 8 people, all with lots of time put on, all on the wrong side of 40, have been fired...since Janauary. And the employer is fighting all unemployment claims. Most were the victims of trumped up charges for the most part. They dug hard into obscure codes, so they could site people for the most minor of things.

Edited by Buftex