What happened to Ralph Wilson?

seq004

As best as I can tell Marv was about the ONLY person who was qualified to take the job which was offered. This job was to oversee the rubble that was left after Mr. Ralph:

1. Fired the best GM in football who most agree deserves the primary credit among many for building the Buffalo Bills early 90s juggernaut. As best as I can tell, I'm not sure whether the blame lies more with Polian for being insubordinate to his boss or Mr. Ralph for not realizing for football purposes Polian was gonna GM a team to ab SB win sooner or later and if he wanted an SB win for the Bills primarily to win an SB then keeping Polian would be a good move.

Either way, Marv took a GM job which had a history of the owner and a great GM not making it work.

2. Add to this, that the relationship between Mr. Ralph and Butler proved to be so toxic (again blame whichever man you want or blame both, it is clear the Mr. Ralph is developing a record of having such bad relationships with his primary employee that the working relationship did not work) it hurt the team big time.

3. Next we have TD where once again the relationship proved to be so bad TD got canned.

Once is an incident. Twice may well be a co-incidence. The third time Mr. Ralph proved incapable of having a productive relationship with his GM, there is a good case to be made that what we have here is a trend.

Enter Marv as the next GM/ My sense is that given the difficulties Mr. Ralph was having simply having productive working relationships with his GM that Marv was likely the only person with the track record of at least having a tolerable relationship with the man in charge (and Mr. Ralph even fired him) I am not sure who else would be more qualified to survive, be awarded the job or take it if offered.

In fact, what happened seemed to bear this out. Marv was on record saying what he wanted (the HC job) but right or wrong Mr. Ralph could not successfully manage the relationship such that Marv did not walk. If you want to question whether this is all Marv's fault, merely look at the next GM he hire -- No one.

The look at who interviewed for the job the next season but seemed to turn it down for reasons we do not know Shanahan and Cowher.

If you want to maintain that Marv was in over his head, so be it However, it is not unreasonable to ask if this is your contention who should we have hired instead and even if offered who would take the job (clearly not Shananhan or Cowher.

I actually agree with you that Marv was in over his head, but oddly even though this is true as best as I can tell he was the best man available for the job of working with an owner who:

1. Had three straight toxic relationships with his GN (again without regard to who was at fault in any of these cases the owner either fired these men stupidly or was stupid enough to hire guys who deserved to be fired.

2. Add to the toxic GM relationships the fact that he ended up losing an appeal to not pay an HC he canned (again either it was stupid firing or a stupid hiring of a guy so bad he deserved to be fired with time left on his contract- those are really the only two choices.

3. Again, for whatever reason, Mr. Ralph was kept out of the HOF when he clearly seemed to deserve it either for simply being there when the AFL was established or being the owner of a singular team which went to 4 straight SBs (a great achievement even with the losses.

It make little sense to me that you would point a finger at Marv without an at least an acknowledgment that the 4 other fingers should be pointing at Mr. Ralph.

After all there is a clear record of over a decade of failure to make the playoffs. How many of these do you blame on Marv and who was pivotally involved in all 10+?

How in the world can anyone who has read my many postings not acknowledge my position that the the Buffalo Bills, a failed franchise, is a reflection of its mercurial owner. There are only so many ways that I can make the point the Ralph Wilson is mostly responsible for its historically bad record.

I stand by my opinion that Marv Levy was unqualified for the "fraudulent" GM position he assumed. He was an unmitigated disaster. Because of his ineptitude he set this franchise back by years. Being a good man doesn't mean that he should not be held accountable.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is poisoning you from the inside, we all see it... It's been way too long. Change teams John. Pick a team that will make you happy. The flailing pats could use a new member to replace those that just fell off of the wagon.

The next time I see this guy at a Bills game I'll know :bag: its you.

I stand by my opinion that Marv Levy was unqualified for the "fraudulent" GM position he assumed. He was an unmitigated disaster. Because of his ineptitude he set this franchise back by years. Being a good man doesn't mean that he should not be held accountable.

