Whaley + Wannstedt = Better Defense

symbiant

Whaley has a history of drafting big defensive studs. And now Wannstedt is in the picture.

Things are looking up.

It would seem that we will be focusing on getting better on defense this year by drafting the right playmaker... not necessarily drafting quantity.

Still, that might not mean we won't go offense in round 1.

Saw this article about Whaley & Pitt drafting and it gave me some hope:

"Pittsburgh does not draft more for defense than other teams. In fact, they probably draft for defense less. Since 2000, Pittsburgh has drafted for defense on just 30 out of 69 picks — or 43 percent. If you take the top three rounds, the Steelers have drafted for defense 50 percent — 13 of 26 — since 2000. They draft well, so they don’t have to keep re-tracing their steps on defense."

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/12/22/699394/getting-to-know-a-gm-doug

Whaley has a history of drafting big defensive studs. And now Wannstedt is in the picture.

Things are looking up.

It would seem that we will be focusing on getting better on defense this year by drafting the right playmaker... not necessarily drafting quantity.

Still, that might not mean we won't go offense in round 1.

Saw this article about Whaley & Pitt drafting and it gave me some hope:

"Pittsburgh does not draft more for defense than other teams. In fact, they probably draft for defense less. Since 2000, Pittsburgh has drafted for defense on just 30 out of 69 picks — or 43 percent. If you take the top three rounds, the Steelers have drafted for defense 50 percent — 13 of 26 — since 2000. They draft well, so they don’t have to keep re-tracing their steps on defense."

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/12/22/699394/getting-to-know-a-gm-doug

Whaley is in charge of PRO Personnel, and I believe that's what he helped run at Pittsburgh. Not sure how this translates to the draft.

My wish list:

1st pick - Fairly, Dareus or Bowers. As much as I want a QB, the D line needs the most help.

2nd pick - It would be nice to be able to get Cam Newton but we would most likely have to make a trade to get back into the first round. I might be willing to give up our 2nd round pick and one of our 4th round picks to trade up to get him but it takes 2 to trade like that. If we can't get Newton then I might go with Castana if available or back to a Defensive player, a DT or LB.

3rd pick - If we don't get Newton as stated above I would like Kaepernick or Mallett here. I was a huge Mallett fan but now like Newton and Kaepernick more but would be happy with any of them at this point. I don't like Ponder or Locker. I hope we keep Levi and let Brohm go but am going to trust Chan to make the best call here. If we are able to get Newton, I would want to add an OT or OG here.

4th pick - Add another LB.

5 - 7 We can look at a big & tall TE with good hands (I still like Andre Smith from VT) then the rest of the picks on D.

I'm not being too specific on a lot of these but there are just a few names that I would actually buy a jersey for, if drafted by the Bills. For example, Jordan would be another great addition to the Bills.

Edited by BuffaloFan68

My wish list:

1st pick - Fairly, Dareus or Bowers. As much as I want a QB, the D line needs the most help.

2nd pick - It would be nice to be able to get Cam Newton but we would most likely have to make a trade to get back into the first round. I might be willing to give up our 2nd round pick and one of our 4th round picks to trade up to get him but it takes 2 to trade like that. If we can't get Newton then I might go with Castana if available or back to a Defensive player, a DT or LB.

3rd pick - If we don't get Newton as stated above I would like Kaepernick or Mallett here. I was a huge Mallett fan but now like Newton and Kaepernick more but would be happy with any of them at this point. I don't like Ponder or Locker. I hope we keep Levi and let Brohm go but am going to trust Chan to make the best call here. If we are able to get Newton, I would want to add an OT or OG here.

4th pick - Add another LB.

5 - 7 We can look at a big & tall TE with good hands (I still like Andre Smith from VT) then the rest of the picks on D.

I'm not being too specific on a lot of these but there are just a few names that I would actually buy a jersey for, if drafted by the Bills. For example, Jordan would be another great addition to the Bills.

LOL @ Castana...Seriously people. It's Anthony Castonzo and no, he won't make it out of the 1st round. LOL @ Mallett even being available in the 3rd round.

LOL @ Castana...Seriously people. It's Anthony Castonzo and no, he won't make it out of the 1st round. LOL @ Mallett even being available in the 3rd round.

You're right. I like Quinn and some of the other big names too but they won't fall to us in the later rounds either, aka... the title "wish list". Perhaps I should have called it the "dreaming list"

Edited by BuffaloFan68

I wouldn't be so sure bangarang. Although Costonzo was rated as one of the top OT prospects at the beginning of the season, his draft stock has steadily declined over the course of the season. This, couple with a horrendous performance at the senior bowl, may knock him out of the 1st round. Personally, based on what I've seen from him, I wouldn't touch him if he were available in the 2nd.

I wouldn't be so sure bangarang. Although Costonzo was rated as one of the top OT prospects at the beginning of the season, his draft stock has steadily declined over the course of the season. This, couple with a horrendous performance at the senior bowl, may knock him out of the 1st round. Personally, based on what I've seen from him, I wouldn't touch him if he were available in the 2nd.

I want to respond to this post without insulting your intelligence. But I just don't think I can.

