Very interesting comment in PFW Whispers re: Lee Evans

Exactly. I doubt Lee Evans is going anywhere. His contract isn't outrageous and even if someone else emerges, he is a great insurance policy and has the most experience on the team at WR. Easley has done nada in the NFL. Hope he becomes the second coming of Andre Reed. But putting all your hopes in Marcus Easley is ridiculous. Waaay too early...

True ..plus the Bills are way under the cap so this is not a pure financial decision.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree with all your points.

The past Bills regime was even dumber than you suggest, they replaced Peters with Langston Walker and expected him to play LT in a "no huddle" offense.

Oh God, you had to remind me. It's like on the way to the car accident they decided to pick up a few extra gallons of gasoline.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/01/22/rookie-db-wilson-out-of-favor-with-jets

• WR Marcus Easley didn't play a single snap for the Bills in 2010, and due to a left knee injury early in training camp that put him on I.R., he barely even practiced much with the team. That should change in 2011, as the team has high-hopes for the fourth-round pick. If Easley can return to 100 percent, he should be able to compete for a spot in the WR rotation. The Bills already have a lot of young, inexpensive talent at the position, and Easley's emergence could mean the end of the line for high-priced vet Lee Evans.

It would be the ultimate moronic move to get rid of evans, with the other receivers all being so young and inexperienced. But with the track record of this FO and the joke that it is, he probably will be gone so all the receivers will be making rookie contract wages. After all, what is most important to this franchise-$$$$$$$$$$$

Rank of 71 for your #1 Wide out. WOW. Let's keep this guy, he is heckuva secret weapon. He may even catch 4 balls in game twice in a season.

ok..which of 1 to 70 are you going to replace him with? Going to find a top flight receiver in the fifth round of the draft? If we felt so little confidence in him why did we let TO walk (number 18)?

This is silly. We have about seven position with less than adequate people starting and we're poking around at the one area where we actually have a capable starter. No wonder we are at the bottom of the division.

Only way Evans goes (if football is even played next year) is if he is outplayed by the other guys. He won't be released for financial reasons.

I agree. This is not a financial decision to make but a productivity one. Evans was not particularly productice this year and I do not think he is guaranteed a spot in this team next year - he will have to earn it. This is looking like the deepest position on the team, assuming Parish recovers, which should not be an issue. Easley being fully recovered and productive would be a bonus.

It would be monumentally stupid to believe that a fourth-round pick coming off a season-ending injury, without one down of regular-season experience, is going to replace Evans, based on preseason results. You might compare this to believing that D. Bell could step in in 2009 to replace Peters. Whatever you think of the "overpriced vet," going into the season without great talent and a great plan B is asinine.

If moving Evans nets pieces that make the Bills better, so be it, but I have not seen anything from Stevie Johnson that tells me that he's emerged at #1. He is a very solid #2 who needs to work on his hands. None of us has seen anything from Marcus Easley yet, so I can't even begin to comprehend how he replaces Evans in terms of drawing away coverage and pure speed threat on the field. Perhaps he can be more effective going underneath, but again, I'm waiting for evidence against NFL competition.

I just disagree with you on one point. I think Stevie Johnson is a true #1 WO. Were L. Evans has never been. Lee Evans is the perfect #2 WO this is where his skill set lies. He is not much different from Peerless Price in skill set. Lee Evans is a little faster and more talented than Peerless Price. But Peerless ran better after the catch. I personally like Lee Evans so I am not capping on him. He just does not run a full Route tree where Stevie Johnson does. No slants or drags over the middle for Lee Evans. He has never excelled in traffic or as a slot receiver. Well just my Opinion. But make no mistake who the #1 WO on the Bills team is next year that is SJ

I just think Lee would be more motivated if he was playing for a sure fire contender. He could easily latch on with Baltimore or Kansas City and help them at the #2 spot. And for us, as much as Lee's done here, the money would be better spent on the defense or O-line. This reminds me of the decision the Patriots made when they let Deion Branch go. The only problem is that players that aren't on good teams don't fetch first round picks. They get 4th rounders, even if that's below their worth.

Evans' cash pay is relatively small next year and that's all Wilson & Overdorf care about.

This was not the case with Dockery.

They still cut him despite already absorbing the worst years of his contract.

He actually signed for more money over the next three years than he was scheduled to make with the Bills.

The reason? A $1 million roster bonus.

Don't doubt this could happen here as well.

Only way Evans goes (if football is even played next year) is if he is outplayed by the other guys. He won't be released for financial reasons.

And...if Evans was being outplayed by other Buffalo Bills, he would have been sitting on the bench. Ergo...he's the number two guy until someone better knocks him out of that position. The guys stats weren't all that bad, and I don't see anyone better on the horizon.

