What happened to Ralph Wilson?

seq004

I commented on this topic a few days ago, and my overall point was that Wilson should give everything he can, in terms of financial support, to this team, to attempt to have a Championship won before he's passed on. To have seen the team come so close, and to watch it fall so far over the years, it seemed inexcusable not to make a final attempt, a sort of all in, at success.

Well, he has done one of the two things I have hoped he would. He's gone and made Buffalo one of, if not the most, numerously coached team in the NFL. I have always said, why pay all that money to players when you aren't spending what you can on good coaching? Well, we have a very well coached team, now.

I am starting to believe he is giving it a last effort, and I like that it is Nix who is in charge of building the team.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my opinion that Wilson views the Bills as a business, that he doesn't even identify with the actual team, but rather only the profits and or losses in earnings. Or, he is an old man who has lost his touch with reality, has very misguided people in charge of advising him, and he is afraid to lose his hold on the organization by changing much or any of its structure. Perhaps a little of both.

both?

who taught you how to count?

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Actually, I thought it was a well reasoned analysis of Levy's tenure. Note that he clearly said that Levy was the best person for the job from Wilson's perspective, but the worst person for the job from the team's perspective.

I'm still confounded that people can't move beyond the man's title and assume that he was responsible for all the decision making at OBD during his two years there, when there was ample evidence then and even growing evidence now, that he was brought in to restore the lines of communication from Orchard Park to Detroit.

But any organization where there's no accountability by management will end up a failure. Levy screwed up in taking the job thinking that he could effectively handle the GM duties much like he handled coaching - delegate the individual tasks to people responsible for their job and hope they do well. It worked for him in coaching because at the end of the day, he was at the top of the pyramid, but it didn't work as GM because key parts of the organization who made the decisions did not go through him but went straight to Wilson. That's why he was ineffective.

Why is this hard to comprehend. Nobody is saying that he was a good GM. What we're saying is that the biggest reason he failed is the structure that Wilson put in which would have made any GM ineffective, let alone a guy who's never done the job before.

Thank you, good post!

In actuality, Levy did some things that he thought would help the team become more competitive...

First, he brought in some free agents to bolster the O line in OG Derrick Dockery and RT Langston Walker. Now at first glance you would say these 2 were over paid under achievers while in Buffalo, when in fact Dockery grades out better then any current Bills OG and so does Walker at RT.

those two were the result of changing from 20+ year experienced O line coach to a guy who was promoted from within who was lacking coaching experience, the result was the entire O line underachieving, and failing badly. Also, what Marv failed to address was the center position which is STILL a weakness on the team. although, it might not be in 2011 if Wood takes over that position permanently from Hangartner.

Second, he hired Steve Fairchild away from the St Louis Rams to be the next OC, at the time this looked like a great move to bring the "greatest show on turf" into Buffalo and give us Bills fans "the greatest show in snow" But in reality Fairchild didn't stay long and Jauron replaced him with a QB coach who had no business as an OC, the guy isn't even in the NFL anymore. If that wasn't bad enough he fires that OC and replaces him with the QB coach again two weeks before the season starts. Its almost as if Jauron was trying to sabotage his own job.

The draft choices were Jaurons, the free agents after Levy left were Jaurons and the replacement coaches were Jaurons....looks like Dick Jauron was his own worst enemy! What it all boils down to is the owner / president has to take responsibility for that era, he hired them so its entirely his fault.