Surprisingly, Marv has many staunch supporters. Although I respect him as a seemingly "nice man," I am thinking that even you give him more credit than I do as a football guy. While I agree that he was good at soothing huge egos, I think that the more input he had,the worse the team was.

Even his biggest apologists want to forget his later years when he was standing next to Mauch and the two of them were simply screaming and spitting on the sidelines. It was like watching 2 incoherent people.

Hall of Fame or not, he is not high on the list of the top football people I have seen over the years but again, he did seem like a nice guy, and I wish him well.

[.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/8/1/1578327/august-1-1985-frank-reich-ends :doh:

An insane line of crap? If telling the truth is a line of crap then what you said is???

Do a little research. You might want to actually get your facts straight BEFORE posting. Bruce signed his contract before the Bills made him the number 1 pick in 1985 :doh: Also you called Buffalo a "not worn down pit holes like Buffalo" so yeah I quess thats better than calling it a ####hole :doh: Ralph has the reputation throughout the entire NFL for becoming a cheap owner and while he did play players like Smith and Kelly the very BEST contracts at that time he reverted back to his old ways. He no longer pays for PROVEN FO and coaches. Free agents like Paup and Speilman came here on the heals of 4 AFC rings and wanted to play for a winner and Ralph payed them well for it, but again thats when he payed to be a winner. Its reality. Accept it. You'll sleep better. I only hope Jim Kelly and Billy Shaw aren't blowing smoke because new ownership is our only hope.

Okay, so I'll parially give you credit on the Bruce deal but the bottom line is every time that #78 held out and cried for more money Ralph stepped up and paid him. Bruce is one of the originating whiners who started crying about a new contract before his deal was actually up; now players do it all the time. All I said was those were your words about Buffalo being a #%&*hole, which is true, but I have not once backed off about Buffalo being a terrible weather city that's run down with no employment and a population declining yearly. Like I said, I lived in Buffalo for most of my adult life and I love my family, the people, the food, and the Bills. If the Bills ever leave the city of Buffalo though, it would become a ghost town except for some hockey fans. When you travel to other cities the people always look at Buffalo as the arm pit of the US. They say, I heard the people are really nice but then they joke about our ugly city, our terrible NFL team, and our awful weather. Those are the truths Seq004, sorry if it's hard to swallow. You are funny when you talk about Ralph reverting back to old ways. Ralph has always been Ralph. He will pay top buck, although he often spends it on the wrong guys; Lee Evans, Sean Dockery, Langston Walker. There is no doubt he has made some bad decisions but he is not cheap.

How in the world can anyone who has read my many postings not acknowledge my position that the the Buffalo Bills, a failed franchise, is a reflection of its mercurial owner. There are only so many ways that I can make the point the Ralph Wilson is mostly responsible for its historically bad record.

In two sentences you blame both the owner and his choice for GM in Marv Levy, I've watched you condem Marv post after post....

""There was a reason why Marv became a figurehead. He was simply in over his head. He was totally befuddled. There was no way he could lead the organization because his knowledge base of the league and the players was zilch""

Care to elaborate on exactly how you know Marv was "totally befuddled" and his "knowladge base of the league and the players was zilch" Simply because the man wasn't in the league for 5 years doesn't mean he lost touch with everything,he was doing broadcasting for ESPN radio in Chicago for the Bears before he was hired as GM.

First of all, the ONLY decision I know he made was the hiring of the head coach in Dick Jauron (and even then he just offered his opinion and Ralph Wilson made the final choice) other then that I don't know of anything else he can be held accountable for, do you?

From what I recall he was told he wouldn't need to be involved in any contract negotioations, and that would be handled by others. In regards to the draft he stated that he would only give his opinion on players and that it would be a combined effort of scouts-head coach-director of player personnel to make the draft choices. So it was in fact Jauron who made the final choice from my view. As I stated in an eariler post, this was probably the main reason as to why the owner trusted Jauron enough to make him de facto GM after Marv left the org.

