does it realy matter if it's a lb or a wr

HARCO186

Now the season is over, and we can/should be talking free agents and draft picks, does it really matter if we select a LB or WR in the first round? The reason for the question is do we not BILLIEVE in the management and the Good Ole Boy club? I mean Chan the Man said he wanted to see the baby and in my opinion, he cut ties that shocked many this year and did so very quick (Trent). This told everyone he is willing to try with everyone he had, but if they weren't cutting they would be gone. This led me alone to BILLieve that he knew what he wanted and what he was trying to achieve. People doubted Edwards as DC, and feel even George knew he was in too deep. Now we Have Dave W. and he is not the coordinator, but will change the d as needed. With all this said what if Chan grabs AJ Green as the first pick? Does everyone explode and go crazy? With all the boards saying we need this and we need that, what if we are all wrong and we go after Green. Think about this now. The Bills are not going to the Super Bowl next year, and I'm certain we can for the most part aree with this. If they take the best player available and snag Green and in round 2 grab a future QB to build him up, then the offense will be taken care of for the next few years. Think of it as snagging Thomas one year, Kelly and Andre. Then after a year or two, start building a stellar defense. We get one to two more decent FA to get the defense built a little better, then we have a competitive team. If Fitz has AJ,Evans, Johnson,Parish, Spiller,and Jackson then that would be a very very good offense. The opposing teams would not sit 8-9 in the box, and we would have a team that can hit from any point of the field.

Now I know and agree that the defense sucked this year. Why would we go backards and get worse is a debat. The coordinator was in too deep for starters. That is being fixed with Dave W. He will instantly help out and get the right defensive on track. But with little to know talent up front how? I agree, but lets say the management agree that they do not have enough talent. They get a few defensive players in round 3-4-5. This will get some depth to build off. They sign a few free agents, like one or two defensive lineman, and maybe a LB, and we have a defense that is much better. Notice that when Phillips was fired, our defense got a little better. This is because Edwards looked for advice, and got it. With Dave W. on board we can have a better scheme in place and that will make the players better in itself.

The point to all this is I would not doubt for a second if Green is available at pick 3 we snag him. Don't be surprised to see us go in this direction, and if we do then we all know the management feels we have at least one to two years before we really become a legit team to be messed with. Thoughts???

Now the season is over, and we can/should be talking free agents and draft picks, does it really matter if we select a LB or WR in the first round? The reason for the question is do we not BILLIEVE in the management and the Good Ole Boy club? I mean Chan the Man said he wanted to see the baby and in my opinion, he cut ties that shocked many this year and did so very quick (Trent). This told everyone he is willing to try with everyone he had, but if they weren't cutting they would be gone. This led me alone to BILLieve that he knew what he wanted and what he was trying to achieve. People doubted Edwards as DC, and feel even George knew he was in too deep. Now we Have Dave W. and he is not the coordinator, but will change the d as needed. With all this said what if Chan grabs AJ Green as the first pick? Does everyone explode and go crazy? With all the boards saying we need this and we need that, what if we are all wrong and we go after Green. Think about this now. The Bills are not going to the Super Bowl next year, and I'm certain we can for the most part aree with this. If they take the best player available and snag Green and in round 2 grab a future QB to build him up, then the offense will be taken care of for the next few years. Think of it as snagging Thomas one year, Kelly and Andre. Then after a year or two, start building a stellar defense. We get one to two more decent FA to get the defense built a little better, then we have a competitive team. If Fitz has AJ,Evans, Johnson,Parish, Spiller,and Jackson then that would be a very very good offense. The opposing teams would not sit 8-9 in the box, and we would have a team that can hit from any point of the field.

Now I know and agree that the defense sucked this year. Why would we go backards and get worse is a debat. The coordinator was in too deep for starters. That is being fixed with Dave W. He will instantly help out and get the right defensive on track. But with little to know talent up front how? I agree, but lets say the management agree that they do not have enough talent. They get a few defensive players in round 3-4-5. This will get some depth to build off. They sign a few free agents, like one or two defensive lineman, and maybe a LB, and we have a defense that is much better. Notice that when Phillips was fired, our defense got a little better. This is because Edwards looked for advice, and got it. With Dave W. on board we can have a better scheme in place and that will make the players better in itself.

