Public Service Unions

3rdnlng

This was a Daily Events article today. I understand that no State Democratic Senators would show up for a vote today. I guess Wisconsin has a law that both parties need to be present for a vote. State Policemene were sent out looking for them.

John Hayward, Staff Writer 02.17.11

Today's Sponsor

Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin is grappling with a $3 billion budget shortfall. As with other bankrupt states, a big part of the problem comes from public employee union pensions and benefits. In his latest budget proposal, he asked Wisconsin public employees to contribute 5.8% toward their pensions, while state workers would have to pay 12.6% of their health insurance premiums. He also wants to trim back collective bargaining rights for public employees, which expanded greatly over the last two years of Democrat control.

Walker’s austerity measures have provoked insane fury from public union workers. The SEIU has gotten involved, helping to bring thousands of union supporters to protest at the state capitol, where they carried signs comparing Walker to Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak. Propagandist Michael Moore pitched in via Twitter, calling Wisconsin “the new Cairo” and urging union members to “shut the state down.”

Amazingly, public-school teachers staged a massive “sick out,” actually closing down public schools in Madison on Wednesday and Thursday because so many of them refused to show up for work. Some of them illegally dragged their students to political rallies. The teachers union has admitted it contacted teachers and encouraged them to skip out of class so they could attend the rallies. Given the political clout of education union bosses, it comes as no surprise when WUWM News in Milwaukee reports that Barack Obama’s Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, will be contacting Governor Walker to pressure him on behalf of the unions. The President is also said to be “monitoring” the situation.

The Wisconsin showdown is the inevitable result when insolvent state governments confront the unyielding demands of public unions. With outright exploitation of workers a thing of the past, especially in the public sector, the purpose of such a union is to extract greater compensation in exchange for political support. Benefit and pension commitments are the easiest way for politicians to pay off unions, since these promises don’t require immediate expenditures which might annoy taxpayers. When the commitments become unbearable, the union deploys its political weapons: protest rallies and strikes.

— John Hayward

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazingly, public-school teachers staged a massive "sick out," actually closing down public schools in Madison on Wednesday and Thursday because so many of them refused to show up for work.

Paid full-time for a half-year of work, and this is the thanks? If true, that's garbage.

This was a Daily Events article today. I understand that no State Democratic Senators would show up for a vote today. I guess Wisconsin has a law that both parties need to be present for a vote. State Policemene were sent out looking for them.

John Hayward, Staff Writer 02.17.11

Today's Sponsor

Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin is grappling with a $3 billion budget shortfall. As with other bankrupt states, a big part of the problem comes from public employee union pensions and benefits. In his latest budget proposal, he asked Wisconsin public employees to contribute 5.8% toward their pensions, while state workers would have to pay 12.6% of their health insurance premiums. He also wants to trim back collective bargaining rights for public employees, which expanded greatly over the last two years of Democrat control.

Walker’s austerity measures have provoked insane fury from public union workers. The SEIU has gotten involved, helping to bring thousands of union supporters to protest at the state capitol, where they carried signs comparing Walker to Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak. Propagandist Michael Moore pitched in via Twitter, calling Wisconsin “the new Cairo” and urging union members to “shut the state down.”

Amazingly, public-school teachers staged a massive “sick out,” actually closing down public schools in Madison on Wednesday and Thursday because so many of them refused to show up for work. Some of them illegally dragged their students to political rallies. The teachers union has admitted it contacted teachers and encouraged them to skip out of class so they could attend the rallies. Given the political clout of education union bosses, it comes as no surprise when WUWM News in Milwaukee reports that Barack Obama’s Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, will be contacting Governor Walker to pressure him on behalf of the unions. The President is also said to be “monitoring” the situation.

The Wisconsin showdown is the inevitable result when insolvent state governments confront the unyielding demands of public unions. With outright exploitation of workers a thing of the past, especially in the public sector, the purpose of such a union is to extract greater compensation in exchange for political support. Benefit and pension commitments are the easiest way for politicians to pay off unions, since these promises don’t require immediate expenditures which might annoy taxpayers. When the commitments become unbearable, the union deploys its political weapons: protest rallies and strikes.

— John Hayward

Walker should fire all of them, and close down the state.

See how they like that

It doesn't matter what side of the fight you come down on, this is single-handedly one of the most embarrassing things I've ever watched happen within a state.

And I live in California.

Something tells me the people of Wisconsin won't see these chickenschitt senators as Democrats or Republicans, but as cowards. Immature, spineless cowards. I'm not sure how any elected official survives this level of public cowardice.

It doesn't matter what side of the fight you come down on, this is single-handedly one of the most embarrassing things I've ever watched happen within a state.

And I live in California.

Something tells me the people of Wisconsin won't see these chickenschitt senators as Democrats or Republicans, but as cowards. Immature, spineless cowards. I'm not sure how any elected official survives this level of public cowardice.

The democratic senators are all going to claim that they didn't want to be forced to rush something through, that they wanted more debate on it. They won't be able to hide forever but they'll at least be able to tell their donors that they tried.

