Greenbay had best draft

According to Draftek Greenbay had the best draft...

The Green Bay Packer! Give Ted Thopmson and the Green Bay talent evaluators a ton of credit. Drafting in the 20's in each round, they found 6 players among their 7 draft picks who have contibuted to their Super Bowl appearance. Bryan Bulaga started things off. He holds down the starting RT spot for the Pack. 2nd Rounder DL Mike Neal saw extensive rotation time in 2 games prior to ending the season early on IR. Same story for 3rd rounder Morgan Burnett - a starter in the first 4 games at SS prior to a season ending injury. In the 5th, Green Bay added TE Andrew Quarless - he was thrown into the fire when starter Jermichael Finley went down. The 6th round brought playoff hero RB James Starks . Their final pick, DE CJ Wilson was also placed into service via injury to the mainline. Wilson appeared in 15 games (277 snaps) - great contribution for a 7th rounder.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Draftek Greenbay had the best draft...

The Green Bay Packer! Give Ted Thopmson and the Green Bay talent evaluators a ton of credit. Drafting in the 20's in each round, they found 6 players among their 7 draft picks who have contibuted to their Super Bowl appearance. Bryan Bulaga started things off. He holds down the starting RT spot for the Pack. 2nd Rounder DL Mike Neal saw extensive rotation time in 2 games prior to ending the season early on IR. Same story for 3rd rounder Morgan Burnett - a starter in the first 4 games at SS prior to a season ending injury. In the 5th, Green Bay added TE Andrew Quarless - he was thrown into the fire when starter Jermichael Finley went down. The 6th round brought playoff hero RB James Starks . Their final pick, DE CJ Wilson was also placed into service via injury to the mainline. Wilson appeared in 15 games (277 snaps) - great contribution for a 7th rounder.

This is where I struggle when "Old Timers" tell us we need 2-3 years to evaluate a draft class and young players need time.

I'm sure all of GB's young rookies struggled at times and made mistakes and I'm sure they will all improve - but they also all contributed significantly to a team with playoff hopes (the eventual SB champion).

So why exactly is it that GB can score 6 for 7 on quality draft picks who contribute (at least to some extent) their rookie year, while our class struggles to sniff the field?

This is where I struggle when "Old Timers" tell us we need 2-3 years to evaluate a draft class and young players need time.

I'm sure all of GB's young rookies struggled at times and made mistakes and I'm sure they will all improve - but they also all contributed significantly to a team with playoff hopes (the eventual SB champion).

So why exactly is it that GB can score 6 for 7 on quality draft picks who contribute (at least to some extent) their rookie year, while our class struggles to sniff the field?

I can't argue with your findings but I will take a bit of exception to your conclusion.

The fact is that not only did Green Bay have a phenomenal draft and put our draft to shame…but they did the same to most of rest of the league.

No doubt that the Bills have to draft much better if they are to have any hopes of success.

But the draft is a bit of a crapshoot and even teams that traditionally draft well have bad drafts. And even proven expert GMs like Bill Polian and Ozzie Newsome have had bad drafts.

Kudos to the Packers indeed. They do exceedingly well in an area where most teams struggle much of the time.

I have said before that it amazes me that until recently coaches weren't getting paid much at all compared to players - that a team would go out and spend tens of millions of dollars a year on players, but would balk at paying a H.C. more than 5 or 6 million (until recenlty). But, one player making 10 million a year (Larry Fitzgerald, for instance) makes far less impact than one of the few 10 million a year coaches would.

Here is another perfect example - if I'm building a team, I go out and spend - even if it's millions - on a guy or a few excellent guys who know how to draft. Having consistent good drafts will keep a team always in contention - once they get good, anyway, it is usually a matter of only replacing 3 or 4 starters a year; you can do that in a good draft year in and out.

All I'm really saying is, for the NFL to be as big as it is, it is surprising there isn't more emphasis paid to mastering the drafting process.

I have said before that it amazes me that until recently coaches weren't getting paid much at all compared to players - that a team would go out and spend tens of millions of dollars a year on players, but would balk at paying a H.C. more than 5 or 6 million (until recenlty). But, one player making 10 million a year (Larry Fitzgerald, for instance) makes far less impact than one of the few 10 million a year coaches would.

Here is another perfect example - if I'm building a team, I go out and spend - even if it's millions - on a guy or a few excellent guys who know how to draft. Having consistent good drafts will keep a team always in contention - once they get good, anyway, it is usually a matter of only replacing 3 or 4 starters a year; you can do that in a good draft year in and out.

All I'm really saying is, for the NFL to be as big as it is, it is surprising there isn't more emphasis paid to mastering the drafting process.

I couldn't agree more.