The point to all this is I would not doubt for a second if Green is available at pick 3 we snag him. Don't be surprised to see us go in this direction, and if we do then we all know the management feels we have at least one to two years before we really become a legit team to be messed with. Thoughts???

I agree that you have to just trust them at this point. Call me gullible, but I, for one, do. The only thing I don't like about taking a WR is that we have a lot of young talent at that position I'd love to see develop and if you look around the league, very few of the elite receivers are high first round picks. I think David Nelson can be a very good WR in this league, I do not want to see him buried on the depth chart. Stevie Johnson, despite his drops, has an uncanny ability of getting open and looks to be a terrific route runner. And please spare with me with the "it's because of Lee Evans" garbage. I've never heard a receiver get praised so much for putting up such incredibly modest numbers. And I own his goddamn jersey. If you do draft Green, which I'm fine with, cut Lee Evans if no one will give up a 5th rounder for him. Green-Johnson-Roscoe-Nelson would be a sick WR group for years to come. Bottom line, if you think AJ Green is a freak, you take him. That being said, if Fairley and Bowers go 1-2, which I still don't think they will as so much will change in the next three months, I take Robert Quinn.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I agree that you have to just trust them at this point. Call me gullible, but I, for one, do. The only thing I don't like about taking a WR is that we have a lot of young talent at that position I'd love to see develop and if you look around the league, very few of the elite receivers are high first round picks. I think David Nelson can be a very good WR in this league, I do not want to see him buried on the depth chart. Stevie Johnson, despite his drops, has an uncanny ability of getting open and looks to be a terrific route runner. And please spare with me with the "it's because of Lee Evans" garbage. I've never heard a receiver get praised so much for putting up such incredibly modest numbers. And I own his goddamn jersey. If you do draft Green, which I'm fine with, cut Lee Evans if no one will give up a 5th rounder for him. Green-Johnson-Roscoe-Nelson would be a sick WR group for years to come. Bottom line, if you think AJ Green is a freak, you take him. That being said, if Fairley and Bowers go 1-2, which I still don't think they will as so much will change in the next three months, I take Robert Quinn.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Now the season is over, and we can/should be talking free agents and draft picks, does it really matter if we select a LB or WR in the first round? The reason for the question is do we not BILLIEVE in the management and the Good Ole Boy club?

When I read your thread title, I thought the subject was going to be "does it really matter if it's a LB or WR 'cuz with Bills history of talent e v a l they would both suck and neither help the team".

So it's refreshing to read an optimistic viewpoint. Kudos to you! :worthy:

I'll give you my best thoughtful response:

I feel to succeed, we need to have dominant, game-changing players on both O and on D.

Last year, we grabbed who we thought could be a game-changing playmaker on O

I think this year, we need to grab a dominant, game-changing DL or LB.

I don't think it's so easy to sign such a player in FA until he is "on the downside" of his career or struggling with injuries (Merriman, Dwan Edwards) and if you do, you mostly hope he is an example to the young, talented guys you have in your workout room and can see the field 1/2 the season in between injuries. He isn't a franchise player.

Think of it as snagging Thomas one year, Kelly and Andre. Then after a year or two, start building a stellar defense. We get one to two more decent FA to get the defense built a little better, then we have a competitive team.

This is a great example, but perhaps doesn't support the conclusion you draw.

In 1983, Bills drafted Hunter (WHO? He played TE) with their first pick in the 1st round. Kelly was their 2nd pick in the 1st and considered a reach 'cuz of injury. (How many people remember that?)

In 1984, Bills drafted Bell (Who? RB) in the 1st and Richardson (Who? WR) in the 2nd

Not until the Bills drafted Bruce Smith #1 overall in '85 and Shane Conlan #8 overall did they start to improve OFFENSIVELY.

Why? They got the ball back to the offense.

Andre Reed was a 4th round pick the year we drafted Bruce Smith.

The TE who really helped Buff in the SB years, Pete Metzelaars, was a 3rd round pick traded from Seattle.

Greg Bell helped us win the Superbowl as he was part of the great '87 3-way trade that brought Cornelius Bennett (#2 overall pick but Colts couldn't sign him) to the Bills

So what I want, is for the Bills to go after Bruce Smith or Shane Conlan or Bennett in the draft, and keep their eyes open for an Andre Reed in the 4th and a James Lofton or Metzelaars from FA.

