Replacements

dbringer

Am I the only one who enjoyed the replacement games in 1987? OK, the games were about as well played as high school football, but I like high school football! I still remember the Giants-Bills game in Buffalo - the game where Lawrence Taylor crossed the picket line to play. It was a fun game - was it Todd Schlopy who kicked the winning field goal for Buffalo? Or how about the Monday Night game where Bill Walsh had his replacement quarterback run the option for the 49ers, and all Bill Parcells could do was laugh. Who would have thought that 20 years later the wildcat would be so popular?

I've read that during the last CBA, both sides agreed that they wouldn't use replacement players. But now that there is no union, isn't that agreement out the window?

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'm a fan of the city, the team colors, and the logo. As long as the players wearing Buffalo's uniform get them to the playoffs, I'm OK with that...

agreed.

I would love to see replacement players again.

That said, if you relly want replacement owners then what the players should do is this:

Form their own player-owned league, with the playeers playing where they are now, and go up agains NFL replacement teams. They would instantly have a credible product, far more so than the replacement teams, and would get media-love unheard of in sports. The players could pool their personal money and use it for administration and insurance, and play for equity in the league. They will be playing in second-rate facilities, but since when has stadium attendence ever paid salaries? I have no doubt they would get a national television coverage from somebody for minimal money - and if they last a year or two, it would become big money and they would start to cash in

If the quality of the players is truely as important to the business of football as they believe, and having their quality versus the guys who get cut in August really makes a difference to fans (as most here would have us believe), the players will succeed with their new league. But if after a year there is no discernable on-field difference between the NFLPA league and a relacement-filled NFL team, they will fail.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the replacement games in 1987? OK, the games were about as well played as high school football, but I like high school football! I still remember the Giants-Bills game in Buffalo - the game where Lawrence Taylor crossed the picket line to play. It was a fun game - was it Todd Schlopy who kicked the winning field goal for Buffalo? Or how about the Monday Night game where Bill Walsh had his replacement quarterback run the option for the 49ers, and all Bill Parcells could do was laugh. Who would have thought that 20 years later the wildcat would be so popular?

I've read that during the last CBA, both sides agreed that they wouldn't use replacement players. But now that there is no union, isn't that agreement out the window?

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'm a fan of the city, the team colors, and the logo. As long as the players wearing Buffalo's uniform get them to the playoffs, I'm OK with that...

An ironic twist of fate- by acquiring free agency the players have hurt personal relationships to their fans. In 3 years most teams turn over 90% of their rosters anyway- atleast it seems. It forces you to be a fan of the city more then the men in the uniforms.

I know I'd still watch.