Gailey says while OT is not a crying need......

JStranger76

I smell a 3rd round/maybe trade back up into 2nd round selection of a RT. Prospects for guys who project to the RT position looks somewhat deep this year. I think a DE, TE, and ILB will be the focus in free agency, although RT would be great too. Let's hope we get one folks......

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I smell a 3rd round/maybe trade back up into 2nd round selection of a RT. Prospects for guys who project to the RT position looks somewhat deep this year. I think a DE, TE, and ILB will be the focus in free agency, although RT would be great too. Let's hope we get one folks......

I'd never be against upgrading the lines -either side. We're all going about this off-season as if we're oblivious to the black cloud of Lock-out overhead. FA will likely come to a screeching halt March 3rd, making the Draft the first opportunity to address team needs. Very different from the norm and, IMO, hampers what is being considered in the draft. Additionally, just about every FA we've talked about here since the end of the season has been tagged by their teams. Pickin's are slim to none, I'm afraid. So I think the team has to focus on glaring needs (DL/LB) early in the draft. JMO.

I'd never be against upgrading the lines -either side. We're all going about this off-season as if we're oblivious to the black cloud of Lock-out overhead. FA will likely come to a screeching halt March 3rd, making the Draft the first opportunity to address team needs. Very different from the norm and, IMO, hampers what is being considered in the draft. Additionally, just about every FA we've talked about here since the end of the season has been tagged by their teams. Pickin's are slim to none, I'm afraid. So I think the team has to focus on glaring needs (DL/LB) early in the draft. JMO.

It will allow them to take the best player available and fill in their needs with free agency. There are many free agent RTs hitting the market this year: Clabo, Harris, Yanda, Gaither, & Colon to name a few. There are also likely to be many free agents in general as last year, due to the changing rules without a CBA, there really wasn't free agency. So there's basically two years worth of guys hitting the market. It just happens that the 5 or 6 premier guys that the Bills had no chance at anyway got tagged.

It will allow them to take the best player available and fill in their needs with free agency. There are many free agent RTs hitting the market this year: Clabo, Harris, Yanda, Gaither, & Colon to name a few. There are also likely to be many free agents in general as last year, due to the changing rules without a CBA, there really wasn't free agency. So there's basically two years worth of guys hitting the market. It just happens that the 5 or 6 premier guys that the Bills had no chance at anyway got tagged.

yeah, but...

There'll be no FA -as I understand it- until a new CBA is hammered out, which could take months. Are you saying we'll have 2-3 days the first of March to try and sign some FA's before the March 3rd deadline/cutoff? Otherwise, the draft will come first then we'll battle with everyone to try and fill in other needs -which could be in October or later.. No?

yeah, but...

There'll be no FA -as I understand it- until a new CBA is hammered out, which could take months. Are you saying we'll have 2-3 days the first of March to try and sign some FA's before the March 3rd deadline/cutoff? Otherwise, the draft will come first then we'll battle with everyone to try and fill in other needs -which could be in October or later.. No?

I'm saying free agency will be after the draft, then they can sign guys. It's different, but perhaps better because they can draft best player available and sign guys to fill their positions of need. They'd be competing with the other teams regardless.

My disagreement was with the statement that it hampered them in the draft, cause it doesn't, & that there are no good available free agents because 5 guys were tagged.

I'm saying free agency will be after the draft, then they can sign guys. It's different, but perhaps better because they can draft best player available and sign guys to fill their positions of need. They'd be competing with the other teams regardless.

My disagreement was with the statement that it hampered them in the draft, cause it doesn't, & that there are no good available free agents because 5 guys were tagged.

OK. At a minimum, it's very different than the usual. Normally, FA's hit the market March 1st. Teams try to address biggest needs with proven vets and have nearly 2 months in the market before they draft. This typical method then allows the draft to fill in remaining needs with no experienced, young studs. That won't likely be the case this year, forcing some teams to address their biggest needs with rookies that they otherwise would prefer to groom and may have further down on their draft boards.

No prob with your disagreement.

San Diego's draft history includs all of 1 pick (Marcus McNeill) used on an OT within the top 3 rounds from 01-07 while Buddy was there. It makes no sense to draft a RB 9th overall and then put former practice squad types, UDFA's, and late round picks at OT blocking for him.

A lot of people here said Jackson and Spiller had to fight for their yards, as evidenced by their paltry YPC average. Well, if they're serious about improving the run game, they'd better find a way to upgrade the OT situation. But this is a common theme in Buffalo: add a player at a skill position and then not support them with the linemen to help them. It's happened on both sides of the ball for better than a decade.