If Fitz has AJ,Evans, Johnson,Parish, Spiller,and Jackson then that would be a very very good offense. The opposing teams would not sit 8-9 in the box, and we would have a team that can hit from any point of the field.

I'd like you to be right. Terry Bradshaw said it best: "it's hard to throw completions when you're sitting on your a**".

Without a big, dominant offensive line, opposing teams will still sit 8-9 in the box, smother the run, and if we don't run, smother or hurry the QB so he is less effective.

Regarding an improved offense, Chan Gailey said it himself in his SI interview about the quarterbacks playing in the AFC/NFC championships linky

"As well as they've four guys have played this year, don't let one other thing get lost in this, and that being there are four pretty good defenses playing this week. Between the Steelers, Jets, Packers and Bears, I'll bet you they're all in the top 10 on defense. [They're all in the top 9 in yards allowed.] That really helps a quarterback. You don't have to score 36 points a week to win. If he makes a mistake, he knows his defense will stop them and he'll get another chance. Not having to score every time he gets the ball, you can't imagine how much that helps a quarterback do his job.''

Want the Bills O to get better? Improve the D so we get the ball back, and improve the OL.

Edited by Hopeful

I get the OP's point, and ultimately he's right. Still, I want to see some action on our front seven. I get that the FO feels they have addressed the DL with Troup, KW, Carrington and Dwan Edwards. But even if the second year guys really stop up on DL, our LB corps is awful. I don't think they should resign Poz, he just cannot cover. Draft ILBs and pick up another OLB in the draft or FA. Get a real RT and I think we're going to be head and shoulders better. At #3, we should get a game changer, impact player on D. That's my hope anyhow and let's see how it plays out.

I am truly torn in this draft, because our defense needs DRASTIC help. Then I say to myself "wait a minute, our QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick". Ive said it over and over I love what the guy has done, but I have listed below the QBs in the last super bowls. I'd love to get that defensive stud, but if this team doesn't address the QB situation then we will not improve. Everyone on the board hates Vince Young, but I feel as though he could help us tremendously, AND would still allow us to grab that defender at #3. We would get him very affordably after what has gone on with him, and we still have Fitzpatrick if things dont work out. He has a huge upside, lots of talent, and is Chan's ideal type of QB. As long as you don't let the guy come in and run the team, then whats the risk. Not to mention, much like T.O. and Randy Moss, he will be looking to prove he isn't a problem and probably not say a word. If this isnt evidence that Ryan Fitzpatrick wont cut it I dont know what is.

Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Eli Manning and Tom Brady

This guys are hall of fame QBs. I think you have to start looking for that big time QB. In this league you do not win without it.

Edited by coseybedaman

When I read your thread title, I thought the subject was going to be "does it really matter if it's a LB or WR 'cuz with Bills history of talent e v a l they would both suck and neither help the team".

So it's refreshing to read an optimistic viewpoint. Kudos to you! :worthy:

I'll give you my best thoughtful response:

I feel to succeed, we need to have dominant, game-changing players on both O and on D.

Last year, we grabbed who we thought could be a game-changing playmaker on O

I think this year, we need to grab a dominant, game-changing DL or LB.

I don't think it's so easy to sign such a player in FA until he is "on the downside" of his career or struggling with injuries (Merriman, Dwan Edwards) and if you do, you mostly hope he is an example to the young, talented guys you have in your workout room and can see the field 1/2 the season in between injuries. He isn't a franchise player.

I too want the Bills to draft a Bruce Smith, but for some reason I have a feeling that Chan says the best player available he means someone like Green. I will not like it if they draft a CB. But what I want and what they see is totally different. I just have a feeling it will be Green because this kid is like a Randy Moss, And TO combined, and many say he is the next best thing as a receiver. I do not know for sure, nor am I an expert scoute and have the inside to voice an opinion on him, but feel Chan is letting us know he's going there.

In 1983, Bills drafted Hunter (WHO? He played TE) with their first pick in the 1st round. Kelly was their 2nd pick in the 1st and considered a reach 'cuz of injury. (How many people remember that?)

In 1984, Bills drafted Bell (Who? RB) in the 1st and Richardson (Who? WR) in the 2nd

Not until the Bills drafted Bruce Smith #1 overall in '85 and Shane Conlan #8 overall did they start to improve OFFENSIVELY.

