NCAA Tournament

Gordio

Yah that's pretty standard...

Unless UNC is involved. :doh:

Yeah fun weekend & the games were great. My bracket is pretty blown out with the Pitt debacle & then Texas somehow blowing that game last night. Oh well. Still a fun weekend & there was some great games. Already looking forward to next weekend & some interesting matchups.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it now established practice for the officials to stop at every whistle in the last 20 seconds of a game to make sure they have the right number of tenths of seconds on the clock?

Just when you thought they couldn't possibly drag out the end of a basketball game any longer....

The tenths of a second thing is obnoxious. The lag time from when the official blows the whistle to when the clock stops is part of the game. Not to mention i think its physically impossible to catch and shoot in under a second. So why bother timing to that level? (Unless you are derek fisher and the lakers). Use the tenths to make sure the shot was taken before the buzzer and thats it.

Also, if your team is down by 15 points with less than 3 minutes to go, stop fouling. You aren't coming back.

LETS GO NOLES!!! FSU was lookin real good this weekend, and it was great to see them smash that punk ben hansbrough. He's got a face you just wanna punch.

The tenths of a second thing is obnoxious. The lag time from when the official blows the whistle to when the clock stops is part of the game. Not to mention i think its physically impossible to catch and shoot in under a second. So why bother timing to that level? (Unless you are derek fisher and the lakers). Use the tenths to make sure the shot was taken before the buzzer and thats it.

Agreed. I had to turn the channel when the talking heads blathered on for ten minutes about the 'controversy' of whether there were .8 or 1.1 seconds left in the clock. Good grief.

LETS GO NOLES!!! FSU was lookin real good this weekend, and it was great to see them smash that punk ben hansbrough. He's got a face you just wanna punch.

Where's that FU smiley?

Can't say I'm surprised at all about that outcome.

Agreed. I had to turn the channel when the talking heads blathered on for ten minutes about the 'controversy' of whether there were .8 or 1.1 seconds left in the clock. Good grief.

Where's that FU smiley?

Can't say I'm surprised at all about that outcome.

Forgot for a second you were a ND fan. :)

FSU's defense didn't surprise me, and i knew we'd match up pretty good against you guys. It was the offense and the knocking down 3's that was a bit surprising. I figured we'd eek out a win, not dominate the way we did. You could definitely see the frustration on ND's faces when they weren't getting any open looks and couldn't knock anything down.

Imagine how Kansas feels, now that in their bracket they have a 10, 11, and 12 seed with them in the sweet 16.

Whoda thunk..Richmond Va capital of the basket ball universe. VCU and Richmond campuses about 5 miles apart.

Richmond has as many teams in the sweet 16 as the Big Least. Over-rated! Clap! clap! clap-clap-clap!

Richmond has as many teams in the sweet 16 as the Big Least. Over-rated! Clap! clap! clap-clap-clap!

Maybe the NCAA can just start inviting the 'BCS' conferences to the basketball tourney since they are so determined to include every bottoming feeding member of the Big Least. 11 teams out of a 16 team league -- what a joke.

Yeah fun weekend & the games were great. My bracket is pretty blown out with the Pitt debacle & then Texas somehow blowing that game last night. Oh well. Still a fun weekend & there was some great games. Already looking forward to next weekend & some interesting matchups.

Is it really any surprise that Rick Barnes can't put together a coherent offensive gameplan, and the team folds from mistakes in the 2nd round as a result?

First-Round Rick.

Maybe the NCAA can just start inviting the 'BCS' conferences to the basketball tourney since they are so determined to include every bottoming feeding member of the Big Least. 11 teams out of a 16 team league -- what a joke.

11 teams from 1 conference is obnoxious. I love how the NCAA tells the little teams they should have won their conference to get in, so they have no right to complain, yet they invite what, 60% of another conference?

The Big East in basketball is what the SEC is in football. A good conference, probably the best in the nation, but not nearly as good as everyone would have you believe. Those 2 conferences operate under the incorrect assumption that "every single team we have is great, so losing conference games meant you just lost to another great team." In fact, those guys have some great top end teams, decent middle teams, and bad low end teams. Not too different from most other conferences.

