Concerns about getting real quality at 3

Virgil

Positive or negative, the Andrew Luck saga had me glued to this years NFL Draft. Now that's over, I'm having problems getting excited about this years draft. Don't get me wrong, I know that getting the 3rd best college pro should be a huge lift to a team, but these guys all have things about them that worry me.

Fairly - First off, we have Kyle Williams who is solid and we just drafted Troupe. Besides that, Fairly kinda reminds me of Wilford, who I hate. The guy just plays dirty from what I can tell. At first I thought I was nuts, but then there was an article about it today. And believe me, there is plenty of tape on him doing things like driving QB's into the ground, late hits, etc... Character is a big thing to me and I don't know that A) we need a DT, and B) he is a guy I can root for him

Bowers - First off, the guy plays for Clemson. Next, I keep hearing that he is a 4-3 DE and would have to be a 3-4 OLB, which he would have to learn. Call me gun shy after Maybin, but that just scares me. I do keep hearing about what kind of an athletic freak he is, but I wonder how much of that would be lost trying to play in our system.

Dareus/Quinn/Jordan - All three guys I hear are good, but not number 3 pick good. Dareus is from UNC and I will always question the competition he faced. Quinn is a DE/DT, which to me means he is a DE in our 3-4 system. Again, looks like a solid, kid, but not a number 3 pick that is going to make that much of an impact. Jordan, is more of the same. Good guy, solid play, just not breakthrough.

At the end of the day, I've seen nothing of these kids besides hightlight videos. I promise you I'm not trying to be negative with this. I want to by psyched for the draft. I just need to hear some great things about some of these kids. Cause of right now, I hope that Cam Newton and Gabbert get hyped up and make people want us to trade back. For right now, the only thing i'm looking forward to is getting a lot of picks and getting solid depth players.

So trade back, and hope either Dareus, Quinn, or Jordan is there

Edited by Derek in Va

A CB would be the Stupidist thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fairly - First off, we have Kyle Williams who is solid and we just drafted Troupe. Besides that, Fairly kinda reminds me of Wilford, who I hate. The guy just plays dirty from what I can tell. At first I thought I was nuts, but then there was an article about it today. And believe me, there is plenty of tape on him doing things like driving QB's into the ground, late hits, etc... Character is a big thing to me and I don't know that A) we need a DT, and B) he is a guy I can root for him

Bowers - First off, the guy plays for Clemson. Next, I keep hearing that he is a 4-3 DE and would have to be a 3-4 OLB, which he would have to learn. Call me gun shy after Maybin, but that just scares me. I do keep hearing about what kind of an athletic freak he is, but I wonder how much of that would be lost trying to play in our system.

Dareus/Quinn/Jordan - All three guys I hear are good, but not number 3 pick good. Dareus is from UNC and I will always question the competition he faced. Quinn is a DE/DT, which to me means he is a DE in our 3-4 system. Again, looks like a solid, kid, but not a number 3 pick that is going to make that much of an impact. Jordan, is more of the same. Good guy, solid play, just not breakthrough.

At the end of the day, I've seen nothing of these kids besides hightlight videos. I promise you I'm not trying to be negative with this. I want to by psyched for the draft. I just need to hear some great things about some of these kids. Cause of right now, I hope that Cam Newton and Gabbert get hyped up and make people want us to trade back. For right now, the only thing i'm looking forward to is getting a lot of picks and getting solid depth players.

There's a very fine line between a dirty player and a hard-hitting, dirt-driving hog of a guy.

Not sure which side Fairley is on, know I want to see Bills draft some mean-ass hard-hitting, dirt driving D

What about OT?

Character is a big thing to me and I don't know that A) we need a DT, and B) he is a guy I can root for him

Marv is that you?

If Fairley is there, and at this point it's a big if you take him and laugh. He is going to be a big mean physical lineman in this league and he's the kind of player you want playing for your team. You mentioned Wilfork. Believe me, if he were a Bill, you'd love him.

If Fairley isn't there I'm kind of with you that the others don't really excite me. I'd maybe move down a few spots if it's possible and pick up one of those guys or Carimi.

Dareus is from 'Bama and has faced top competition. He dominated Michigan State in their bowl game. I would not be disappointed with him.

Beat me to it. Have seen some Auburn games and Fairly hasn't stood out, need one more look at him to know for sure. Dareus is awesome and would love to have him and he looks way bigger than 306 I'd say 330 and would make an monster end for us with Kyle at the other end and get a real Nose Tackle (Phil Taylor 6'4" 355) and our run problems will be over. Cameron Heward looked unstoppable against Arkansas wouldn't mind getting him in the second if there.

Beat me to it. Have seen some Auburn games and Fairly hasn't stood out, need one more look at him to know for sure. Dareus is awesome and would love to have him and he looks way bigger than 306 I'd say 330 and would make an monster end for us with Kyle at the other end and get a real Nose Tackle (Phil Taylor 6'4" 355) and our run problems will be over. Cameron Heward looked unstoppable against Arkansas wouldn't mind getting him in the second if there.

I cannot imagine "our run problems will be over" if we still have junk like Kelsay playing OLB and unable to comtain the edge.

The Bills didn't give up 200 a game on the ground up the middle. An awful lot of that was RB's getting around the edge on us.

And your scenario means you've declared both our second (Troupe) and third (Carrington) round draft picks last year to be busts - you realize that, right?

Edited by BobChalmers

I cannot imagine "our run problems will be over" if we still have junk like Kelsay playing OLB and unable to comtain the edge.

The Bills didn't give up 200 a game on the ground up the middle. An awful lot of that was RB's getting around the edge on us.

And your scenario means you've declared both our second (Troupe) and third (Carrington) round draft picks last year to be busts - you realize that, right?

You do realize that the last 2 games Kelsey played DE and OLB was Moats. In the alinement they were in 80% of the time it was Moats job to contain. There were a few plays where Kelsey blew by the guys he should have been stopping but his gap was not the hole on some of the big runs.

Wait first we had to lose our games to get a higher pick, now we should be drafting later because there is nobody worth the pick we have? If Stevie catches that pass, and a FG in KC counts we draft Gave Carimi right where he should be drafted.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Positive or negative, the Andrew Luck saga had me glued to this years NFL Draft. Now that's over, I'm having problems getting excited about this years draft. Don't get me wrong, I know that getting the 3rd best college pro should be a huge lift to a team, but these guys all have things about them that worry me.

Feel exactly the same. I don't like drafting question marks like Newton and mallett, but I don't see any #3 value in these D-lineman at all. From watching their recent games, Fairly looks like the best of them, but he'll probably be gone. Wish there was a Clay Matthews-type LB in this year's draft.

I agree with the OP that Luck not being in the draft definitely loses some excitement.

But there are still some good football players out there and hopefully we get one.

Drafting a def. lineman is never a sure thing, as Bill fans well know.

But we HAVE to make the commitment to build the front seven.

Since they appear to be keeping George Edwards,who is no genius, they should give him all the help they can.

Does Fairly still have another year of college eligibility? Has he declared that he is entering the NFL draft?

I know it sounds nuts that he wouldn't go to the NFL, but who would have thought Luck would back out, knowing he would be the #1 pick? I don't follow colleg ball as much as some of you, so I don't know all the logic. Can anyone tell me, would a possible NFL lock-out deter some kids from going pro this year? It seems like, more and more, the best players in the NFL draft are Sophmores or Juniors. Just curious if anyone had any opnion on this...

Edited by Buftex