Glenn Beck slams William Gay for not putting hand on heart

boyst

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jboyst62, I gotta agree with treg99 on this one. I'm a lot older than you and when I was growing up whenever the National Anthem was played or sung we stood at attention, placed our right hand over our heart and sang. When in Little League we doffed our caps with our right hand and placed them over our heart while standing at attention and singing. That standard practice which was observed across the nation began to be relaxed beginning in the late 1960s when anti-war sentiments grew tremendously and morphed into anti-nationalism. That was the seedbed for much of the political animus that we're mired in today. IMHO.

Jesus, get a grip old fart. Stuckincincy couldn't top this.

A few follow ups, then I gotta get back to getting stuff done...

I appreciate Beck because he is able to form an opinion on something with some sort of knowledge and describe it fairly effectively. He is able to use his 1st Amendment right pretty well, as opposed to people like Sean Penn, Sarah Palin. What I do not like about him is that he is still a manipulative troll who makes everything political and is so able to play the victim role so easily when he is just as much the attacker as anyone else he opposes.

In Boy Scouts that was because we were in uniform.

We held our hand over our hands forthe pledge. For sports events we were in we usually stood with our hands behind our back, sometimes helmets over hearts, it varied for everyone. I do not ever remember learning there was a rule or law about how to salute the National Anthem. However, I did learn that you must always stand for it, unless you are a Jehovah's witness or something else I read.

Well, most people only have one heart. So he needed the extra hands.

I'm confused. I thought I had no heart at all.

A few follow ups, then I gotta get back to getting stuff done...

I appreciate Beck because he is able to form an opinion on something with some sort of knowledge and describe it fairly effectively. He is able to use his 1st Amendment right pretty well, as opposed to people like Sean Penn, Sarah Palin. What I do not like about him is that he is still a manipulative troll who makes everything political and is so able to play the victim role so easily when he is just as much the attacker as anyone else he opposes.

In Boy Scouts that was because we were in uniform.

We held our hand over our hands forthe pledge. For sports events we were in we usually stood with our hands behind our back, sometimes helmets over hearts, it varied for everyone. I do not ever remember learning there was a rule or law about how to salute the National Anthem. However, I did learn that you must always stand for it, unless you are a Jehovah's witness or something else I read.

I think someone need to explain the difference between, rule, law, etiquette and respect.

I think someone need to explain the difference between, rule, law, etiquette and respect.

Right. You can do whatever you want. It's at least polite to be quiet and stand but if you don't, your only consequence will to be socially shamed. Like going to Catholic Mass and not going up for communion, putting money in the pot, or knowing all the mumbo jumbo.

Right. You can do whatever you want. It's at least polite to be quiet and stand but if you don't, your only consequence will to be socially shamed. Like going to Catholic Mass and not going up for communion, putting money in the pot, or knowing all the mumbo jumbo.

But does that make it wrong? Surely, there are exceptions. Maybe you are out of work to pay your tides or you have a sore hip; but I am talking if just opting out of it, does that make it wrong?

Now, one step further, I can assume it has to do with morals. If you consider yourself a Catholic and decide you do not want to pay your tides does that mean you have lower morals in your faith?

I am honestly asking opinions and not looking to debate as much as understand viewpoints. Chef's comment has me thinking a little...

But does that make it wrong? Surely, there are exceptions. Maybe you are out of work to pay your tides or you have a sore hip; but I am talking if just opting out of it, does that make it wrong?

Now, one step further, I can assume it has to do with morals. If you consider yourself a Catholic and decide you do not want to pay your tides does that mean you have lower morals in your faith?

I am honestly asking opinions and not looking to debate as much as understand viewpoints. Chef's comment has me thinking a little...

The word is tithes, not tides :wallbash:

...well...that's pretty bad. The excuse that I do not go to church isn't good enough. :oops:

Don't worry. The tides will come in and the tides will go out regardless if you pay them or not. I have a question for you non-believers. If the churches can raise tides, do you think that there just might be something behind religion?

When will we be done with this guy?

Somehow I've managed to live my entire life without ever hearing Glen Beck offer an opinion about anything.

We should all strive to be more like Nick Notle in that regard. He was the Prince of Tides.

Let me preface this by saying I never watch or listen to Beck, but this is how you can tell a person is just rambling for the sake of taking a partisan swipe at someone. You hear it a lot from people who try to debate a Rush Limbaugh topic. It's never "Rush was wrong because of these facts." It's always "How can you believe anything that comes out of that overweight Oxycodone-draining windbag?"

You'll note how he's "pretty sure" you don't have to put your hand over your heart, but he's damn sure that Beck is a "substance abusing morning zoo keeper" and that "putting your face in a bowl of powder" equates to someone being patriotic

it is entirely appropriate to criticize hypocrisy. btw, these two take plenty of liberties with the facts and that's well documented. of course, they demonize the sites that do the documenting, doing much the same as you accuse jboys of. lastly, rush is fat.

it is entirely appropriate to criticize hypocrisy. btw, these two take plenty of liberties with the facts and that's well documented. of course, they demonize the sites that do the documenting, doing much the same as you accuse jboys of. lastly, rush is fat.

Rush is right 99.4% of the time.

Or it might just mean it's a high tide, and you're waiting for it to ebb. The tide is high, but you're holding on, so to speak...