Retirement advice

Bills99999

I plan to semi-retire in December of 2002

Part of my retirement is a (approx) $120,000 lump sum payment

I plan to use about $20,000 to put into some home improvements, about another $ 10,000 into a kid's college tuition, and about $5,000 into cheap vodka

What do I do with the rest?

Edited by Bills99999

I plan to use about $20,000 to put into some home improvements, about another $ 10,000 into a kid's college tuition, and about $5,000 into cheap vodka

Don't get into anything requiring you to know what decade it is.

Don't get into anything requiring you to know what decade it is.

I read your post three times before I "got it"

I know I have been drinking tonight, but it has come to to the point where I can no longer hide behind that excuse

Maybe I need to retire NOW?

Maybe not. I am less senile than the powers that be are STUPID, and there is not enough vodka in the world to make me stupid as they are

Correction--I will retire in Dec of 2012

Edited by Bills99999

I read your post three times before I "got it"

I know I have been drinking tonight, but it has come to to the point where I can no longer hide behind that excuse

Maybe I need to retire quit drinking NOW?

Maybe not. I am less senile than the powers that be are STUPID, and there is not enough vodka in the world to make me stupid as they are

Correction--I will retire in Dec of 2012

Man I love my beer, But quit the juice. The world is so much more interesting when you're sober and not hung over. Easy to say, sometimes hard to do but I did it.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Have you budgeted for mixers?

a rough guidline is to take your age and subtract it from 100. that's the starting point for percentage of savings in stocks. the rest should usually be consevatively invested in bonds or money markets etc (unless you have a big cushion for retirement). i like index funds for stocks as the fees are low and they beat managed funds about 70% of the time but stock picking really amounts to gambling in todays market. why not try your hand at the stock picking game over at ppp (2011 stock picking thread) and get some free practice?

Save it for the liver transplant.