Tom D is a lousy GM

spidey

Drafts Willis with a torn up knee

Drafts Lee Evans with rehabilitated knee

Drafted Kelsey what a bust

Drafted denney what a bust ( interesting OL project)

Signed these UDFA's just fodder for camp

Gave away our number 1 for next year to get a #1 quality player this year

Looks like TD is making some good moves and maybe he finaly has a coaching staff that can develop these guys instead of that dunce GW and his band of teachers

Denney is going to be on the scrap heap soon.

Yes, I'm sure the Bills are eager to get rid a multi-dimensional player with a minimal salary who's shown the brains and adaptability to play 3 different positions. :o

Yes, I'm sure the Bills are eager to get rid a multi-dimensional player with a minimal salary who's shown the brains and adaptability to play 3 different positions.  :o

157998[/snapback]

his favorite is missionary.

Guest Guest_valle7878_*

Actually in the future Buffalo is going to be good with Kelsey, Schobel, Evens, McGahee and Losman as a foundation for the future and beyond. I think he is going to be around so get used to Donahoe I think he's done a good job the last 5 years.

Can I assume you are trying to show a sense of humor?

Looks like TD is making some good moves and maybe he finaly has a coaching staff that can develop these guys instead of that dunce GW and his band of teachers

157992[/snapback]

Actually in the future Buffalo is going to be good with Kelsey, Schobel, Evens, McGahee and Losman as a foundation for the future and beyond.  I think he is going to be around so get used to Donahoe I think he's done a good job the last 5 years.

158118[/snapback]

Plus the guy has had 8 sellouts last year and 6 of 7 this year and i can't think

the Pit game won't be a sellout...He is definitely filling in RWs bank account.

What a stupid take on the Bills GM. Willis is now 78 yards short of 1000 yards, has 10 touchdowns and has been a relevation at RB. Lee Evans now has 6 touchdowns and shows great hands and speed. Kelsey is playing solid football and is a valuable player on the dline and Denny is able to make plays from three positions on defense.

I doubt if you have any brains to respond to this topic as you are obviously retarted or developmentally disabled to post such an asanine thread.

157992[/snapback]

What a stupid take on the Bills GM.  Willis is now 78 yards short of 1000 yards, has 10 touchdowns and has been a relevation at RB.  Lee Evans now has 6 touchdowns and shows great hands and speed.  Kelsey is playing solid football and is a valuable player on the dline and Denny is able to make plays from three positions on defense.

I doubt if you have any brains to respond to this topic as you are obviously retarted or developmentally disabled to post such an asanine thread.

158221[/snapback]

Dude. Sarcasm.

Denney gets a lot of bad press. He's a better run stopper than Kelsay. That's primarily what he was drafted to do - hold his end of the line. He's great literaly defending stretch plays. You heard me...great. He's limited as a pass rusher, so he gets killed on this board. He's cheap depth at LDE that is solid against the run and will get pressures here and there when needed. Many teams use a run stopper at LDE, especially when they have an inside guy who is good at rushing the passer or collapsing the pocket. Denney is often in when Ron Edwards is in. Kelsay is usually in when Sam and Pat are in. The defense is a flexible, flowing thing, and Denney has played solid in his role.

The Pats have many solid defenders who don't have the stats because they're playing a role. An important role. Denney is one of those players for us. Posey is another.

Dude.  Sarcasm.

158228[/snapback]

Thanx AD I was going thru replies about various positions etc and than hit this one who didnt realize the sarcasm. I guess I now need to start doing <sarcasm> </sarcasm> or sarcasm on sarcasm off. Oh well some folks are slow on Monday AMs.

Denney gets a lot of bad press. He's a better run stopper than Kelsay. That's primarily what he was drafted to do - hold his end of the line. He's great literaly defending stretch plays. You heard me...great. He's limited as a pass rusher, so he gets killed on this board. He's cheap depth at LDE that is solid against the run and will get pressures here and there when needed. Many teams use a run stopper at LDE, especially when they have an inside guy who is good at rushing the passer or collapsing the pocket. Denney is often in when  Ron Edwards is in. Kelsay is usually in when Sam and Pat are in. The defense is a flexible, flowing thing, and Denney has played solid in his role.

The Pats have many solid defenders who don't have the stats because they're playing a role. An important role. Denney is one of those players for us. Posey is another.

158266[/snapback]

Very good post. I was never high on Denney, but as a situationsl DE, he is doing a wonderful job.

Denney gets a lot of bad press. He's a better run stopper than Kelsay. That's primarily what he was drafted to do - hold his end of the line. He's great literaly defending stretch plays. You heard me...great. He's limited as a pass rusher, so he gets killed on this board. He's cheap depth at LDE that is solid against the run and will get pressures here and there when needed. Many teams use a run stopper at LDE, especially when they have an inside guy who is good at rushing the passer or collapsing the pocket. Denney is often in when  Ron Edwards is in. Kelsay is usually in when Sam and Pat are in. The defense is a flexible, flowing thing, and Denney has played solid in his role.

158266[/snapback]

Plus Denny is showing he will do whatever the team neds him to. Sounds just like what BB does with folks in NE. Denny may not be the Stud that teams fear but he does get the job done with the rest of the supporting cast. It seems fans B word about anyone on the roster who isnt all pro material.

