Excitment over Harbaugh!!!!

cmjoyce113

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with someone hiring him but he DOESN'T deserve 7-8 million per year. That's the type of money you give a proven head coach (not player) that has good experience at drafting and developing talent at the NFL level - Cowher, Bellichick etc.

It blows my mind that someone like Harbaugh could enter in the league with no experience and make more money than the hoodie himself who is by far and proven to be an elite headcoach.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Luck is definitely coming out; there will be a rookie salary structure in place in 2012.

Like I said, there is NO WAY Luck is coming out, not with a chance to win a Pac 10 title and perhaps a Nat'l Championship. The NFL will still be there next year.

:D

Uh, no. I am definitely hoping Harbaugh lands in SF. He's a great coach.

I really thought he would - he even made Miami fly to him, rather than traveling to Miami himself - but the Dolphins are offering sooooo much $$$$$$ that the 49ers are backing away. Elway also wants to interview him for the Broncos, so I guess we'll have to stay tuned until tomorrow...

Edited by The Senator

Could day the same thing about Spurrier, how'd that work. Ther were others too. Just because he has "connections" doesn't mean he can coach.

It's not like he's an unknown quantity. Had a long career in the NFL. Tons of connections in the league.

The coaching community is a very small and close-knit group and they universally regard Harbaugh as a great one. Everyone knows he'll become a star in this league.

Tiger Woods was unproven coming out of Stanford but everyone knew he'd kill on the tour. Same thing here. Everyone knows Harbaugh is great.

If he wanted to come to Buffalo, I'd have no qualms firing Gailey if I were Ralph. Of course that's a pipe dream.

It's stupid. It's all stupid. The guy won a bcs bowl. Nobody even remembers those. He didn't even win his conference. He had Andre Luck. I'm sure he's a great coach and he's done well but the level of "hotness" this guy has right now is insane. Good for him, bad for teams like Miami. I hope he takes it, they refuse to fire him, and he's mediocre at best for years.

Edited by dayman

I really thought he would - he even made Miami fly to him, rather than traveling to Miami himself - but the Dolphins are offering sooooo much $$$$$$ that the 49ers are backing away. Elway also wants to interview him for the Broncos, so I guess we'll have to stay tuned until tomorrow...

Plus, the rumor is Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh won't play nice together.

Shoulda guessed this was coming, after the Luck announcement...

Andrew Luck is returning to Stanford for the 2011 season. Now the school’s president is doing his best to bring Jim Harbaugh back as Luck’s coach.

(Link - Jim Harbaugh meets with Stanford president)

Amazingly, after all this, Harbaugh may end up staying at Stanford :wacko:

Man I wish we had done better than Gailey, I'd rather have Perry right now as coach he's young and passionate and that seems to be the new trend of coaches around the league (i.e) TB, Pitt, KC,now Dallas. I'm highly unmotivated with our current regime, I really don't like Gailey & Co..

I also think that interviewing for a position that isn't open is classless. Brian Billick was on Mike & Mike this morning and said that is something that coaches just don't to do each other. He said that might make it hard for him to assemble a quality staff when he does get hired because it's going to be hard to trust someone like that.

Wait, Harbaugh did something that was classless? :doh: I was at the Stanford-Notre Dame game back in September. He's a jerk - or at least he acts like one. But that's apparently par for the course at Stanford: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Band

Yea I appreciate the Wikipedia Link you provided me showing me that he is 58 and 27 in college. That will make him Bill Bellichek in the pros. You might also want to look at who they played the 2 years... they were a 1 AA school. I certainly don't think that he's anything special but that's me.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Harbaugh:

Was a 4 year letterman at Michigan where he was All-American his senior year. Led the nation in passing efficiency his junior year. Third in the Heisman balloting. Top five in every major Michigan passing category. Academic All-American, etc. etc. etc.

Had a 14 year NFL career, was Comeback Player of the Year, played in a Pro Bowl, and earned the nickname "Captain Comeback" for his heroic 4th quarter rallies. Played in 177 career games, starting 140 of them.

While still an NFL quarterback Jim Harbaugh was, for 8 seasons was an unpaid assistant to his father, Jack, who had a very long head coaching career at Western Kentucky and Western Michigan (117-94-3).

Jim Harbaugh was assistant coach for the Raiders in 2002-2003 when QB Rich Gannon won the MVP (2002).

In 2004 he took over the University of San Diego (who? exactly). They won two games before his arrival. He went 7-4, 11-1, 11-1 and developed QB Josh Johnson who was a 5th round pick of the Tampa Bay Bucs.

In 2006 became Stanford head coach. He's 29-21 in 4 seasons after inheriting a perennial doormat. The year before he was hired The Cardinal was 1-11. This year they were 12-1.

Stanford has beaten USC three times in Harbaugh's four years including the biggest upset in NCAA football history when they beat USC in 2007 when Stanford was a 41 point underdog.

One of the top scholastic quarterbacks, Andrew Luck, chose Stanford and started as a freshman this year. Andrew's father, Oliver Luck is a former NFL quarterback. The elder luck wanted his son to be coached by Harbaugh despite being recruited by several more prestigious programs.

In spite of being a quarterback and excellent quarterbacks coach and coordinator, Harbaugh ran a run-heavy, smash-mouth offense featuring Toby Gerhart last year to protect his porous defense and young quarterback last year.

Jim's brother John, despite being a special teams coach, was hired as the Baltimore Ravens head coach and has compiled a 20-12 regular season record with 2 playoff appearances in 2 seasons.

Jim Harbaugh was raised to be a football player and after his playing days ended, to be a head football coach. There is hardly anyone associated with big time football who doesn't think that he'll be a very successful NFL head coach someday.

I keep saying this but nobody listens...the CBA has expired. No player will be signed without a new CBA. The new CBA will contain a rookie cap/scale. Players drafted this April will be subject to that cap/scale.

Really, I mean it.

But Beerball, it has been reported that if the new CBA includes a rookie wage scale that the scale might not be instituted until 2012. So what you've been stating is not necessarily a certainty.

Yeah, I'm scared, Senator. We now have to deal with two Belichicks in the division.

Sigh. If only Ralph were competitive enough to pay top dollar for coach and GM.

As Charlie Casserly reported and was later verified, the Bills approached Jim Harbaugh last year but he was not interested in the head coaching job that was eventually given to Chan Gailey.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan