OT - Rental Car

EZC-Boston

Marty, you also need to figure gas will cost ya a pretty good penny. So, figure last minute one way plane ticket, you can probably get for $150. Rent a car, you're gonna spend at least $60 or so for one day, and 6 hours worth of highway gas, that's at least $50. You may want to look into flying.

http://www.enterprise.com/

pop in some dates (Im assuming the 23rd or 24th), and it tells you. I didnt see an option for one way, but if anyone does, it would be enterprise.

159974[/snapback]

Called them and they don't. Alamo will but their prices seem high (though since I've never rented a car before I guess I have nothing to reference) so I was trying to find something cheaper...

and why would you want to do that? Wouldn't it be cheaper to fly??? You're going to spend $50 on gas (if the vehicle gets 25 mpg) and tolls alone. The car is probably going to cost you at least $65, plus you might get charged a mileage rate... and you're going to spend about 8 hours driving. Unless you're hauling a bunch af freight with you, it would seem to me you ought to be able to get a flight from boston to buffalo for 125-150... maybe I'm wrong.

Called them and they don't.  Alamo will but their prices seem high (though since I've never rented a car before I guess I have nothing to reference) so I was trying to find something cheaper...

159984[/snapback]

I just checked Expedia... $210 for a one way flight on the 23rd...

Yikes...

the 21st? $157...

One thing you should think about since you're driving anyway...look in your local classifieds to see if anyone needs a car transported to Buffalo.  You never know...

159982[/snapback]

You beat me to it. Post a note on Boston's Craiglist, as well. They might even pay for the gas and such. Look from the Buffalo end too.

I just checked Expedia... $210 for a one way flight on the 23rd...

Yikes...

the 21st?  $157...

159995[/snapback]

Yes, see, I can't imagine finding a flight for under $200, flying from boston to buffalo though not far is expensive, if I can get a car and split it between 2 or 3 guys, then to me it is worth it...

Yes, see, I can't imagine finding a flight for under $200, flying from boston to buffalo though not far is expensive, if I can get a car and split it between 2 or 3 guys, then to me it is worth it...

159998[/snapback]

well, if you can split the trip, that's cool... but if you ARE leaving on the 21st, $157 isnt bad to get home in 5 minutes :lol:

I'm assuming you want to go to the Steeler game on Jan 2 and fly out on Jan 1. Orbitz has a nonstop for $403 on USAirways. :lol:

You can get a one-stopper for $152, though, through Dulles on United.

So let's say $150 one-way, total travel time 4 hours gate to gate. Add in a couple more hours for travel to and from airport and built-in delays and you're looking at 6 or 6 1/2 hours.

It takes seven hours to drive Boston-Buffalo, and that's with minimal stops.

The good thing about driving is you can control when you leave and when you arrive and all that. The bad thing is it's got to be one of the most mind-numbing drives in the United States. (I do it several times a year.)

Figure 12 bucks on tolls, around $40 for gas, and it costs $63 on Hertz to rent a Focus on New Year's Day. (Yeah you can get a cheaper rate elsewhere.) It's probably still cheaper to drive, but not by so much that it's a no-brainer.

I'm assuming you want to go to the Steeler game on Jan 2 and fly out on Jan 1.  Orbitz has a nonstop for $403 on USAirways.  :lol:

You can get a one-stopper for $152, though, through Dulles on United.

So let's say $150 one-way, total travel time 4 hours gate to gate.  Add in a couple more hours for travel to and from airport and built-in delays and you're looking at 6 or 6 1/2 hours. 

It takes seven hours to drive Boston-Buffalo, and that's with minimal stops.

The good thing about driving is you can control when you leave and when you arrive and all that.  The bad thing is it's got to be one of the most mind-numbing drives in the United States.  (I do it several times a year.)

Figure 12 bucks on tolls, around $40 for gas, and it costs $63 on Hertz to rent a Focus on New Year's Day.  (Yeah you can get a cheaper rate elsewhere.)  It's probably still cheaper to drive, but not by so much that it's a no-brainer.

160022[/snapback]

Usually all the Airport rentals provide 1-way rentals and they usually range

in the 70 to 100 dollars range...Of course now you have to take into account

the cost and time to go to the airport to pick up the car. Also I guess if you

can get to Providence you could fly SouthWest to Buffalo ?

