Two franchises looking for a new Head Coach...

SDS

What makes the Packers so strong John?

Starting off, its GM, Ted Thompson, and his scouting department. The results are obvious. The franchise is just a well run organization. The Steelers and the Packers are the models that the Bills should follow. How many coaching and organizational changes have they made compared to the chaotic Bills?

These two franchises have demonstrated that you can be fiscally responsible and still compete at a high level. I'm surprised you have figured out something that is so basic.

McCarthy thought Alex Smith was the better choice between Rodgers/Smith, hahaha. So confident in Rodgers that they drafted Brohm! Sometimes things just work out.

Jauron should have never been hired, but McCarthy would've probably suffered the same fate here without a good front office to make decisions for him.

Or maybe he's just a very good HC.

Look, how have our last 3 HCs doen as HCs since they joined better front offices? Oh, yeah--none of them have been chosen as HCs again, despite countless openings. No other team believes that any one of these guys is worthy--only Ralphus did.

This "BR and Rodgers would have been like Losman" (because of the front office? HC?) is nonsense---wishful thinking for guys looking to bury their misguided endless support of JPL pick or their unwavering support of any and all stupid moves by this team over tha past 15 plus years.

Edited by Mr. WEO

It's about organizational competency, past and present. If you don't understand that, you understand nothing.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/News/2011/02/07/17188431.html

We fans understand all of it. There are just a few that get perverse pleasure in rolling around in their misery like hogs in muck. For some folks if they didn't feel pain they wouldn't feel anything at all. Sad.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We fans understand all of it. There are just a few that get perverse pleasure in rolling around in their misery like hogs in muck. For some folks if they didn't feel pain they wouldn't feel anything at all. Sad.

PTR

You clones are all alike. While you claim to understand your postings indicate otherwise. The muck you are alluding to is not coming from its fanbase. You simply have not figured out the source of the crap.

You clones are all alike. While you claim to understand your postings indicate otherwise. The muck you are alluding to is not coming from its fanbase. You simply have not figured out the source of the crap.

Clones? Like people who go around saying the same crap over and over? Like people who have nothing better to do than cry over stuff that happened years ago and can't let go?

Like I said, some people can't feel anything but pain and misery and need to drag everyone down to their level. You and your toad friends have fun pouring salt in your wounds over then next couple of months. Meanwhile those of us with some joy in our lives will find other outlets.

PTR

Yes, I'm sure everyone was thinking McCarthy was going to be a great HC'ing prospect, coming off that 2005 season as 49ers' OC where they ranked last in yards and 3rd last in points scored. Even his time in NO as OC saw him lead the offense to 1 top-5 finish in his 5 seasons there, with the rest being middle of the pack.

As for Rodgers, 23 teams passed on him, and the Bills selected a QB in the 1st round the year before. But yes, hindsight IS great.

Seriously. I love hindsight too. McCarthy was a surprise coaching hire. Don't forget that Pack need to win their last 2 games to even get into the playoffs. People were questioning McCarthy a lot this year.

But now that he wins the SB, he is the greatest coach ever. Plus, Brett Farve & Rodgers only slightly better than Losman & Edwards. :thumbsup:

McCarthy was hired, as I remember, because Favre liked him. It was otherwise a widely-questioned move at the time, and credit is due to Ted Thompson for selling a great coach to Brett F. Or he got lucky with the coach and was a hell of a drafter.

Actually as I recall it Farve was going nuts because he wanted Steve Mariucci as HC, then got even more pissed when his OC left GB and went to Minnesota. The final straw for Farve was when Randy Moss went on the open market and the Packers didn't make a move for him.

To the OP, it is highly doubtful the Bills would have even considered unknown Mike McCarthy at that time. The guy the Bills did consider and who actually had an interview with GM Marv Levy was Mike Sherman. The guy who was just fired as HC of the Packers before McCarthy, Levy stated after the interview that Sherman "knocked his socks off" with a great interview. My thinking is that Levy wanted the HC gig himself so he nudged owner Ralph Wilson into hiring Dick Jauron. Perhaps Levy thought that Wilson would come begging him to take over the HCing job after a year or so. In any event, Marv screwed his old team while GM with that horrid choice of Dick Jauron for HC. Thanks Marv, :censored:

Mike Sherman 57-39 and 2-4 in postseason. He was hired in GB in 2000 and took the team to 4 consecutive winning seasons as HC and 3 consecutive NFC north division titles. If he had a flaw at the time, it was that he took over as GM in 2001 and was both GM and HC. In 2004 the team, hired GM Ted Thompson away from Seattle and became the Packers new GM. Sherman remained HC in 05 but the the team went 4-12 due to many injuries and he was fired.

Look, how have our last 3 HCs doen as HCs since they joined better front offices? Oh, yeah--none of them have been chosen as HCs again, despite countless openings.

We could just as easily turn this question around and ask what Losman and Edwards have done since leaving Buffalo, with both bearing far more responsibility for the Bills being so crappy lately than the HCs.

I do like Mike McCarthy however, but he's coaching a team with an elite QB, elite WR's, an elite TE, an elite NT, an elite edge rusher, and an elite cornerback tandem-that's a whole lot of elite.

We could just as easily turn this question around and ask what Losman and Edwards have done since leaving Buffalo, with both bearing far more responsibility for the Bills being so crappy lately than the HCs.

I do like Mike McCarthy however, but he's coaching a team with an elite QB, elite WR's, an elite TE, an elite NT, an elite edge rusher, and an elite cornerback tandem-that's a whole lot of elite.

So was Marv Levy (a far moe elite team) and he couldn't win one SB.

As for turning the question around, it proves the same point--they were crappy starting QBs. The other guys are crappy HCs--leaving Buffalo for more competent teams has not gotten them jobs as HCs. The market has spoken.

I like McCarthy, but GB's success is mainly due to a GM who has found a way to acquire solid, productive depth in a climate where that's not supposed to be possible. Three years ago Brett Favre looked at the young talent on that team and called it the most talented team he's ever been a part of. That played a big role in his decision to un-retire.