County Executive Collins Confident About Extending Buffalo Bills Lease

DPR4444

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=109550

"BUFFALO, NY-- Erie County Executive Chris Collins says he's confident that the county and state can reach a new lease agreement with the Buffalo Bills, although he adds a new lease could include one additional game per season in Toronto.

As part of the current lease, the Bills will spend $2.8 million on upkeep at the stadium, which this year will include new turf.

The team's lease with the county expires in the summer of 2013.

"I'm firmly convinced they will remain the 'Buffalo Bills,'" said Collins.

Collins believes the Bills and the NFL have a good thing going in Western New York, with a stadium that's paid off and in good shape, and fans that continually support the team despite its bumbles, stumbles and fumbles.

Scott Brown: "Have you begun talks with the Bills?"

County Executive Collins: "I've had preliminary discussions, absolutely."

Collins says he and the Bills have agreed that serious negotiations won't begin until the league and the players' union come to a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, something which could still be months away."

Edited by DPR4444

2 regular season games in Toronto? :sick: Now, if the deal was they get all the preseason home games and we get all the real games, I'd be all for it. Actually, I think the NFL would be wise to have a majority or at least a significant percentage of the preseason games at neutral sites. Most season ticket holders I know have little to no interest in going to a preseason game and would rather not have to pay for them, and it would be a great way to expand the league's fanbase to have preseason games at neutral sites that are affordable for an average family of 4 that doesn't live close enough to an NFL team to see games live. JMO.

One thing that I'm really curious about is if Toronto is/has worked something into the contract that makes it so if anything happens to Ralph they are still obligated to play the games in Toronto. I'm basically thinking if someone came in and bought the team and planned on moving it in the next few years. If they had a 5 year contract would you think they would a)still want to/be able to move the team or b)just fly the team to Toronto twice a year.

Just thinking out loud.

From all his actions it appears that Collins main motivation is getting re-elected come November. In this context his statement and firm stance is not surprising since it cannot be proven wrong prior to the election.

Such expressions of confidence are good for him, cannot be proven wrong, but logically seem completely misplaced unless he is actually the person in control (which is Mr. Ralph).

2 regular season games in Toronto? :sick: Now, if the deal was they get all the preseason home games and we get all the real games, I'd be all for it. Actually, I think the NFL would be wise to have a majority or at least a significant percentage of the preseason games at neutral sites. Most season ticket holders I know have little to no interest in going to a preseason game and would rather not have to pay for them, and it would be a great way to expand the league's fanbase to have preseason games at neutral sites that are affordable for an average family of 4 that doesn't live close enough to an NFL team to see games live. JMO.

It wont happen....makes way to much sense

Didn't Ralph already say he would not sign anything that would complicate the selling of the Bills after his passing?

PTR

PTR, there is no mention at all in that article of there NOT being a buyout clause.

I promise you any lease negotiation will have a buyout.

That is why I don't understand why everyone is so excited about this.

It is better for the Bills to have SOMETHING in place...it gives them the option for more goodies.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

18 game season... 2 in Toronto?

I'm down.

Wake up!!!

Everyone keeps saying this but it's not like we have 18 home games. The purpose is to make one of the preseason games a regular season game. Right now, we have 1 preseason game home, 7 home games in Buffalo. Toronto gets 1 preseason game and 1 home game.

If this happens, Toronto doesn't get any more home games (they still get 2), but now the city of Buffalo gets locked into the preseason game each year, NOT Toronto. They pick up a regular season home game, and Buffalo doesn't.

This is a big deal. We have to pay $75/ticket for a preseason game. They get the regular season game at the same price as the preseason game they had before.

As far as I'm concerned, unless we get good at winning in Toronto, we are playing 7 home games, 11 road games. That doesn't sound like the recipe to get in the playoffs, and is AS important if not MORE important than whatever FA/draft picks we sign.

Wake up!!!

Everyone keeps saying this but it's not like we have 18 home games. The purpose is to make one of the preseason games a regular season game. Right now, we have 1 preseason game home, 7 home games in Buffalo. Toronto gets 1 preseason game and 1 home game.

If this happens, Toronto doesn't get any more home games (they still get 2), but now the city of Buffalo gets locked into the preseason game each year, NOT Toronto. They pick up a regular season home game, and Buffalo doesn't.

This is a big deal. We have to pay $75/ticket for a preseason game. They get the regular season game at the same price as the preseason game they had before.

As far as I'm concerned, unless we get good at winning in Toronto, we are playing 7 home games, 11 road games. That doesn't sound like the recipe to get in the playoffs, and is AS important if not MORE important than whatever FA/draft picks we sign.

i agree with the premise that playing in toronto is essentially a road game. i absolutely hate the 12th man taken away, i think the bills would have beaten chicago in the ralph with the crowd into it, possibly rattling cutler. that sterile atmosphere the past 3 years just makes my blood boil. i cannot stand the deal, despite what the pundits say concerning the long term viability, get it over with. they can make it without the toronto series.