What part of there is no money left do they not get?

What part of they are free to quit their public worker job do they not get?

Everyone who left their jobs should all be fired. Plenty of people in the country looking for jobs who would gladly accept the private sector-like contribution of benefits.

They're acting like spoiled children, except they're adults acting with blatant disregard to the debt they're piling on their children and grandchildren.

Not to compare teachers to doctors, but a doctor is bound by hypocratic oath to help patients. Now, before I say what I am about to say, I have had great teachers and sht teachers. Some were truly dedicated to the students, some were just there to be on a mission and a dream, and some were still there to ride out their career and enjoy a great pension. I, also, attended school in Ohio, a heavily unionized state with a powerful collection of teachers unions.

If teachers are truly committed to teaching the children of this nation then they should not be willing to sacrafice what it is they provide to them. A doctor is to help a patient regardless of what that person will pay them, without prejudices of any kind. Why is it that these teachers feel so empowered to take what they provide away from the very reason they have a career?

Oh, wait, that is why the United States education is failing. The teachers in this country are failing, and - to be just as fair, it is a product of our political system. I think it is time to return the school systems to the community.

PS: There is a saying here in North Carolina, first in flight, 48th in education. It is true, too.

Ron Kind, Democratic congressman in Wisconsin, sent this letter to Walker. I highlighted the really annoying sections.

Dear Governor Walker,

I write today to ask you to withdraw your budget proposal to end collective bargaining for public employees. Our public employees are made up of tens of thousands of Wisconsin workers, working to make sure our state and its systems are fair, accountable and responsible to the people. We owe a debt of gratitude to all of them - the hard working nurses, public safety employees, and others who do selfless jobs like guaranteeing our children receive a quality public school education. Frankly, I’m offended at the recent suggestions that these public servants are the source of the problems facing our state.

Collective bargaining – the chance for employees to negotiate for fair wages with management – is key to our state’s success. It is a time-tested, reasonable process. And let’s be clear, public employees are not the reason state budgets are in trouble. We need to address the budget, but we can’t just fix it by cutting the salaries and robbing the retirement funds (Fez: The bill doesn't ask to cut salaries OR rob retirement funds; it just asks that employees contribute a few percent into their retirement funds) of our nurses, teachers, and public safety professionals.

The fact is, these very workers have shown an understanding and willingness to compromise and make sacrifices to benefit our great state. For example, late last year unions in Wisconsin sat down and negotiated a new contract that resulted in massive pay and benefit changes. This showed their readiness to be part of the solution to the budget challenges we face as a state. But instead of working with them to find solutions to current challenges, your proposal just shuts them out of the process altogether. Now is not the time to punish those employees who are working hard to provide for their families. These are people who have already made great sacrifices in order to keep our state safe, economically competitive and a place where I want to raise my family.

In fact, my two sons attend public school in La Crosse. I’m worried that by refusing to work with the teachers, you are directly impacting the quality of our schools and the education my two sons will receive. Now more than ever it’s critical that we recruit and retain qualified teachers in our classrooms. Isolating and demonizing them will only make that harder.

We’re all Wisconsinites and I know we can pull together to solve Wisconsin’s problems. That’s what we have always done best and that’s what our leaders must recognize. The only way we can move the state forward is by listening to each other and by working together. We must respect Wisconsin's workers and their contribution to the state and instead of blaming them, find real, practical solutions to our budget woes.

Sincerely,

Ron Kind

Member of Congress

Ron Kind, Democratic congressman in Wisconsin, sent this letter to Walker. I highlighted the really annoying sections.

Dear Governor Walker,

I write today to ask you to withdraw your budget proposal to end collective bargaining for public employees. Our public employees are made up of tens of thousands of Wisconsin workers, working to make sure our state and its systems are fair, accountable and responsible to the people. We owe a debt of gratitude to all of them - the hard working nurses, public safety employees, and others who do selfless jobs like guaranteeing our children receive a quality public school education. Frankly, I’m offended at the recent suggestions that these public servants are the source of the problems facing our state.

Collective bargaining – the chance for employees to negotiate for fair wages with management – is key to our state’s success. It is a time-tested, reasonable process. And let’s be clear, public employees are not the reason state budgets are in trouble. We need to address the budget, but we can’t just fix it by cutting the salaries and robbing the retirement funds (Fez: The bill doesn't ask to cut salaries OR rob retirement funds; it just asks that employees contribute a few percent into their retirement funds) of our nurses, teachers, and public safety professionals.

The fact is, these very workers have shown an understanding and willingness to compromise and make sacrifices to benefit our great state. For example, late last year unions in Wisconsin sat down and negotiated a new contract that resulted in massive pay and benefit changes. This showed their readiness to be part of the solution to the budget challenges we face as a state. But instead of working with them to find solutions to current challenges, your proposal just shuts them out of the process altogether. Now is not the time to punish those employees who are working hard to provide for their families. These are people who have already made great sacrifices in order to keep our state safe, economically competitive and a place where I want to raise my family.