Due to the sheer number of teams and the brackets, the big east was guaranteed at least 2 teams in the sweet 16, and thats all they got in. Only because they played each other.

But i guess college basketball would be better if we just said Ohio St was going to play Kansas for the national title and everyone else can go home. Then we wouldn't have to worry about "lesser" teams like Butler, VCU, and Richmond making a run and "spoiling" the championship.

Edited by Ramius

I am amazed at the # of people who openly brag about not caring about or watching the reg. season who then pretend to be experts in March based on a tiny sample size of one weekend. This doesn't seem to happen to the same extent in any other sport.

Needless to say the Big East flopped and failed to meet expectations. Pretty much anyone who followed the season knew they didn't have any elite teams; just a lot of depth. Note that a couple yrs ago when they were more top-heavy they got better seeds but fewer bids. Marquette was the 11th team and you can say they only made the S16 because they played another BE team if it makes you feel better, but they also curbstomped a Xavier team that went 15-1 in Richmond's conference.

As the biggest BE hater of them all Doug Gottlieb said - the ball did not bounce the right way for Pitt, or L'ville (whose best player got hurt) or Villanova (who looked like dogs down the stretch yet still led the whole game and needed 90% FT shooters to miss repeatedly in order to lose to George Mason); and UNC/Duke would be out too if they don't play home games in the 2nd round.

I am amazed at the # of people who openly brag about not caring about or watching the reg. season who then pretend to be experts in March based on a tiny sample size of one weekend. This doesn't seem to happen to the same extent in any other sport.

Needless to say the Big East flopped and failed to meet expectations. Pretty much anyone who followed the season knew they didn't have any elite teams; just a lot of depth. Note that a couple yrs ago when they were more top-heavy they got better seeds but fewer bids. Marquette was the 11th team and you can say they only made the S16 because they played another BE team if it makes you feel better, but they also curbstomped a Xavier team that went 15-1 in Richmond's conference.

As the biggest BE hater of them all Doug Gottlieb said - the ball did not bounce the right way for Pitt, or L'ville (whose best player got hurt) or Villanova (who looked like dogs down the stretch yet still led the whole game and needed 90% FT shooters to miss repeatedly in order to lose to George Mason); and UNC/Duke would be out too if they don't play home games in the 2nd round.

Always love another teams fan crying in their beer. Smart not to mention The Ohio State University or the Big 10.

As far as Duke being out if they'd not be playing in Charlotte? That's crap. UNC and Duke are two good ACC teams and they earned the right to play in the regions they were placed. Duke wil have a hard time going out to Anaheim to play a game against Arizona, did you remember that? Newark isn't exactly a country drive from Chapel Hill, either. Next you're going to say that they got in the tournament because they're in the ACC, right? Yeah, #1 and #2 seeds are handouts.

Oh, and in case you forgot...Florida State, yeah, they are doing okay, too. It was last week that everyone was saying how BS it was they got in at such a high seed.

Pittsburgh was a paper tiger. The Big East was overrated this year. Good. Not Great. With a dozen-some teams you're going to have many of them get knocked out, it just goes with the game.

Edited by jboyst62

Always love another teams fan crying in their beer. Smart not to mention The Ohio State University or the Big 10.

As far as Duke being out if they'd not be playing in Charlotte? That's crap. UNC and Duke are two good ACC teams and they earned the right to play in the regions they were placed. Duke wil have a hard time going out to Anaheim to play a game against Arizona, did you remember that? Newark isn't exactly a country drive from Chapel Hill, either. Next you're going to say that they got in the tournament because they're in the ACC, right? Yeah, #1 and #2 seeds are handouts.

Oh, and in case you forgot...Florida State, yeah, they are doing okay, too. It was last week that everyone was saying how BS it was they got in at such a high seed.

Pittsburgh was a paper tiger. The Big East was overrated this year. Good. Not Great. With a dozen-some teams you're going to have many of them get knocked out, it just goes with the game.

What about Ohio St or the Big 10 and why do I have to mention them? Which Big 10 team that was left out should've been in - Minnesota?

Good for them "earning the right" but not everyone who earns that right plays home games. When UNC played @MSG last year they had a zillion fans so I think they'll be fine wrt crowd support in Newark.