I want to respond to this post without insulting your intelligence. But I just don't think I can.

Go ahead and give it a shot Mr. Pretentious A%&hole. Was it my misspelling of Anthony Castonzo's name, or my assessment of his draft potential? Since you're such an expert, then tell me what is so silly about my opinion.

BTW...I have noticed several of your posts where you chide people for misspelling player's names. Do you have a compulsive need to feel superior to other people, or are you just a stickler for spelling? I suspect the former.

Go ahead and give it a shot Mr. Pretentious A%&hole. Was it my misspelling of Anthony Castonzo's name, or my assessment of his draft potential? Since you're such an expert, then tell me what is so silly about my opinion.

BTW...I have noticed several of your posts where you chide people for misspelling player's names. Do you have a compulsive need to feel superior to other people, or are you just a stickler for spelling? I suspect the former.

There seems to be a common theme around here lately, where people are evaluating players based on what they saw at the Senior Bowl practices/game. It's rather annoying when people praise players that they want the Bills to draft, yet don't even know their names. Castonzo has been given a 1st round grade this entire season and all of a sudden you say you wouldn't even touch him with our 2nd round pick? That in and of itself is what's so silly about your opinion. Kind of like how Orakpo fell to our pick and our management decided they were too smart and went with Maybin.

And just for the record, I have a compulsive need to feel superior and be a stickler for spelling.

There seems to be a common theme around here lately, where people are evaluating players based on what they saw at the Senior Bowl practices/game. It's rather annoying when people praise players that they want the Bills to draft, yet don't even know their names. Castonzo has been given a 1st round grade this entire season and all of a sudden you say you wouldn't even touch him with our 2nd round pick? That in and of itself is what's so silly about your opinion. Kind of like how Orakpo fell to our pick and our management decided they were too smart and went with Maybin.

And just for the record, I have a compulsive need to feel superior and be a stickler for spelling.

1. You're assuming that I'm basing my evaluation of Castonzo solely upon his performance in the senior bowl. Wrong.

2. My opinion of Castonzo, is just that....my opinion. There is no justification for you to "insult my intelligence" just because your opinion differs.

3. What the hell does drafting Maybin instead of Orakpo have to do with my opinion of Castonzo? It's not my fault that the Bills drafted Maybin.

4. I think you're in love with this Castonzo guy.

5. I suspect that the narcissistic tone of your posts evidences some type of repressed emotional pain. Just because you were a pizza-faced nerd in high school, and you're still a virgin, doesn't give you the right to berate people on internet message boards. Go beat your dog or something :thumbsup:

1. You're assuming that I'm basing my evaluation of Castonzo solely upon his performance in the senior bowl. Wrong.

2. My opinion of Castonzo, is just that....my opinion. There is no justification for you to "insult my intelligence" just because your opinion differs.

3. What the hell does drafting Maybin instead of Orakpo have to do with my opinion of Castonzo? It's not my fault that the Bills drafted Maybin.

5. I suspect that the narcissistic tone of your posts evidences some type of repressed emotional pain. Just because you were a pizza-faced nerd in high school, and you're still a virgin, doesn't give you the right to berate people on internet message boards. Go beat your dog or something :thumbsup:

You forgot to mention that he still lives in his mother's basement.

Not entirely. But it's pretty obvious that the Senior Bowl played a part in your opinion to the point where you said you wouldn't touch him even if he fell to the 2nd round.

Once again, your opinion on saying you wouldn't touch an obvious 1st round talent and future franchise LT in the 2nd round (if he even fell that far) is an unintelligent statement. I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion. I was just merely pointing out how absurd your opinion was.

Once again, you stating that you wouldn't even touch Castonzo in the 2nd round is some kind of "We're the Bills and we're smarter than everyone else" type of thinking that has lead this team to draft some pretty craptastic players over the years.

Not really.

The irony of this last point (if you could even call it that) is funny. I can't imagine why anyone would question your intelligence after such an ignorant statement. Kudos.

Not entirely. But it's pretty obvious that the Senior Bowl played a part in your opinion to the point where you said you wouldn't touch him even if he fell to the 2nd round.

Once again, your opinion on saying you wouldn't touch an obvious 1st round talent and future franchise LT in the 2nd round (if he even fell that far) is an unintelligent statement. I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion. I was just merely pointing out how absurd your opinion was.

Once again, you stating that you wouldn't even touch Castonzo in the 2nd round is some kind of "We're the Bills and we're smarter than everyone else" type of thinking that has lead this team to draft some pretty craptastic players over the years.

Not really.

The irony of this last point (if you could even call it that) is funny. I can't imagine why anyone would question your intelligence after such an ignorant statement. Kudos.

My last point, albeit slightly crude and ignorant, was pretty funny IMO. I don't understand what you meant by it being ironic, but I'll bet it's not too far from the truth. I respect your "man-love" for Mr. Castanzo, but I still wouldn't take him if he was available at our pick in the 2nd round :nana: Just my opinion dude...try not to get your panties in a bunch.

Would you two please go Get a Room?

LOL....I agree. I'm thoroughly satisfied with this silliness.