Draftek rounds 3 - 5

3. Alex Carrington - had 8 tackles and a sack, not numbers we expected after the Senior Bowl he had. Looks like DE might be an early pick yet again. It hasn't helped that the Bills scouts have been pitiful in selecting difference-making DE's (Flowers / Maybin RD1, Denney /Chris Kelsay RD2, Ellis RD3) in 10 years since Schobel (RD2 in 2001). Carrington better show it in 2011.

wish Veldheer would have dropped.

4. Marcus Easly - Bills fans loved what they saw from Easley in training camp, but he encountered a left knee injury and was placed on the long IR list. Had Johnson, Nelson, and Jones not stepped up, we'd have missed him more. Hopefully he'll be back to impress us again at St.John Fisher and make a spot at a deep position.

could have used Aaron Hernandez here.

5. Ed Wang - Wang, who lost 2/3 of the year dealing with his thumb surgery, actually attended meetings and practices from game 1 on, and saw special teams playing time in the last 6 games, as well as playing Guard in the Minnesota game.Gailey likes his versatility, and he'll likely back up Bell next year.

need to start getting OL that can play, not backup. Cam Thomas should have been our choice at 5 and Gronkowski at 2.

3. Alex Carrington - had 8 tackles and a sack, not numbers we expected after the Senior Bowl he had. Looks like DE might be an early pick yet again. It hasn't helped that the Bills scouts have been pitiful in selecting difference-making DE's (Flowers / Maybin RD1, Denney /Chris Kelsay RD2, Ellis RD3) in 10 years since Schobel (RD2 in 2001). Carrington better show it in 2011.

wish Veldheer would have dropped.

4. Marcus Easly - Bills fans loved what they saw from Easley in training camp, but he encountered a left knee injury and was placed on the long IR list. Had Johnson, Nelson, and Jones not stepped up, we'd have missed him more. Hopefully he'll be back to impress us again at St.John Fisher and make a spot at a deep position.

could have used Aaron Hernandez here.

5. Ed Wang - Wang, who lost 2/3 of the year dealing with his thumb surgery, actually attended meetings and practices from game 1 on, and saw special teams playing time in the last 6 games, as well as playing Guard in the Minnesota game.Gailey likes his versatility, and he'll likely back up Bell next year.

need to start getting OL that can play, not backup. Cam Thomas should have been our choice at 5 and Gronkowski at 2.

Like you, I'd have loved for our rookies to have made a much bigger impact this year than they did - especially on a bad

team. However, it IS a frequent coaching comment that players make their biggest performance jump between their rookie

year and year 2.

Cam Thomas managed 7 total tackles last year as a rookie. I wouldn't say that he dominated and by the standards of

"nobody improvesafter their rookie year" I'd say he isn't any good.

Now, I am not saying that Ed Wang will ever be any good (indeed, I think that there is a lot to suggest otherwise), but I am

suggesting that writing off players after 1 year is not a good idea. I do believe that Peyton Manning was AWFUL as a rookie.

I think he turned out OK.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Like you, I'd have loved for our rookies to have made a much bigger impact this year than they did - especially on a bad

team. However, it IS a frequent coaching comment that players make their biggest performance jump between their rookie

year and year 2.

Cam Thomas managed 7 total tackles last year as a rookie. I wouldn't say that he dominated and by the standards of

"nobody improvesafter their rookie year" I'd say he isn't any good.

Now, I am not saying that Ed Wang will ever be any good (indeed, I think that there is a lot to suggest otherwise), but I am

suggesting that writing off players after 1 year is not a good idea. I do believe that Peyton Manning was AWFUL as a rookie.

not saying that I think they can't and hope they get better just that I thought there were better choices out there. Cam didn't have great stats (as any NT doesn't) but he played well when he was in there.

OK, I hear you on the "don't give up after one year".

It's also a good point that Chan Gailey is of the "earn the right to play" school, vs. playing the rookies just to give them experience.

I'd still feel better about our 2010 draft class if they saw the field a bit more.

Sisyphean Bills commented that our 4 D drafts all appear to be projects.

Maybe all D rookies are projects

Some projects drafted by better teams, just seem to project more?

Anyway about Ed Wang.

1. apparently he had surgery to repair a ligament in his thumb. I had ligament surgery on my thumb, and really interfered with my ability to use my right hand for a good 6 months despite working like a slave at all the PT I got.

OLman really needs his hands. It's possible this held back our Wang.

2. that said, I would respectfully suggest to Ed that the path to NFL success does not start with lunch at the Whitehouse linky and trips to China (see twitter) but rather more, harder offseason conditioning

3. And Ed, you seem like a decent guy, but what's with the background on your Twitter? It's ......... cute. Successful NFL OLmen are not cute. They are huge, tough, mean fighters.

The best of them, like Jim Richer, put the Fear of Pain into the likes of Bill Romanowski. Kick ass and take names, Wang! And lose the kitty.