I'm not sure who "everyone" is wrt criticism of FSU's seed (straw-man arguments are awesome though!).

What about Ohio St or the Big 10 and why do I have to mention them? Which Big 10 team that was left out should've been in - Minnesota?

Good for them "earning the right" but not everyone who earns that right plays home games. When UNC played @MSG last year they had a zillion fans so I think they'll be fine wrt crowd support in Newark.

I'm not sure who "everyone" is wrt criticism of FSU's seed (straw-man arguments are awesome though!).

People here, people in the media were upset that conferences like the Big East and ACC got so many teams in and wanted the smaller conference teams to have a chance. I do not disagree with them in some cases, it's nice to have the Butlers and Bradley's and VCU's...but making a good bracket of 64 teams is hard in the NCAA.

The Big 10 didn't need more teams in the tournament and having more teams in the tournament would have made them appear weaker - just like how people are questioning the strength of the Big East now.

UNC has fans all over, just like Texas, The Ohio State, Cuse, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Univ. South Cali, Florida, etc. Where would it be fair for those teams to play? Should UNC have to go to Seattle? While not just send them to Guam? Big schools with huge fan bases and a long history have more support then those who do not. UNC is in the business of playing good basketball, just like Duke. They will always appeal nationally to a wide crowd.

People here, people in the media were upset that conferences like the Big East and ACC got so many teams in and wanted the smaller conference teams to have a chance. I do not disagree with them in some cases, it's nice to have the Butlers and Bradley's and VCU's...but making a good bracket of 64 teams is hard in the NCAA.

The Big 10 didn't need more teams in the tournament and having more teams in the tournament would have made them appear weaker - just like how people are questioning the strength of the Big East now.

UNC has fans all over, just like Texas, The Ohio State, Cuse, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Univ. South Cali, Florida, etc. Where would it be fair for those teams to play? Should UNC have to go to Seattle? While not just send them to Guam? Big schools with huge fan bases and a long history have more support then those who do not. UNC is in the business of playing good basketball, just like Duke. They will always appeal nationally to a wide crowd.

I don't disagree w/ any of this. Not sure what you're arguing. You're the one who brought up Newark...

I just think if you want to play the populist "little guy" card you should have some teams in mind that should've gotten in and why. But nobody does. VCU and UAB were a couple of the last teams in (presumably over Colorado and Va Tech) and had/have a chance to compete, unlike college football. Not sure what the problem is. :huh:

Edited by BuffOrange

Marquette was the 11th team and you can say they only made the S16 because they played another BE team if it makes you feel better, but they also curbstomped a Xavier team that went 15-1 in Richmond's conference.

See, now Richmond is being used as the standard!!! :thumbsup:

Xavier butt stomped Richmond here as well..thought they had a better chance at advancing than Richmond

BTW, the city of Richmond going ape chit over two schools in the sweet 16.

I don't disagree w/ any of this. Not sure what you're arguing. You're the one who brought up Newark...

I just think if you want to play the populist "little guy" card you should have some teams in mind that should've gotten in and why. But nobody does. VCU and UAB were a couple of the last teams in (presumably over Colorado and Va Tech) and had/have a chance to compete, unlike college football. Not sure what the problem is. :huh:

I wasn't arguing as much as saying I do not think you'd have had the same comments to say if your team had been successful this weekend.

There really wasn't any teams this year that did not deserve to get in...if VT got in then someone else would have had to be out. Nobody would have wanted VT vs. Duke. Maybe UNCO out of the West and VT in, but that wouldn't work. Or VT in Indiana States spot. Who knows...but there are always these small teams that win and until they stop winning no one can really say that other teams don't deserve their spot.

I wasn't arguing as much as saying I do not think you'd have had the same comments to say if your team had been successful this weekend.

Well that's wrong, I would've had the same comments if Scoop Jardine wasn't a retard. I am a poker player who understands variance. Read through my post history and you'll see me defending guys like Marty Schottenheimer, Andy Reid, and Tony Romo, because there is sooooo much more luck in postseasons than people realize, particularly in a 1 and done format. I mean I don't think Syracuse was the best team in 2003 either.