Carson Palmer & the effect on the draft..

After listening to Carson Palmer pretty much declare that he'll never play for the bengals again and is willing to essentially sit out, what effect do you think this would have on the draft?

The Bengals should be in panic mode right now b/c if Palmer goes, who's their back up? Jordan Palmer? Don't they wish they still had fitzy!?

Anyway,the bengals pick right after us at 4..but right after the bengals, we have Arizona at 5, San Fran at 7, and Tennessee at 8...ALL of these teams could seriously be looking for a QB. If the Bengals realize that Palmer isn't coming back, their interest in Cam Newton/Gabbert at #4 should probably increase exponentially. That being said, the Bills could possibly use this as an opportunity to trade with either Arizona, San Fran, or Tennesee so one of these three teams can be assured of getting their QB at #3 before the Bengals pick.

Though I'm not 100% sold on trading down, it would be extremely hard to not trade down for example with arizona since that would mean we'd be gettting back at least an extra 2nd rounder...The chances of at least ONE of the following, Dareus, Quinn or Fairley being there at 5 would still be extremely high, imo. If I'm the bills, and at the end of the day I have Dareus/Quinn/Fairley rated as 1a, 1b, 1c..meaning that it's THAT close...i'd probably just trade down if the option presents itself.

I for one hope that Palmer sticks to his guns, b/c at the very least it gives us more leverage/trading power come draft day.

Thoughts?

Edited by bobobonators

Trade down. We get Palmer and a second? Is that even possible?

No, I didn't mean for us to get Palmer. We'd get a 2nd round pick back from the team we trade down with at 5, 7, or 8.

The bengals have said they won't trade Palmer..I don't know how that situation will work out.

Or by your post do you mean that the Bengals trade us Palmer & their second rd. pick to jump up to our spot?..i'm not sure what you meant by your post..sorry.

I do not think Chan would be willing to take Palmer. The only QB we will be getting on this roster will be sitting behind Fitz.

Now, if the Bengals want to trade up I think they call Denver. A new GM with a few needs and a QB in Tebow - I see them wanting a QB more. I would say a better chance of having Cinci trade up to get the best QB available, one who is similar to Elway, Gabbert. Maybe Mallet. If they do jump up to get the QB then I believe it puts us in a better position to get our defensive guy, as Washington will likely get a QB, along with a few others - I would think they are eyeing Newton in all honestly. Snyder wants some electricity. Either way, a run on QB's in round 1 could happen leaving several players for us to chose from in the 2nd.

I do not think Chan would be willing to take Palmer. The only QB we will be getting on this roster will be sitting behind Fitz.

Now, if the Bengals want to trade up I think they call Denver. A new GM with a few needs and a QB in Tebow - I see them wanting a QB more. I would say a better chance of having Cinci trade up to get the best QB available, one who is similar to Elway, Gabbert. Maybe Mallet. If they do jump up to get the QB then I believe it puts us in a better position to get our defensive guy, as Washington will likely get a QB, along with a few others - I would think they are eyeing Newton in all honestly. Snyder wants some electricity. Either way, a run on QB's in round 1 could happen leaving several players for us to chose from in the 2nd.

I definitely wouldn't want Palmer at this point in his career..especially since it would have to be done via trade. I can't wait to see how it plays out, there's going to be 4-5 teams-at least-jockying for position for 2 QB's.

After listening to Carson Palmer pretty much declare that he'll never play for the bengals again and is willing to essentially sit out, what effect do you think this would have on the draft?

The Bengals should be in panic mode right now b/c if Palmer goes, who's their back up? Jordan Palmer? Don't they wish they still had fitzy!?

Other message boards are saying "No way does Buffalo pass on Gabbert or Newton. The Bills should be in panic mode

right now b/c Fitzpatrick is their starter and Brohm is their backup".

Edited by OldTimer1960

I definitely wouldn't want Palmer at this point in his career..especially since it would have to be done via trade. I can't wait to see how it plays out, there's going to be 4-5 teams-at least-jockying for position for 2 QB's.

