Bills get their revenge on Titans...maybe....

Buftex

Reading that article, I come away more disgusted with anything as politically correct and moronic as the Rooney Rule.

Looking at the list of teams Fewell interviewed with, you know that atleast two of those were fluff interviews set up to simply satisfy the Rule, and not because Fewell was a serious candidate.

I think rules like this do more disservice to all involved; particularly those they are intended to serve.

Let a man be interviewed and hired based solely on credentials, not have to entertain formalities to get what is really wanted.

I'd be insulted if I was Fewell.

I don't know. I just get the impression that the Rooney Rule is a front to appear diverse.

Same thing with Leslie Frazier last year.

Reading that article, I come away more disgusted with anything as politically correct and moronic as the Rooney Rule.

Looking at the list of teams Fewell interviewed with, you know that atleast two of those were fluff interviews set up to simply satisfy the Rule, and not because Fewell was a serious candidate.

I think rules like this do more disservice to all involved; particularly those they are intended to serve.

Let a man be interviewed and hired based solely on credentials, not have to entertain formalities to get what is really wanted.

I don't know. I just get the impression that the Rooney Rule is a front to appear diverse.

Yeah, the Rooney rule smacks a lot of being PC and I don't like that. However, it IS working. More AA coaching prospects getting interviewed and more AA coaches are getting hired.

Remember, all it does is help ensure people get interviews. If they show well at the interview they may get hired. If you can't even get the interview, you surely can't get hired. It's opportunity, folks. That's all it is: just an opportunity to shine.

When I look at it from that perspective I don't mind it so much.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6083090

I would assume, Greggo would have the upper hand...given his ties to the organization...

Here's an interesting excerpt from your article: "Mularkey coached the Bills in 2004-05, going 14-18 over two seasons. He succeeded Williams, who went 17-31 over three seasons in Buffalo from 2001-03. Fewell was elevated from defensive coordinator to interim coach for the Bills in 2009 after Dick Jauron was fired. He went 3-4 to finish the season."

That's a 34-53 combined head coaching record these 3 guys led the Bills to. Based on that, why would any of them be considered for a head coaching position today, when there are so many assistant NFL coaches who have never been given their first chance to succeed at that level yet?

The only one of the three I would consider if I was the Titan's owner and / or GM would be Fewell. It was almost miraculous that he got 3 wins out of those last 7 games he mopped up for Jauron for, and I think he does deserve his first chance to be a real head coach. But forget the other two. There are only 32 of these jobs in the world, and Williams and Mularkey got their chances. You will never find the next Mike Tomlin or Mike Smith if you keep recycling coordinators back into head coaches after they were head coaches before. Of course, if good ol' boy Chan leads the Bills to a SB Championship, I will be more then happy to retract that humble opinion! :w00t:

+1 Fewell is the new ted cottrell without the defensive success cottrell had.

Here's an interesting excerpt from your article: "Mularkey coached the Bills in 2004-05, going 14-18 over two seasons. He succeeded Williams, who went 17-31 over three seasons in Buffalo from 2001-03. Fewell was elevated from defensive coordinator to interim coach for the Bills in 2009 after Dick Jauron was fired. He went 3-4 to finish the season."

That's a 34-53 combined head coaching record these 3 guys led the Bills to. Based on that, why would any of them be considered for a head coaching position today, when there are so many assistant NFL coaches who have never been given their first chance to succeed at that level yet?

The only one of the three I would consider if I was the Titan's owner and / or GM would be Fewell. It was almost miraculous that he got 3 wins out of those last 7 games he mopped up for Jauron for, and I think he does deserve his first chance to be a real head coach. But forget the other two. There are only 32 of these jobs in the world, and Williams and Mularkey got their chances. You will never find the next Mike Tomlin or Mike Smith if you keep recycling coordinators back into head coaches after they were head coaches before. Of course, if good ol' boy Chan leads the Bills to a SB Championship, I will be more then happy to retract that humble opinion! :w00t:

Bill Belicheck with the Browns: 36-42. I am not a fan of Greggo or Meathead, and Jauron has had two chances to fail miserably, but many teams will rationalize that past failures were not all the fault of the coach. Certainly in the case of the Bills you could lay some blame at the organization's feet. To me that doesn't make these guys good coaches, but it does give a prospective employer a reason to dig more deeply.

I do not think Fewell will be considered a "mistake." In retrospect I wonder what kind of team we might have had with Fewell as HC and Gailey as asst head coach and OC.

I'm sure Fewell would have had "his guys," too. I doubt Gailey would have come in under that situation. Rookie coach with lots to learn; coordinators usually take heat before the HC, but HC's usually get the credit if they instantly succeed.

I just read on SI

Titans to interview Mularkey, Fewell; Williams out

After the Titans received permission to talk with Williams, he later withdrew his name from consideration.

"The timing is just not right," Williams told ESPN.com. "I love the organization, I love the city of Nashville. It's just not the right timing this time."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/super-bowl-2011/02/02/titans-coaching-search.ap/index.html#ixzz1D0nTiQXY

further in ....

He was seen as a top candidate for Fisher to bring Williams back as his defensive coordinator in 2009. But Williams wanted to bring his son, Blake, with him, and Titans owner Bud Adams has a policy against nepotism for his team.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Yeah, the Rooney rule smacks a lot of being PC and I don't like that. However, it IS working. More AA coaching prospects getting interviewed and more AA coaches are getting hired.

Remember, all it does is help ensure people get interviews. If they show well at the interview they may get hired. If you can't even get the interview, you surely can't get hired. It's opportunity, folks. That's all it is: just an opportunity to shine.

When I look at it from that perspective I don't mind it so much.

+1

I am sure that no NFL coach has been hired, simply because he is African American...just as I am sure many qualiified African Americans never received interviews, because of the color of their skin. Political Correctness doesn't always have to be a bad thing. This is one case, IMO, where it has worked, to a positive end. If a man should be hired solely on his credentials for a job, somebody has to give him a chance to get credentials. I will be glad when this is not an issue at all...

Edited by Buftex