159998[/snapback]

Rental agencies generally don't like one-way trips - it takes a vehicle out of their fleet, and they (at the destination) definitely do not like having a vehicle with an out-of-state plate. Try calling all the big names and tell them that you are planning to travel from Boston to Bflo, and if they have a vehicle that needs to go back there, you are their man. If they have one that needs to be returned, you will get a good rate - if you insist. You are doing them a favor and if they want primo bucks, bye-bye. Call back later - they might have changed their minds. You have to be flexible; it may be an Econoline passenger van or a Cadillac, or a Taurus or a rice burner, but no matter.

An airline rental tip. If you reserve a Lincoln Town Car, it's pricey. If you reserve a sub-compact, compact etc., when you get to the counter, ask about an upgrade. If they have a bunch of unreserved Lincolns, Caddies etc., they'll give you one for 5 bucks more or so. It's all the same to them - that's 5 more bucks for them than they had before, and the business is such that they get a certain number of miles on the vehicles and then they go out to the lease/used car market, so whether you put miles on a luxo-liner or a screaming sewing machine is the same in their eyes.

I won't say that works all the time, but ask. You may well ride in style for peanuts.

Guest RLflutie
Has anybody ever rented a car one way?  I'm trying to rent a car from Boston to Buffalo and find the cheapest way to do that, any suggestions?

159959[/snapback]

I have done this several times. I travel a lot. I hate rental car companies because it's a marathon just to get a stupid car. Time at counter, one their bus at airport etc.

Here's what I know:

Hertz: Hertz long with Avis will allow one-way rentals. Hertz will probably charge $75 as the "drop fee". Plus the rental rate: anywhere from $16 a day to $85 a day. Hertz has the largest fleet in the business. They also charge a smaller deposit to rent the car.

Avis: I think Avis used to be the best company to use for one-ways. I've used them before where they didn't charge me the normal $50-75 drop fee. They also have a huge fleet. I haven't used Avis in a long time because they don't patner with my frequent flyer airline.

Enterprise: I hate this company because they use high pressure tactics to get you to buy the insurance. Plus they don't do one-ways in most cities that I know. They also have milage restrictions which is total BS. Plus, worst of all, they will charge a deposit of $150 to $450. This company is a total ripoff.

Alamo/National: This is the same company. They don't take a stupid deposit which is great. National will also give you a good one-way rate. In some cities Alamo will charge a deposit, but it's not three times the rental rate. They also will take a debit card in some cases.

Budget: Will do a one-way but with a drop fee $75-125. And they take a debit card, but they'll take a big deposit.

Thifty: Will give a great rate but no one-ways as far as I know. PLus they do take a deposit.

Dollar: I usually get the best rate from dollar. But I don't think they'll do a one way.

Usually, most rental car companies have different policies in different cities. No one-ways in Las Vegas for every company is a good example.

Check with all the major companies.

As someone who moved to Boston 2.5 years ago - I've discovered air fare is NOT cheap between BOS and BUF.

I usually pay $232 on USAirways for a direct flight - with a month notice. Good luck on USairways.

You might want to try flyi.com (Independence Air) - they have some pretty cheap deals!

You can fly SOUTHWEST out of Providence OR Manchester - via BALTIMORE. I've done that before.

I'd definitely check out boston.craigslist.com and post an ad there... even check out buffalo.craigslist.com - you never know - but be careful.

You may also want to try Air Canada - with a direct flight from BOS to Toronto... but that may be a pain in the ass.

Car Rental Agencies: I've found ENTERPRISE to be the cheapest!

Good luck.

ONE LAST IDEA: Take the Fung GU Bus to NYC for $10 and fly JETBLUE!!!!

Guest Guest_The Bills Have Won it!
Usually all the Airport rentals provide 1-way rentals and they usually range

in the 70 to 100 dollars range...Of course now you have to take into account

the cost and time to go to the airport to pick up the car.  Also I guess if you

can get to Providence you could fly SouthWest to Buffalo ?

160069[/snapback]

Did you hear the difference between a HUMER and a Rental Car?

Ther are some places you wouldn't try getting in a Hummer! <grin>

YAH Enterprise doesn't do one ways 'round here, but AVIS was easy to please...

Has anybody ever rented a car one way?  I'm trying to rent a car from Boston to Buffalo and find the cheapest way to do that, any suggestions?

159959[/snapback]

AS an option you might want to look at Amtrak from Albany to Buffalo. If this is one of the special games that they advertise t is a pretty good deal. Bus transportation to the game from the train station. Thenyou only need to drive from Boston to Albany not so bad and allows lots of drinking time.