Very good post. I was never high on Denney, but as a situationsl DE, he is doing a wonderful job.

158283[/snapback]

Cliffnotes begin: At any rate, if the price is right Denney certainly remains a Bill in my mind as he has played adequately as a back-up LDE and most of the disappointment is actually fans having unreasonable expectations for a player at his skill level whom TD had to reach for to fill a need because he was doing other stuff which ended up with us getting WM. Cliffnotes end.

I think you and spidey are right to flag the numerous post which rate Denney a bust. He is a bust to the extent that he is a disappointment, but this probably says as much about the non-football hopes and overassessment of us fans than it does about Denny's play.

I think the Bills fanbase is deeply disappointed in him because our expectations were based on us being fans and wanting and foolishly expecting every 2nd reounder to be as productive as Thurman Thomas and even every 7th rounder to be as good as A. Reed.

Teams do catch this lightening in a bottle from time to time (unless they are AZ or Cleveland), but often and usually don't. In fact, it is a testimonial to TD having a extremely strong record as the leader of our draft team that the Bills show some pretty remarkable results compared to the rest of the league in his brief time (for draft comparison purposes) of being here.

Overall my assessment of Denny is thus:

1. 2002 Draft- The Bills had a clear need for an OL player and TD correctly took MW who has disappointed until this season but was as good or a better chice than McKinnie with our pick. With his second choice DE was a clear need because TD had stupidly hired GW who stupidly switched us to a 4-3 from Cottrell's effective 3-4 at the same time Wiley, Hansen, Washington and even BS were leaving.

We needed a DE (or at least a DT) bad but with our second pick he had an unexpected shot at Jake Reed which proved to be a great pick initially because Reed was so productive as a rookie in the high-flying pass happy Bills O that year with Bledsoe, Moulds and Price. This proved to be a great move in total as because even though Reed has since disappointed and failed to step up to replace Price, it was getting Reed which allowed us to let Price go and we received the draft pick which turned into Willis McGahee for all this shifting.

This left us with a huge DE need and our third pick to fill it. As best as i can tell there were two things important about this task 1. Denney was the best DE propsect on the board at this time (if there was someone better then give us the name- my guess is that there was some UDFA or low pick who has played better than Denney at LDE but this would be hindsight as I think Denney was rated the best available by a good chunk at the time. and 2. Pittsburgh was going to pick Denney unless we paid the cost of jumping ahead of them.

As it was, TD played it just right as he arranged a deal which was not insubstantial but not huge of giving up a 4th to jump ahead of Pittsburgh who was on the phone with Denney. TD played it so the deal was announced so late that Pitts could not outflank us and he got the personal pleasure of sticking it to his former team.

If Denney were lower rated, or if TD had gone out of our way to jump ahead of Pittsburgh to take a non Bills need this would have been bad, but it wasn't so I have no problem with this.

2. 2002 Season- Denney disappointed big time as he proved to need help with the details of DE play and how he used his leverage and body that he was not even worthy of activation most of the season. It happens that a rookie is not a vet yet and cannot contribute while he learns the game, but Denney actually showed even less as a rookie as he not only didn't contribute but he was not even good enough to play. He was a bust by anyone's measure and the Bills (and Pittsburgh) miscalculated how much he would give as a rookie since one of his attributes was that due to huis missionary service he was older and would take well to development.

3. 2003 Season- Denney really stepped it up a notch because not only was he now ready to play, but in fact he proved ready to be a starter. A reasonable question would be whether he wwas starting simply because we were so bad on the DL or did he really step it up a notch from his inactive output. The first was reasonable to assume as the Bills decided to draft Kelsay even though we spent high draft resources on LDE the year before.

However, I judge the second point to be the true one as the D as a whole turned out to be very productive with Denney in there as it ranked in the top 5 statistically in the league. In terms of specifics, Denney was not the sackmaster we had gotten used to with Bruce, but facts are facts and the D was productive with Denney as starter. Specifically Denney learned as an athlete to use his body and get proper leverage so he was not easily defeated by a vet opponent. Further, Denney proved to be fairly mobile as an athlete and given his large height and wingspan the run blitz was made for him as he demonstrated the ability to do good middle zone coverage and free up an LB be make an unexpected blitz.

He was not good enough as he has not been enough of a rush threat to suck the OL his way freeing lanes for an LB in the run blitz, but he has able to be an important part of a run D where even the best RBs find it tough to get 100 yards and he is a pass coverage demon which allows LBs to shoot the gap.

4. 2004 season- He was surpassed by Kelsay who has developed a second rush move with greater utility than Denney and is stronger on the bull rush (asseen in his sack yesterday that forces the OL to shift his way. Still we are light at DE where Schobel, Kelsay and Denney have to man the 2 positions and we are one ding away from Denney or someone having to start every down. Denny apparently has taken to the MM way that Bills are football players first and position players second. Thus it was great to see him comfortably use his athleticism to get some TE time yesterday where we have a huge need due to season ending injury to Campbell and Euhus. One of my very few disappointments from yesterday us that Moorman was not able to get off more of a pass on the muffed KO because Denney was his target and it would have been great to see him get a TD (I assume he did not pull a Peters and announced himself as a TE to the refs).