After he left the Buffalo Bills when his contract ended Marv went on to mentor CFL Alouettes head coach Marc Trestmen, who then went on to win 2 Grey Cups like Marv did when he was the HC of the Alouettes. In 2009 he co-wrote a book. The man is in the NFL HoFame and you keep bashing him over and over for all his supposed mistakes while he was GM . Please elaborate on exactly what mistakes he made OTHER then the hiring of Dick Jauron.... as I would really like to know!

Surprisingly, Marv has many staunch supporters. Although I respect him as a seemingly "nice man," I am thinking that even you give him more credit than I do as a football guy. While I agree that he was good at soothing huge egos, I think that the more input he had,the worse the team was.

Even his biggest apologists want to forget his later years when he was standing next to Mauch and the two of them were simply screaming and spitting on the sidelines. It was like watching 2 incoherent people.

Hall of Fame or not, he is not high on the list of the top football people I have seen over the years but again, he did seem like a nice guy, and I wish him well.

Bill I think you have it backwards. The biggest problem with Levy's tenure is that he wasn't a real GM of the team.

People still get fixated on the title, same as with Brandon, when it's becoming more clear that the leadership void left after TD's departure is what's responsible for questionable personnel moves and the failures of the last 5 years.

Because Levy was out of touch with the league & the players when he came back it's hard to argue that he was the one pushing for the Whitner pick & trading for McCargo. Because there was no real accountability and no central direction to rebuild the roster, the personnel decisions do not appear to have been coordinated very well. You can blame Levy all you want, but he was a GM without much decision making ability and was only brought in to restore Wilson's control of the football operations.

Bill I think you have it backwards. The biggest problem with Levy's tenure is that he wasn't a real GM of the team.

People still get fixated on the title, same as with Brandon, when it's becoming more clear that the leadership void left after TD's departure is what's responsible for questionable personnel moves and the failures of the last 5 years.

Because Levy was out of touch with the league & the players when he came back it's hard to argue that he was the one pushing for the Whitner pick & trading for McCargo. Because there was no real accountability and no central direction to rebuild the roster, the personnel decisions do not appear to have been coordinated very well. You can blame Levy all you want, but he was a GM without much decision making ability and was only brought in to restore Wilson's control of the football operations.

Right...the franchise went 4 years without anyone really steering them in any clear direction. Marv Levy was a face for the franchise, Russ Brandon was making them financially viable, and, theoretically, Dick Jauron was taking care of the product on the field...

I think one reads your continued fixation on Marv as being the source of the unmitigated disaster and simply has to shake your head as this view misses the point that the true and absolute determining and rate limiting factor on the fate of the Bills is none other than Mr. Ralph.

One way to check your theory is to ask yourself the simple question: if not Marv then WHO specifically would you suggest should have been the GM?

I think the answer is that after being the prime constituent in 3 straight incredibly toxic GM relationships I simply do not see anyone who one can reasonably propose as being the GM.

The simple contradiction that anyone who follows the Bills needs to show some understanding of is that:

Yes, Marv was unqualified to be an adequate GM!

Yes, but also Marv was the best and virtually only person able to be the GM given the clear rate limiting and determining factor of Mr. Ralph having totally toxic relationships with his GM.

Understanding and acknowledging this contradiction is a key to understanding the current sorry state of the Bills franchise.

The simple fact is that even worrying about Marv's work as GM simply defines worrying about one's fiddle playing style while Rome burns around you.

Ragging on Marv is simply displaced thinking about what really is happening with the Bills.

Right...the franchise went 4 years without anyone really steering them in any clear direction. Marv Levy was a face for the franchise, Russ Brandon was making them financially viable, and, theoretically, Dick Jauron was taking care of the product on the field...

aka - Commitment to Mediocrity

RW never really paid fo coaches and front office. He got luky though with Polian and Levy. Though I'm more inclined to think Levy was just at the right place at the right time due to the players Polian brught in. The only somewhat high paid coach he ever signed was Chuck Knox. I don't think even Levy made top $$ I don't think even TD was paid top $$ The problem seems to have been over past ten years, the decisions as to whom to sign have failed terribly. But he's paid pretty well doing it. Maybe now he's getting to the point f being gun shy, don't know. But figures he can lose just as well with cheap players as he's lost with expensive players too.

Your quote is pretty well spot on. If Levy was already a HOF quality coach in 1986, he never would have came here. He was a coach who was successful in college and in Canada, a good special teams coach under George Allen, but his stint as HC of the Chiefs, wasn't all that remarkable which was why he hadn't worked in a while and was available. The main reason he was hired was his relationship with Polian, whom Levy got hired as a GM while he was coaching in Canada, otherwise he wouldn't have been in the discussions for a new HC. You are right and I have said it here before, the only coach that Ralph has ever brought in with a successful NFL resume was Knox, and he couldn't get out of Buffalo fast enough when his contract was up, even though he was offered an extension. His unwillingness to spend on coaches and front office personnel is so evident to this day, just look at the staff he hired just this past year. That along with the reputation he has for not being committed to winning, keeps coaches of the like of Shanahan, Cowher, etc. from even considering coming here, no matter what the salary. He got lucky with Polian or we wouldn't have been able to enjoy the 7-8 years of winning in the late 80' and into the 90's that we did, but of course you see how he chased him and anyone else out of here that had a clue too, as soon as he could.

That could be, but my recollection was that when Smith finished out the year as interim GM, he made it known that he was interested in getting the permanent gig. RW wanted to go outside and jumped at TD when he became available. That ticked of Smith (not hard to do) and he's held a grudge vs Wilson ever since. That's my memory of it.

I'm very confident that my version is accurate. When Butler was fired Ralph turned to Smith to take over. He said no. Ralph then summarily fired him. John Butler and A.J. Smith, his immediate subordinate, were close. There are strong suspicions (which I also have) that Butler and Smith had made some under the table (wink-wink) agreement with the Chargers that they would be interested in working in their organization. There was no secret that John Butler had had it with the very demanding Ralph and was not going to sign an extension. Shortly after being fired (their contracts were soon coming to an end) they quickly signed a deal with the Chargers.

While Butler/Smith went on to rebuild the Chargers into one of the more successful teams over the past decade or so the Bills have continued to flounder since their departure. So the pattern of the owner driving out the competent people continued on.

A side note. Ralph Wilson held a major grudge against John Butler. He felt that he was disloyal and betrayed him. When Ralph found out that Butler was dying of cancer he took the initiative to contact Butler and make peace with him. John Butler died shortly after.

Edited by JohnC

I think one reads your continued fixation on Marv as being the source of the unmitigated disaster and simply has to shake your head as this view misses the point that the true and absolute determining and rate limiting factor on the fate of the Bills is none other than Mr. Ralph.

One way to check your theory is to ask yourself the simple question: if not Marv then WHO specifically would you suggest should have been the GM?

I think the answer is that after being the prime constituent in 3 straight incredibly toxic GM relationships I simply do not see anyone who one can reasonably propose as being the GM.

The simple contradiction that anyone who follows the Bills needs to show some understanding of is that:

Yes, Marv was unqualified to be an adequate GM!

Yes, but also Marv was the best and virtually only person able to be the GM given the clear rate limiting and determining factor of Mr. Ralph having totally toxic relationships with his GM.

Understanding and acknowledging this contradiction is a key to understanding the current sorry state of the Bills franchise.

The simple fact is that even worrying about Marv's work as GM simply defines worrying about one's fiddle playing style while Rome burns around you.

Ragging on Marv is simply displaced thinking about what really is happening with the Bills.

You need to go back and read what I have stated. There is no doubt that the owner is the source of the franchise's historical mediocrity. No one can dispute something that is so blatantly obvious.

I don't know where you and I disagree with respect to Marv. Marv Levy was grossly unqualified for his fake GM position. Marv's short tenure was an unmitigated disaster which is going to take years to rectify. How can anyone disagree with something that is so apparent? Marv Levy is a wonderful person. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't be held accountable for a job that he held.

You need to go back and read what I have stated. There is no doubt that the owner is the source of the franchise's historical mediocrity. No one can dispute something that is so blatantly obvious.