I just disagree with you on one point. I think Stevie Johnson is a true #1 WO. Were L. Evans has never been. Lee Evans is the perfect #2 WO this is where his skill set lies. He is not much different from Peerless Price in skill set. Lee Evans is a little faster and more talented than Peerless Price. But Peerless ran better after the catch. I personally like Lee Evans so I am not capping on him. He just does not run a full Route tree where Stevie Johnson does. No slants or drags over the middle for Lee Evans. He has never excelled in traffic or as a slot receiver. Well just my Opinion. But make no mistake who the #1 WO on the Bills team is next year that is SJ

#1 receivers catch gimme TDs in overtime against big-time opponents. I don't usually talk about the intangibles, but this is one situation where I'm going to have to disagree. Until he works on his hands (and the head that should be communicating the message to them), he can keep getting open all he wants. He won't be respected like a #1 by anybody. I love that ability to get open, but it's what he does after that point that concerns me. He sure celebrates like a #1 receiver and he's made some big plays, but he needs to capitalize on crucial opportunities more regularly.

Evans has in fact been a true #1 when he had quarterbacks who wanted to get him the ball, and he can take it to the house on a deep ball, or at least he has in the past. Is he less willing to sacrifice his body over the middle? I in fact agree that he was, when Trent was QBing. Furthermore, this year was not his best, by a longshot. Even so, he created opportunities for Johnson to get open, and once he was injured, SJ's game definitely suffered. Lee is a professional receiver who does those little things that aren't noticed very well, and despite his shortcomings I'd be furious if they handed the job to someone who hasn't proven it or earned it. BTW Price was a slot receiver who did well when the other guy (Moulds) demanded double-teams. SJ isn't a slot receiver but the other part of the story is consistent.

The number one receiver is the one who catches the most passes in a given season...Steve Johnson

The number two is Lee Evans who has a pretty good standing as a number two receiver.

We have a number of pretty good receivers on the bench.

Our offensive line is not good...our defensive line is not good....our linebacking is not good.

Forget the idea of making our receiving corps weaker...wise drafting and signing solid free agents will improve our weak areas.

Hey Chan...Buddy...here's a novel idea ...Look at where we aren't very good and then use our resources to make those areas better. Chicago, for instance, got Peppers and Cutler. Green Bay got Bulaga The Jets got Braylin Edwards and LT. It isn't all that difficult.

The number one receiver is the one who catches the most passes in a given season...Steve Johnson

so, in 1993 was Pete Metzelaars the #1 receiver, or the beneficiary of an injury-depleted corps and opposing coverage schemes that left him available for Kelly to target? Just checking.

To me, the #1 receiver is the one who demands primary coverage and double-teams from the secondary. That's Evans. SJ might be getting open more, but he was not doing so against the A1 defenders for most of the year, and he certainly wasn't getting double-covered for most of the year. When he was (sans Evans), his play suffered.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post.

so, in 1993 was Pete Metzelaars the #1 receiver, or the beneficiary of an injury-depleted corps and opposing coverage schemes that left him available for Kelly to target? Just checking.

To me, the #1 receiver is the one who demands primary coverage and double-teams from the secondary. That's Evans. SJ might be getting open more, but he was not doing so against the A1 defenders for most of the year, and he certainly wasn't getting double-covered for most of the year. When he was (sans Evans), his play suffered.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post.

If he was the guy who caught most of the passes, he was the number one receiver that season. I go far enough back to remember when Elbert Dubenion and Glenn Bass were hurt and tight end Ernie Warlick was the number one receiver.

The number one receiver is the go to guy...SJ was the go to guy for most of the season. Maybe LE will earn the number one designation back, but to do that he has to make a bunch of catches.

It would be monumentally stupid to believe that a fourth-round pick coming off a season-ending injury, without one down of regular-season experience, is going to replace Evans, based on preseason results. You might compare this to believing that D. Bell could step in in 2009 to replace Peters. Whatever you think of the "overpriced vet," going into the season without great talent and a great plan B is asinine.

If moving Evans nets pieces that make the Bills better, so be it, but I have not seen anything from Stevie Johnson that tells me that he's emerged at #1. He is a very solid #2 who needs to work on his hands. None of us has seen anything from Marcus Easley yet, so I can't even begin to comprehend how he replaces Evans in terms of drawing away coverage and pure speed threat on the field. Perhaps he can be more effective going underneath, but again, I'm waiting for evidence against NFL competition.

Well, then if what you've "seen" from Stevie Johnson is a solid #2 then I suppose that makes Lee Evans an average #3?

Well, then if what you've "seen" from Stevie Johnson is a solid #2 then I suppose that makes Lee Evans an average #3?

I think it makes Lee Evans a #1 who had a very down year and who for the entirety of Edwards' career was neglected in the offense. I think he does need more time to work with Fitz. Or, he needs a new team, where I'm pretty sure he'd show his stuff to be #1 caliber. He still has his speed and has never suffered catastrophic injury. He's still good for the big play. I tend to believe that a guy like that, who averaged 950 yds and almost 60 catches his first five years in the league, will be more likely to bounce back than to decline.