There may not be a top flight LT available, but this year's crop seems deep from the mid to late first into the second. It's a good time to find a RT and then they can replace Bell next season.

Tyron Smith from USC, is shooting up the draft boards. He has been rumored to go as high as 3 to Buffalo.. Oh no!!! Not another surprise pick.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see RT addressed in free agency, as there are a lot of guys that would be available (assuming, of course, that FA actually takes place). I'd take any of the following:

Jammal Brown

Tyson Clabo

Willie Colon

Doug Free

Ryan Harris

Jeremy Trueblood

There are a handful of FAs who weren’t franchised and who were already cut.

Our team already showed some interest in Bod Sanders, and we still could resign GW (my personal hope). Watch GW go to a much better team than ours and start, be a stud, and everyone here will cry about it). Shockey and Shaun Rodgers are also on the market. While all these guys aren’t the best, they are better than what we have and may be all we get a shot at. Nothing is stopping us from adding these guys before March 3rd.

I wont remember all their names, but the RTs from Denver Ryan Harris and Atlanta were not franchised. Neither was Blalock, Atlanta’s top G. . I think Matt Light is a FA too. Zach Miller, Kevin Boss, and Owen Daniels didn’t get the tag. Kiwinuka and Gaither are injured guys that didn’t get the tag. Charles Johnson is a great 43 DE who doesn’t really fit our “Scheme Diverse” approach but would be a great starting DE in our 43.

My point is there are plenty of guys out there to be had. Realistically we are only going to add 1 or 2 FAs whose name you will recognize anyways. I expect a CBA to get done in time for FA but Im not sure if the Bills will participate.

My vote is for MATT LIGHT at LT, move Bell to RT. He is a UFA and the rumor is that New England wants to move him for a younger faster LT. The Bills could get a huge upgrade with him. He never gets hurt (Bell was hurt ALL SEASON), tired, rarely gets beat, gives Tom Brady all day to throw. He has 10 years experience and let's face it: HE KNOWS THE SECRETS OF ALL THE PATRIOTS BLITZ-READING CHEATS!

My prediction: no OL drafted by the Bills with a top 100 pick. I don't see anything new about the front office rhetoric this year. OT is always talked about as a priority, and addressed via marginal free agents and late round picks.

What about Cullen Jenkins? This guy is a monster at 3-4 DE, and can play DT in 4-3. he can be had 5yrs=40mil.

This is the kind of player we need, he is also A big time leader in the locker room and on the field. then in the draft we can go best pass rusher at #3=Robert Quinn and the second round we can go with Taylor or Marvin Austin.

Pass rush solved Quinn,Merriman,Moats.

Run D solved Williams,Troup,Jenkins,Carrington and Taylor or Austin

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation that`s what we need. That`s what all the best Defenses have in the NFL. Pitt,GB,Jets,Balt,NE etc etc

My vote is for MATT LIGHT at LT, move Bell to RT. He is a UFA and the rumor is that New England wants to move him for a younger faster LT. The Bills could get a huge upgrade with him. He never gets hurt (Bell was hurt ALL SEASON), tired, rarely gets beat, gives Tom Brady all day to throw. He has 10 years experience and let's face it: HE KNOWS THE SECRETS OF ALL THE PATRIOTS BLITZ-READING CHEATS!

If Bell struggles to run block at LT facing RDE's, how we he fare against stouter LDE's as a RT? Bell is not a powerful blocker in the mold of a Jon Runyan type RT who moves people. He's more of a finesse blocker, and even at that not strong at the point of attack.

OK. At a minimum, it's very different than the usual. Normally, FA's hit the market March 1st. Teams try to address biggest needs with proven vets and have nearly 2 months in the market before they draft. This typical method then allows the draft to fill in remaining needs with no experienced, young studs. That won't likely be the case this year, forcing some teams to address their biggest needs with rookies that they otherwise would prefer to groom and may have further down on their draft boards.

No prob with your disagreement.

I think it might be good to force this franchise into a situation like this though. Chan Gailey and Co. cannot afford a luxury pick (call Spiller what you will) knowing that he has no idea when he might have a shot at some FA's. If anything, hopefully this will make them approach the draft thinking about players who can make immediate impacts in positions of glaring need in the event that the FA period is utter chaos (which it appears it might turn in to depending on if/when a new CBA is hammered out.)

Just food for thought...

The quality of the OT draft class reeks this year as the majority of them were getting humiliated by the defensive players of this draft (I am basing this off the senior bowl and one on one matches this year)

This is where our free agency dollars should be spent....RT and TE....this is a defensive draft and we should use as many picks as possible to pluck defensive talent and hold onto them.