I don't know where you and I disagree with respect to Marv. Marv Levy was grossly unqualified for his fake GM position. Marv's short tenure was an unmitigated disaster which is going to take years to rectify. How can anyone disagree with something that is so apparent? Marv Levy is a wonderful person. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't be held accountable for a job that he held.

I agree that Ralph is responsible for the historical mediocrity.

As far as Marv Levy goes, I also agree that he was grossly unqualified. I agree that it was disastrous. But I also agree that he's a great guy ... and he took that position honestly thinking he could turn the team around.

I trust Marv's intentions way more than Ralph Wilson's.

It's kind of like Aaron Maybin ... it's not his fault he's being paid to do a job he sucks at, no matter how much he wants to be better. They picked him ... not the other way around. Same with Marv.

I agree that Ralph is responsible for the historical mediocrity.

As far as Marv Levy goes, I also agree that he was grossly unqualified. I agree that it was disastrous. But I also agree that he's a great guy ... and he took that position honestly thinking he could turn the team around.

I trust Marv's intentions way more than Ralph Wilson's.

It's kind of like Aaron Maybin ... it's not his fault he's being paid to do a job he sucks at, no matter how much he wants to be better. They picked him ... not the other way around. Same with Marv.

I think you and I are in accord? A lot of people are very uncomfortable when a very nice gentleman such as Marv Levy gets severely criticized for a job he performed. Without trying to be obnoxious anyone who thinks Levy did a good job as a GM or whatever you want to call the hollow position he had is in a fantasy world I don't live it.

I'm very confident that my version is accurate. When Butler was fired Ralph turned to Smith to take over. He said no. Ralph then summarily fired him. John Butler and A.J. Smith, his immediate subordinate, were close. There are strong suspicions (which I also have) that Butler and Smith had made some under the table (wink-wink) agreement with the Chargers that they would be interested in working in their organization. There was no secret that John Butler had had it with the very demanding Ralph and was not going to sign an extension. Shortly after being fired (their contracts were soon coming to an end) they quickly signed a deal with the Chargers.

While Butler/Smith went on to rebuild the Chargers into one of the more successful teams over the past decade or so the Bills have continued to flounder since their departure. So the pattern of the owner driving out the competent people continued on.

A side note. Ralph Wilson held a major grudge against John Butler. He felt that he was disloyal and betrayed him. When Ralph found out that Butler was dying of cancer he took the initiative to contact Butler and make peace with him. John Butler died shortly after.

Lookup the scant news items from 2000/2001, they all show that Smith resigned following Butler's departure. Butler was fired in December 2000 and Wilson announced that he would start a search for a replacement. Dwight Adams & Smith were the leading internal candidates and interviewed for the job. When Smith didn't get the job, he quit. Adams got a promotion and stayed.

I think you and I are in accord? A lot of people are very uncomfortable when a very nice gentleman such as Marv Levy gets severely criticized for a job he performed. Without trying to be obnoxious anyone who thinks Levy did a good job as a GM or whatever you want to call the hollow position he had is in a fantasy world I don't live it.

Yup, we're on the same page. And you're right ... it's hard to call a spade a spade on this board when it comes to the Bills, and not get crucified for it.

I once made the mistake of pointing out what an arrogant, pompous a-hole Jim Kelly is. That went over like a fart in church.

I totally respect how fans embrace "their" team, but I think we need to see things for what they are ... not for what our hearts want them to be.

The one good thing about the Marv "GM" era ... it was short-lived.

Look how long Detroit kept Millen around!!

I remember reading an article around 1988 and I can't remember which print media it was so for obvious reasons I'm paraphrasing but it was about a friend of Ralph's that had asked him back in the mid 80's if he cared about turning his team into a winner and Ralph said something like "someday" and his friend replied why not now? He went on to open his pocket book to players that demanded the highest of salaries in the NFL. Players like Kelly, Smith, Bennett. I sent Ralph a long letter in 2002 thanking him for all he had done for the Bills and keeping them in Buffalo. The Bills had just signed Bledsoe. He or someone in his office actually wrote me back telling me what an honor it had been to own a team in western NY and it was signed by Ralph. I still have the letter, but what changed? What turned him back into the owner I watched and read about in the 1970's? I know some of you will argue he still spends money, but he doesn't want to pay top coaches or top players any longer. He has gone back to treating the Bills as a business only. The front office is poorly run again. What changed I wonder. Free agency didn't help but the fact remains if Ralph wanted a winner we would have one.

