We'll Be Drafting Our Franchise QB This Year

Bangarang

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I realize the neccessity of a real franchise QB, the Bills have no business drafting ANY QB with the defense and the OLine looking like they do. Don't waste a 2nd on a question mark when it could be used on a pillar that this team sorely needs.

I'm with you. We need impact players on D now.

And it won't be in the 1st round. We'll be drafting Christian Ponder in the 2nd round. This is exactly the kind of player that Nix likes. Chan will also be coaching him in the Senior Bowl and will fall in love with this kid.

He has everything you'd look for in a franchise QB. 3 year starter in a pro style offense. Very smart; graduated in 2.5 years w/ a 3.7 GPA and is currently finishing up a graduate degree. Good size and strength with very good athleticism. Strong arm capable of making all the NFL throws with ease. Can read defenses and go through progressions.

His draft stock was hurt because he played through injuries his senior year and has had a couple of surgeries on his throwing arm. However, if our doctors find nothing is structurally wrong with his arm and everything checks out, he's going to be our pick at the top of the 2nd.

Been following him and watching him since last year and this guy just looks like an NFL quarterback. He literally carried resurrected and carried that Florida State team. He just needs to be coached up and who better to do that than our very own Chan?

You might be right

Excellent post

They will take him in round 3 or 4, no higher. He did play in the Pistol offense which Chan Gailey used in KC when he was the offense cooridinator.

Sorry, Ponder didn't play in the pistol offense. FSU ran plays out of the pistol formation, but was much closer to pro-style with the majority of snaps coming from either under center or shotgun.

Cam Newton

I think it's 50-50 that they take Newton. They do of course need DL, OT, and TE and numerous other posiitons. If they elect to go DT in the first and OT in the second then I like Andy Dalton from TCU in the 3rd or 4th round. Dalton has won big games over several years. He shows great leadership. I was very impressed with him against Wisconsin. I thought he was outstanding in that game. He is not a one year wonder either.

As much as I realize the neccessity of a real franchise QB, the Bills have no business drafting ANY QB with the defense and the OLine looking like they do. Don't waste a 2nd on a question mark when it could be used on a pillar that this team sorely needs.

Like Troup!

And it won't be in the 1st round. We'll be drafting Christian Ponder in the 2nd round. This is exactly the kind of player that Nix likes. Chan will also be coaching him in the Senior Bowl and will fall in love with this kid.

While we may draft a QB, one should lower expections about them being a franchiser...

I don't know if Nix will go for him, but after watching all the FSU games the last few years, I think he will do well in the NFL. He reminds me a bit of Jim Kelly in that he never takes a play off. As soon as he throws or hands off, he looks for someone to hit. Unlike Kelly, he can win with his feet. He runs awfully well for a guy his size and has a good sense of when it's time to slide. The reason we don't know more about him is that he had the worst defense in college football this year. He constantly had to outscore opponents.

If he does come to Buffalo, he may well have the worst defense in the NFL if we don't get this draft right.

That's the thing. We just ended up with a high pick in a year w/o "franchise" QBs or Bruce Smiths available. I hope they don't take Newton at 3 just to pick a QB that high. We would know then that Buddy has lost it or that Ralph is meddling again. I hope Nix faces reality and decides to trade down a bit, if a deal is available.

if we don't go with Newton, we'll probably take Ponder or Dalton. I just can't see us missing the opportunity to make a huge improvement on the defensive line with the best or possibly second best defensive lineman available in the draft. Newton is going to be hard to pass up, but I think we'd be wise to address our major area of need.

He just needs to be coached up and who better to do that than our very own Chan?

This actually states the exact problem for anyone who wants to claim any rookie QB is exactly the type Nix wants in that even if this true, exactly the type Gailey has experienced success in the past working with and seems to like is a vet QB who has learned to read pro defenses to produce quick decisions.

Gailey simply has no experience I am aware of that he has been successful producing a rookie who can make his O work.

If the Bills were to go with a QB draftee with any expectation he is going to produce this year the likelihood would be they have made such a choice with zero demonstration that Gailey can make it work a rookie QB.

• 1 month later...

Mallett and Locker look to be the best throwing QBs by far. Newton wasn`t even close . Locker also ran a faster 40 than Fig Newton. Locker was the top rated QB last year on by most scouts. His accuracy was a problem they say. Today he looked really good. Mallett has a cannon arm .He also made nice throws. Throw in Gabbert and these are your top three. I think Chan could really turn Locker into a top notch QB. Is he or any of these three worth the 3rd pick ? I don`t know . I think Locker will work his butt off and be a leader. Sit him behind Fitz for a year and learn from Chan and him. I don`t know how far we could trade down to pick this kid or pick him in the 2nd. This is IF we need a QB. I still like

Rd 1 Marcell Darius

Rd 2 Phil Taylor

Rd 3 Kelvin Sheppard

I think we learned today from Cam's performance is that he is a work in progress. While his timing and accuracy was way off during the short to intermediate range throws, he seemed to throw the deep ball pretty nicely. His throwing mechanics are pretty polished and thus he has nice touch on his throws. He looks uncomfortable, however, working from under center and throwing from 3 and 5 step drops (that's to be expected). His measurables are off the charts, as he is remarkably quick and agile for a man of his stature.

Morale of the story...his is who we though he is. If he is coachable and maintains a solid work ethic, he likely will be a successful NFL QB in the future. Great prospect, but IMHO, not worth the #3 overall pick in the draft.

Fairley, Dareus, or Quinn....in that order.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I think we learned today from Cam's performance is that he is a work in progress. While his timing and accuracy was way off during the short to intermediate range throws, he seemed to throw the deep ball pretty nicely. His throwing mechanics are pretty polished and thus he has nice touch on his throws. He looks uncomfortable, however, working from under center and throwing from 3 and 5 step drops (that's to be expected). His measurables are off the charts, as he is remarkably quick and agile for a man of his stature.

Morale of the story...his is who we though he is. If he is coachable and maintains a solid work ethic, he likely will be a successful NFL QB in the future. Great prospect, but IMHO, not worth the #3 overall pick in the draft.

Fairley, Dareus, or Quinn....in that order.

Fairley looks to play too upright and stiff to me. Darius looks to stay lower . He also looks to have more upper body strength. Will see tomorrow at the combine.