Remember now - Overtime rules changes in playoffs

If first possession of the overtime ends with a field goal, the scoring team will have to kick off and the other team will have a chance to either answer with a field goal or with a touchdown that would win the contest.

If the first possession ends with a touchdown, the game will be over. If the opening possession ends with no score, the overtime will proceed as it has in the past -- with the first team to get on the board winning the contest.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2011/01/07/NFL-playoffs-open-with-key-rules-change/UPI-59381294455100/

Personally I would love to see a game go to overtime. I like the added element of strategy that this offers to the game.

This rule leaves a lot to be desired.

Team A scores a FG in OT.

Team B, on the ensuing possession, throws a pick. A proceeds to fumble the ball on the same play. B recovers. Game over, A wins.

Team A performs an onside kick. A scores a FG. A wins.

Team A has the first possession, fumbles the ball, B recovers but then fumbles to A on the same play. A scores a FG. A wins.

A lot of strange possibilities are possible. Why not just keep playing 15 minute quarters until the game is no longer tied at the end of the quarter? That is a lot simpler and has the potential for more ad revenue.

It's not perfect but it's a distinct improvement and I'll take it for now.

I'm kind of starting to lean toward the Win by 4 plan somebody proposed a while back. Simple but effective, with potential for high drama.

Perhaps even better...Win by 5?

Or, to make it even more fair (since all else should be sacrificed onto the alert of 'fair'), give each QB ten throws and see who can put the most through a tire hanging from the goalpost. Think of how the drama would build round after round of tire throws!

Or, to make it even more fair (since all else should be sacrificed onto the alert of 'fair'), give each QB ten throws and see who can put the most through a tire hanging from the goalpost. Think of how the drama would build round after round of tire throws!

Makes about as much sense as the NHL shootout haha.

Makes about as much sense as the NHL shootout haha.

Oooh.....an NFL shootout! Let's see now. How about one play from the five yard line, 3-on-3, 5-Mississippi rush count. Alternating tries with a best of 3 format like the NHL. Imagine the drama!!!

They should call it the Brett Favre rule.

I remember when this came up for a vote and The Bills were one of only a handful of teams that voted against it, and them getting a lot of crap here about their "no" vote.

Turns out - the owners were trying to pull a fast one. Very few of their coaches were consulted on the rule change.

Chan was the one who cast The Bills vote. For whatever reason, they let him vote however he wanted. I believe he was against it based on the fact that it's a different rule for the playoffs and didn't consider it fair to have different rules for them.

Stupid. Plain and simple.

I heard somewhere that of the 19 games to go into OT this season, only 2 of which ended on the first possession. Plus, I think that has only happened twice in the past 10 years in playoff OT games.

They don't need to change anything, yet they're trying to re-invent the wheel. If they must change the OT rule, then just make it a full quarter. If tied after that, then go sudden death. It's not complicated.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the NFL Europe of late rule worked great; each team gets an equal amount of drives (as in posession but they have to field the offense). i.e. team A starts, fails to score, team B scores and wins. Team A makes a FG, team B makes a TD, B wins. A makes FG, B makes FG, still tied continue on. Lots of spectacle for the fans and honest as well.

If first possession of the overtime ends with a field goal, the scoring team will have to kick off and the other team will have a chance to either answer with a field goal or with a touchdown that would win the contest.

If the first possession ends with a touchdown, the game will be over. If the opening possession ends with no score, the overtime will proceed as it has in the past -- with the first team to get on the board winning the contest.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2011/01/07/NFL-playoffs-open-with-key-rules-change/UPI-59381294455100/

Personally I would love to see a game go to overtime. I like the added element of strategy that this offers to the game.

I like the change. It's good for the game.