I always thought it was weird that the Cincinnati Bengals were always criticized for being cheap and having a very small scouting department.

It always seemed counter-intuitive to me that a team like Cincinnati didn't have a large and well-paid scouting department to offset the fact that they don't aggressively pursue free agents and that they often lose players after their first contract expires.

Like you suggest, it seems like smaller revenue clubs should invest more heavily in scouting and player development than the big clubs do.

I watched the Superbowl and I kept thinking why are both of these teams there. Simple. Both teams draft well!!!! and neither team goes and trys to buy their way thru free agency either!!! If you look at the draft of both teams and compare the draft of Bills of the past decade you can see the Packer's and Steeler's scouts have a great eye for talent.They make the most of their drafts.Why is it the Bills can't draft nearly as well??? Someone needs to tell Ralph Wilson .... You need some new SCOUTS !!!!!

Edited by Rob T from OP

I wouldn't be pissed that we passed on Bulaga if not for the fact that this board was overwhelmingly on board with a Bulaga pick. GMs can't be faulted for missing the Tom Bradys of the world in the 6th round. But they flatly MUST do better than some guys on the internet.

green bay manages to get 2-3 players out of each draft and then knocked 2009's draft out of the park with raji and matthews. not to mention having an elite qb with a nice set of wr's.

Who they also acquired through the draft (in different years). They won the SB without their second best offensive weapon (Finley), a total of 16 players on IR, lost a couple key players early in the SB and they still managed to find a way to win.

Sour grapes I suppose, but McCarthy should have won CotY.

Who they also acquired through the draft (in different years). They won the SB without their second best offensive weapon (Finley), a total of 16 players on IR, lost a couple key players early in the SB and they still managed to find a way to win.

Sour grapes I suppose, but McCarthy should have won CotY.

they just manage to draft solid players and get immediate production out of those players. also, great coaching can manage to get more out of those prospects and bringing in wanny i think will help us over the next couple years.

I watched the Superbowl and I kept thinking why are both of these teams there. Simple. Both teams draft well!!!! and neither team goes and trys to buy their way thru free agency either!!! If you look at the draft of both teams and compare the draft of Bills of the past decade you can see the Packer's and Steeler's scouts have a great eye for talent.They make the most of their drafts.Why is it the Bills can't draft nearly as well??? Someone needs to tell Ralph Wilson .... You need some new SCOUTS !!!!!

What you say is true, but there is another reason the Steelers were in the Super Bowl-Stevie "Stonehand" Johnson. Just think about it, if Johnson doesn't drop a perfectly thrown game winning touchdown the Steelers are a Wild Card instead of a division winner, they don't play at home, probably at all in the playoffs and they for sure wouldn't have had a first round bye. That drop changed the entire NFL season, at least from the AFC side of it. Sure the Steelers might have still gotten there but it is doubtful.

I wouldn't be pissed that we passed on Bulaga if not for the fact that this board was overwhelmingly on board with a Bulaga pick. GMs can't be faulted for missing the Tom Bradys of the world in the 6th round. But they flatly MUST do better than some guys on the internet.

Some of our internet guys are drafting players now?

I did not realize that scouts chose the players instead of the GM. Why do we have a GM again?

What you say is true, but there is another reason the Steelers were in the Super Bowl-Stevie "Stonehand" Johnson. Just think about it, if Johnson doesn't drop a perfectly thrown game winning touchdown the Steelers are a Wild Card instead of a division winner, they don't play at home, probably at all in the playoffs and they for sure wouldn't have had a first round bye. That drop changed the entire NFL season, at least from the AFC side of it. Sure the Steelers might have still gotten there but it is doubtful.

I agree, the Steelers were probably the third best team in the AFC and that drop gave them a very favorable path to the SB. I'm glad the Steelers made it and not the Pats or Jets, but in reality I think the Pats or Jets would have both beaten the Packers. Not to take anything from GB, they were far and away the most talented team in the NFC but Pittsburgh did not represent the AFC well yesterday and they would have finished third in the AFC East if they were in it this past year.

THIS is what great contributions from late rounds is all about.

The "people" on this board who think Tom Modrak gets good production out of his late picks are way off base.

Good scouting operations get solid contributors EVERY 1st round pick and are able to fill out the roster with starters in the last three rounds.

We land a Stevie Johnson in the 7th ONE YEAR and everyone forgets the 30 other busts in these slots taken the other 10 years of Modrak drafts.

Key word. Why would Zombo be included in a list of best draft when he wasnt drafted? Am I missing something here? <_<

Read what the OP posted. The UFA isn't listed...he was brought up to bolster the thought that the GB talen evaluators know what they are doing.

No, dude, we were all set at RT thanks to the Cornell Green signing.

He was the best tackle available in free agency according to several geniuses on this message board.