As a small business owner, let me add my two cents. First, do not assume there is a correlation between how much you pay for something and what it is actually worth. Second, the best buy isn't necessarily the cheapest. A business owner is out to get the best value for the dollar period. The Bills are not the Dallas Cowboys. Fortunately for the Bills fans in Buffalo tickets to Bills games are some of the cheapest in the NFL. How many seats would Ralph sell if he were charging Dallas, New York or San Francisco prices? Probably no way near as many as he does today. How much Dallas Cowboy merchandise gets sold compared to Bill's merchandise? I think you get my drift.

I think Ralph is interested in getting the best value for the dollar. I think he does a good job at it. You and I want the Bills to be profitable. profitability is key to keeping the team in Buffalo. If sports was always about the money spent, the Yankees would win the World Series every year. We all know that has not happened.

I'm so tired of people like yourself saying Ralph is cheap. Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith were drafted and he paid them because they performed. The reason it looks like he doesn't pay free agents is because no free agent wants to come here. Free agents want to join winners or teams that are in warm weathered cities and not worn down pit holes like Buffalo. I spent 27 years in Buffalo and it doesn't have much to offer other than great people. The bottom line is the Bills drafted well in the 80's and because we had a good nucleus of players "thank you Polian/Butler" other players who were free agents wanted to play here. Bryce Paup, James Loften, and guys like Sam Adams wanted to come to Buffalo because they knew we had a team that could compete. Ralph Wilson will pay guys to come here but you can't force them to come when you are not winning. Also, as far as coaching goes: there were many years when Ralph went after the top coordinator such as Mike Mularkey and Greg williams. Is it his fault they couldn't get the job done? He also had guys like Wade Phillips and Chuck Knox who were coaches who had previous success. By the way this year he tried and went after all the big names, Gruden, Cowher, Shanahan, etc... Insiders were saying RW would have spent the bank to get one of them but guess what "they didn't want to come to a team with no talent". THE CURE------>start drafting better and Ralph will pay for all the missing pieces.

RW has stop paying for big free agents and coaches because of The Tom Donahoe era.TD failed to produce a winning team on the field and Ralphy felt he was sucker punched by some of the moves Donahoe made . The sting is still being felt today!!! There has been plenty of coaches /free agents that would of and could of help this team win. Will we ever see this team win again?? I believe the answer is yes when Mr.Wilson sells the team or he passes away the family sells it.

In order to draft better you need to get someone in who know talent. This team has past up players that are either in the probowl or play at a much higher level then what is on this team now. EX Aaron Maybin,Lynch,Loseman,Edwards,on and on. This teams need to get rid os Tom Modrak and whoever is drafting these BUSTS!!!!

You and I and some others are in the minority on this topic (his GM stint). What seems so obvious to me draws a counter view that I am not only insane but also a merchant of hatred. Maybe the true believers are right that the Bills lose simply because the are unlucky and there is a consipiracy against them. LOL

Edited by JohnC

Lookup the scant news items from 2000/2001, they all show that Smith resigned following Butler's departure. Butler was fired in December 2000 and Wilson announced that he would start a search for a replacement. Dwight Adams & Smith were the leading internal candidates and interviewed for the job. When Smith didn't get the job, he quit. Adams got a promotion and stayed.

I did some research and a couple of quotes by Smith indicated that once Butler was fired he also decided to leave. The quotes by Smith (as you noted) stated that when Butler was dismissed he was not going to stay.

My memory of the Ralph Wilson's press conference announcing Butler's termination still has me leaning toward Ralph asking Smith to take over, and Smith saying no and subsequently being dismissed by the owner. However, your position or interpretation is more likely because Smith was gone by his own volition when Butler was fired.

In summary, the confidence I had is shaken and I am now more confused than ever. LOL

Edited by JohnC