The Bills cannot compete with this

Thoner7

High tek is cool but nothing beats an old school dungeon with poweracks, barbells, dumbbells and strong man equipment. If you need a fancy place to train how dedicated are you? It's all about attitude, take no prisoners, compete at all costs mind set that makes great training and champions.

And that why the athlete today is twice as good as 30 years ago?

For football, the program makes a minimum of $100,000/year (poorest program) per player in revenue with the richest programs earning close to $1million/player and depending on the school the kid gets $20-50k in scholarship $. So i think that you can justify paying the players something more as it essentially slave labor otherwise. These kids give up 40 hours/week in labor and may earn $20/hour while generating millions for a university. That seems unfair at the least.

If you believe your own numbers, then you should think about what it means to call $20/hour "slave wages."

Try selling that idea to 17 year old kids. Unlike us, not many kids will feel that way. Some, but not many.

sad but true

And that why the athlete today is twice as good as 30 years ago?

the athlete 30 yrs ago still didn't buy into weight training as evidence of their average physiques.

Kill that noise. Chris Speilman used to lift in a windowless, non-air conditioned sweatshop called the Torture Chamber. That's how you build toughness.

:thumbsup:

Kill that noise. Chris Speilman used to lift in a windowless, non-air conditioned sweatshop called the Torture Chamber. That's how you build toughness.

Spielman would have been at home in Guantanamo...

(I mean cos he is tough)

(I do not mean that he is a terrorist)

(sheesh)

I don't see much difference between that and the fieldhouse. Just kidding, what a recruiting tool that facility will be.

WOW - what the had last year brought them 6 & 6 but included the triple crown of victories over Tennessee Martin, Memphis and Alabama Birmingham.

Edited by CardinalScotts

yes i did, for track in the early 2000's, being from a dirt poor family and mostly being marginal talent forced to me go DIII in track as I wouldn't have been able to afford what the scholarship wouldn't cover (most NCAA D-1 sports offer partial scholarships). The facilities are much nicer than high school facilities and some of the visits you get to see the craziest sides of college. That said, even as a D-III athlete, I gave up 4 hours/day minimum for working out. Now I know my D-III school didn't make squat off of me, but had I run at a D-I school where the athletics program generates a ton, I'd be disappointed that I was getting no extra compensation beyond a partial scholarship (for track girls have 18 scholarships, guys have 12. Thanks misinterpretation of title 9).

For football, the program makes a minimum of $100,000/year (poorest program) per player in revenue with the richest programs earning close to $1million/player and depending on the school the kid gets $20-50k in scholarship $. So i think that you can justify paying the players something more as it essentially slave labor otherwise. These kids give up 40 hours/week in labor and may earn $20/hour while generating millions for a university. That seems unfair at the least.

I do see your point & understand the econimcs of the situation, but man you are setting a very dangerous precedent if you allow the athletes to be paid. Pretty interesting thing I heard about St John's. A guy was telling at the Mirage Saturday that back awhile ago, he mentioned when Mike Jarvis was coaching Johnies never had student housing so they were able to offer recruits like $2,500 a month or something like that. The guy was telling me it would give them a big recruiting edge because they would have the inside track on the NYC kids that could grab the money, stay at home with their parents & it was like they were getting paid. They said they got student housing about 6-7 years ago & it has kinda coincided with the downfall of St John's because they were no longer attracting the best NYC kids. Not sure if this story is true or not but I found it interesting & it does make sense. For years Johnies would always get these top flight NYC kids & I always thought if they were that good why would they want to play for St Johns.

Your misunderstanding of "slave labor" is astounding.

Edited by Captain Caveman