The Most Annoying Business Jargon

Booster4324

Truth be told...in those terms, "110%" is perfectly valid. WWII aircraft engines I know had a "full power" rating (100%) and a "war emergency" rating greater than 100% (usually 110-115%, as I recall) power. The difference being that "full power" is the max that you can run the engine for any length of time, whereas "war emergency" was good for a few minutes and grounded the plane for a complete engine rebuild afterwards.

So "110%" is valid in strict engineering terms...but blisteringly stupid when managing people, since it basically means "I want you hospitalized by the end of the day."

Same thing with the Space Shuttle Main Engines, they run at 104.5% maxiumum thrust duing launch, cycled down for MAX Q, and again near MECO. The engines original spec was 100% thrust for "normal" operation, but it was discovered that they could operate at a higher capacity safely, and this became standard. To keep things from getting completely confusing, they just kept the original designation.

The SSMEs can actually supply 106% and 109% in case of abort senarios where one engine is lost during assent. It should be noted that this has never been attempted as the prediction of a catastrophic failure goes up dramatically with increased power levels.

Ok, back on topic...I hate the phrase "Everything pops". What the hell does this even mean?

Anything that comes out of the mouth of an IT consultant:

We're here to implement best in class, mission critical applications to provide solutions for the enterprises in your space.

In college, when I delivered pizza, I had business cards made up with the title "Nutrition Transportation Engineer".

I used to tell girls I worked for a profit based organization whose mission was to feed the hungry. Got a lot of "awww"s out of that one. Which was predictably followed by the punch to the arm after telling her what that entails.

I used to tell girls I worked for a profit based organization whose mission was to feed the hungry. Got a lot of "awww"s out of that one. Which was predictably followed by the punch to the arm after telling her what that entails.

The CPA my firm works with used to work for the IRS. When people asked what he did he said "I'm a fund raiser for the world's largest non-profit organization."

don't re-invent the wheel

left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing

don't go around your ass to get to your elbow

sharpen our pencils on this one

"synergy"

did you catch the rack on the new temp? (oh, you said "annoying" business jargon).

Edited by K-9

don't re-invent the wheel

left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing

don't go around your ass to get to your elbow

sharpen our pencils on this one

"synergy"

did you catch the rack on the new temp? (oh, you said "annoying" business jargon).

Nothing wrong with synergy as long as you're not stovepiped and your business model uses service-oriented paradigms to align your strategic goals with your market space.

But ultimately, from cheese platter to ice cream, it is what it is...

I hope you slapped whoever said that.

It was in the lecture notes so I didn't have a chance to. :(

"Even when businesses in the same industry are fierce competitors, there are reasons for them to

cooperate in limited ways with one another—in fact, this is known as coopetition."

It was in the lecture notes so I didn't have a chance to. :(

"Even when businesses in the same industry are fierce competitors, there are reasons for them to

cooperate in limited ways with one another—in fact, this is known as coopetition."

Someone actually provided written evidence of that level of stupidity?

I can just see Ribbentrop telling Molotov in a conference room somewhere in August of '39: "We need to be in coopetition over the Polish issue, nicht wahr?"

!@#$ing idiotic.

Someone actually provided written evidence of that level of stupidity?

I can just see Ribbentrop telling Molotov in a conference room somewhere in August of '39: "We need to be in coopetition over the Polish issue, nicht wahr?"

!@#$ing idiotic.

I cant believe someone who actually calls themselves "DC" Tom has never heard of coopetition before. If you are doing business with the feds, it is a fact of life, has been for 30 years, and I don't even do business with the feds.Wake up boys..the feds make everybody rich who wants to make them rich, this is just a way to spread the wealth amongst thieves