With only 2 top tier QB's, Mallet and Gabbert you have to wonder how who is desperate enough to get them. With Locker's stock falling, Newton rising and falling like the tide, and Ponder and Kaepernick dark horses you have to add up how many teams want a QB and how bad they do. Kaepernick could jump to the first but is likely a second. Newton will have to go in the first, if Tebow did Newton will. Ponder could go late 2nd or maybe 3rd. I truly expect 5 of those 6 QB's being drafted before round 3.

Other message boards are saying "No way does Buffalo pass on Gabbert or Newton. The Bills should be in panic mode

right now b/c Fitzpatrick is their starter and Brohm is their backup".

lol..i'm sure they are saying that. But unlike the Bengals, we at least have a starting QB right now. You'd be hard-pressed to deny the fact that Carson Palmer announcing that he will never play for the Bengals again, just a few weeks before the draft, puts the Bengals in a very tight spot right now and going forward.

With only 2 top tier QB's, Mallet and Gabbert you have to wonder how who is desperate enough to get them. With Locker's stock falling, Newton rising and falling like the tide, and Ponder and Kaepernick dark horses you have to add up how many teams want a QB and how bad they do. Kaepernick could jump to the first but is likely a second. Newton will have to go in the first, if Tebow did Newton will. Ponder could go late 2nd or maybe 3rd. I truly expect 5 of those 6 QB's being drafted before round 3.

I pretty much agree...I'd be hard pressed to see any of the other non-netwon/gabbert QB's jump into the 1nd round though..you look at picks 17-32, and really only one team - the seahawks at #25 - are capable of drafting a QB and that would be a long shot imo. The only way I'd see the Seahawks taking a QB is if Gabbert is still there when they pick...but after the first round i could definitely see the rest of the top QB's being selected before the 3rd round like you said..

a) theres absolutely no way the bills take newton at three. no. way. hes just too risky and they arent that desperate. they are going to use their top pick to get a d stud and get their next developmental qb later. they are better than two thirds of the league at qb right now and will take their time to find and prepare the guy who will take fitzs job

2) if that scenario happened and arizona offered their first and second rounders the bills would be foolish not to do it. i hope that DOES happen

¶) i doubt any of that happens. none of the top three teams are going to take newton. cincy might but if arizona wants him they probably just roll the dice hoping cincy passes and if not they get a stud at some other position

I completely disagree with your assessment of all the QBs. Most people have Newton and Gabbert as the 2 top tier QBs, and Locker's stock has been RISING since the combine, when he was lit up Indianapolis. Also, you're forgetting that as the draft gets closer and closer, QBs will be rated higher and higher. I'd honestly be surprised if at least 3 QBs didn't go in the top 10.

Thats Kool Aid if you're serious.

We need a QB as a backup...Anyone think AVP could put on a uniform still?

Not sure about AVP, but I know of a JPL who could be a backup :thumbsup:

I completely disagree with your assessment of all the QBs. Most people have Newton and Gabbert as the 2 top tier QBs, and Locker's stock has been RISING since the combine, when he was lit up Indianapolis. Also, you're forgetting that as the draft gets closer and closer, QBs will be rated higher and higher. I'd honestly be surprised if at least 3 QBs didn't go in the top 10.

Says who? Recent history shows otherwise.

idealy, we drop back to 5 with Arizona. Assuming we do we arent taking a QB anyways. That leaves the Bungals to take that 1 player we really want, or if there are two guys like we like we dont risk anything. We can only dream buddy figures out how to trade :blink:

I was speaking of surefire contributors that are more likely to instantly provide a team with results then be more of a development project. Newton is a wildcard.

I think what more teams need to realize that Kolb and Palmer are better then any QB in this draft now. In a year or two that could change but if a team feels the same way then why wouldn't they trade their first for Kolb or Palmer? Why wouldn't SF want Palmer who would likely work out in their system? Now, if Palmer can realize he is likely desitined to play out a Kerry Collins type career then I think he'd be worth bringing in...but it'd never work. He'd never play under his former backup.

If Mallet and Gabbert are the only two top tier QBs, then there are no Top tier QBs...

If Mallet and Gabbert are the only two top tier QBs, then there are no Top tier QBs...

Thats been my thought for a long time. Of course, who can ever say a draft prospect is a sure thing?

I could see some of these QB's being an impactful player - just how long and when are the concerns. If this was 2003 or any other year with a decent amount of QB's none of these guys we're talking about would be as highly thought of...