The TE who really helped Buff in the SB years, Pete Metzelaars, was a 3rd round pick traded from Seattle.

Greg Bell helped us win the Superbowl as he was part of the great '87 3-way trade that brought Cornelius Bennett (#2 overall pick but Colts couldn't sign him) to the Bills

So what I want, is for the Bills to go after Bruce Smith or Shane Conlan or Bennett in the draft, and keep their eyes open for an Andre Reed in the 4th and a James Lofton or Metzelaars from FA.

I'd like you to be right. Terry Bradshaw said it best: "it's hard to throw completions when you're sitting on your a**".

Without a big, dominant offensive line, opposing teams will still sit 8-9 in the box, smother the run, and if we don't run, smother or hurry the QB so he is less effective.

Regarding an improved offense, Chan Gailey said it himself in his SI interview about the quarterbacks playing in the AFC/NFC championships linky

"As well as they've four guys have played this year, don't let one other thing get lost in this, and that being there are four pretty good defenses playing this week. Between the Steelers, Jets, Packers and Bears, I'll bet you they're all in the top 10 on defense. [They're all in the top 9 in yards allowed.] That really helps a quarterback. You don't have to score 36 points a week to win. If he makes a mistake, he knows his defense will stop them and he'll get another chance. Not having to score every time he gets the ball, you can't imagine how much that helps a quarterback do his job.''

Want the Bills O to get better? Improve the D so we get the ball back, and improve the OL.

Hope,

My last reply failed some how sorry. I want the Bills to go defense myself, but feel that Chan will go with Green because all reports indicate this kid is just all that. I don't watch enough to say one way or another, but feel Chan is letting us know he's taking this route. I won't be upset with it, but will be upset if we take another CB. I just don't see any reason to snag a CB at #3. If we take Green, I will not complain, but how many on this board will go ape s***.

I am truly torn in this draft, because our defense needs DRASTIC help. Then I say to myself "wait a minute, our QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick". Ive said it over and over I love what the guy has done, but I have listed below the QBs in the last super bowls. I'd love to get that defensive stud, but if this team doesn't address the QB situation then we will not improve. Everyone on the board hates Vince Young, but I feel as though he could help us tremendously, AND would still allow us to grab that defender at #3. We would get him very affordably after what has gone on with him, and we still have Fitzpatrick if things dont work out. He has a huge upside, lots of talent, and is Chan's ideal type of QB. As long as you don't let the guy come in and run the team, then whats the risk. Not to mention, much like T.O. and Randy Moss, he will be looking to prove he isn't a problem and probably not say a word. If this isnt evidence that Ryan Fitzpatrick wont cut it I dont know what is.

Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Eli Manning and Tom Brady

This guys are hall of fame QBs. I think you have to start looking for that big time QB. In this league you do not win without it.

We have looked and there aren't any hall of fame QBs in this draft.

Hope,

My last reply failed some how sorry. I want the Bills to go defense myself, but feel that Chan will go with Green because all reports indicate this kid is just all that. I don't watch enough to say one way or another, but feel Chan is letting us know he's taking this route. I won't be upset with it, but will be upset if we take another CB. I just don't see any reason to snag a CB at #3. If we take Green, I will not complain, but how many on this board will go ape s***.

Heh! Well, if you put your stock in anything Chan and Nix say or seem to imply b4 the draft, prepare for a shock. I think last year showed them both to be full of smoke and mirrors there.

I don't think I'll go ape sh**, that will depend upon the overall draft and FA mixture. I will be concerned they are making a mistake though.

Ironic how the draft picks became good to great players when Bill Polian started in the front office or was officially elevated to GM. My optimism dies with this franchise when I realize RW or his people can jump in at any moment and "recommend" a player OR Buddy is making the picks. Neither scenario is all that attractive, the former being even worse. Not all talent evaluators are created equal.

While I am optomistic and believe in our leadership because I am a fan of this team I would like to add that Detroit has drafted top notch WR's year after year and finally got a QB and still is not a successful franchise. Oakland has done the same thing and failed.

if they take anything but defensive front seven in the first three rounds, i give up. doesn't anyone remember how we almost made it back to the super bowl (ok slight exaggeration, but...)with that **** lousy offense that flutie led? fitz is actually better than flutie and i am sick of our defense being a laughingstock.

and wr at #3 and i will throw up on the floor.