In fact, my two sons attend public school in La Crosse. I’m worried that by refusing to work with the teachers, you are directly impacting the quality of our schools and the education my two sons will receive. Now more than ever it’s critical that we recruit and retain qualified teachers in our classrooms. Isolating and demonizing them will only make that harder.

We’re all Wisconsinites and I know we can pull together to solve Wisconsin’s problems. That’s what we have always done best and that’s what our leaders must recognize. The only way we can move the state forward is by listening to each other and by working together. We must respect Wisconsin's workers and their contribution to the state and instead of blaming them, find real, practical solutions to our budget woes.

Sincerely,

Ron Kind

Member of Congress

Dear Mr. Kind,

I don't see you lining up to take a pay cut, so shut the !@#$ up.

Dear Mr. Kind,

My thoughts exactly. Plus, how many kickbacks does he get? How many people drop favors in his pocket?

I guess, to be fair, a lot of teachers get gift cards to Ryans Steakhouse and baked goods for christmas... :wallbash:

Dear Governor Walker,

blah, blah, union liberal claptrap, yakkity blah blah.

Sincerely,

Ron Kind

Member of Congress

Fixed that for him.

The democratic senators are all going to claim that they didn't want to be forced to rush something through, that they wanted more debate on it.

Copycats, they got that from the Republicans who were complaining about the health insurance reform bill.

The fact that he wants to trim back collective bargaining rights for public employees is the worst part. Asking the teachers to give back benefits that were already negotiated and approved of by the state is one thing, but this attempt at busting the unions is too much. Time for the unions to push back and fight for the bargaining rights that people fought and died for in the 20th century. Conservatives claim to be for the workers and families, yet their emphasis is on busting unions and deregulating industry. Sounds like they're the ones who want to make the U.S. into China.

I'm still waiting for the job creation they promised would be their top priority. Yet the first thing my new Republican congresswoman did when she got to Washington was push anti-abortion legislation. :wallbash:

Dear Mr. Kind,

Dear Mr. Kind,

You're a cowardly piece of crap who has the spine of a wet mop head, so when the opportunity presents itself, please write back and explain why anyone should listen to a coward who runs away from his challenges.

Copycats, they got that from the Republicans who were complaining about the health insurance reform bill.

The fact that he wants to trim back collective bargaining rights for public employees is the worst part. Asking the teachers to give back benefits that were already negotiated and approved of by the state is one thing, but this attempt at busting the unions is too much. Time for the unions to push back and fight for the bargaining rights that people fought and died for in the 20th century. Conservatives claim to be for the workers and families, yet their emphasis is on busting unions and deregulating industry. Sounds like they're the ones who want to make the U.S. into China.

So the entire private sector is similar to working in China....? :unsure:

For those who want to see the real letter, here's the link:

http://kind.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=52&sectiontree=52&itemid=735

Dear Mr. Kind,

I don't see any of the people against the unions willing to cut their salaries, pensions, healthcare coverage, etc. We all know that many states are in trouble. How about they do some actual hard work and cut the wasteful spending, keep projects on schedule and at least on or under the scheduled budget, etc., etc. NOOOO, let's attack teachers (you know the people who educate our children) and other workers and their way of life.

Talk about making the tough decisions, how about they raise taxes a little bit or maybe the governor can take a pay cut? Instead of making $137,092 per year he should take a cut and make only $100,000.

I don't see any of the people against the unions willing to cut their salaries, pensions, healthcare coverage, etc. We all know that many states are in trouble. How about they do some actual hard work and cut the wasteful spending, keep projects on schedule and at least on or under the scheduled budget, etc., etc. NOOOO, let's attack teachers (you know the people who educate our children) and other workers and their way of life.

Talk about making the tough decisions, how about they raise taxes a little bit or maybe the governor can take a pay cut? Instead of making $137,092 per year he should take a cut and make only $100,000.

First, don't bring up the "educating our children" crappola. If it was about the children then giving back a few percentages from your paycheck wouldn't be made into such a catostrophic issue.

Second, our salaries in the private sector aren't paid off the backs of ordinary taxpayers. You know the ones who are completely tapped out!!!!!

This is ridiculous, there's literally no money left. What part of that do these public employees not get?

Oh yeah, he should cut his pay to save a whopping $37,000. THAT will fix all of Wisconsin's problems! :wallbash:

Wisconsin is already very highly taxed - 13th in the country I believe.

As for your first sentence -- my company just laid off 9% of the workforce yesterday. Another company I used to work for cut everyone's salary by 10% and cut the 401(k) matching to 0% (from 7%) awhile ago. The teachers just received a 3% pay INCREASE last year. How is that in line with the current economy?

Nobody's asking the teachers (or other public employees) to cut their salary. They're just being required (if the bill passes) to contribute 5% to their own pension and to pay a little more for their health insurance - FAR less than what the private sector pays.

The alternative, according to Walker, is to lay off over 6,000 employees.

Which sounds better?